chiller sizing

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 9, 2021
Messages
1,355
Reaction score
906
Location
bloomington il
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting some tanks out in my barn/mancave Display volume 240 gallons sump is about 400 gallons. Minus live rock it’s about 500 gallons total water volume. Buildings heated but not air conditioned. It can get up to mid 80s low 90s so I’m wanting about 10 degrees pull-down in the heat of the summer. I put an old chiller on there for now but it’s way overkill.
Should I be looking at like 1 or 1.5 hp chillers? trying to keep it fairly sized to control running costs. Any brands recommended these days?
 
Why not keep running the old one?

New 1 hp jbj is over $2000.
 
Why not keep running the old one?

New 1 hp jbj is over $2000.
I can get an old 1 hp for $ 100 locally from a reefer that went led, or a newer 1.5 hp if I trade some corals for it from a local pet shop. I am mainly trying to figure which one to get
 
Get both, have one for backup...
 
I ran a tradewinds 3/4 HP on a system of similar volume, though perhaps a little less pull-down …. it was more than I needed. I’d think 1 HP would suffice for you.
 
Thanks for the replies I’m gonna get the 1 hp It will draw less power and can use a lower watt pump than what I’ve been playing with
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new