Chiton ID Good or Bad

learn2reef

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 24, 2021
Messages
50
Reaction score
17
Location
Maryland
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a chiton? Is this type reef safe? Just arrived on a snail in the mail.

C109CAD9-17CE-4D40-B858-68B2BA851588.jpeg DB39FE29-13BA-41BF-A876-E35D567E90F2.jpeg
 
Is this a chiton? Is this type reef safe? Just arrived on a snail in the mail.

C109CAD9-17CE-4D40-B858-68B2BA851588.jpeg DB39FE29-13BA-41BF-A876-E35D567E90F2.jpeg
Gorgeous looking chiton! I have only heard of reef-safe chitons in the hobby (both hitchhikers and commercially available chitons) and the individual in the pictures resembles those that are sold to combat algae. However, I am not sure about the species, so I cannot say for certain that it is safe. Do you have a sump you could hold it in?
 
I have never heard of a non reef safe chiton. Cool find.
 
I have only ever found one chiton before and I never saw it again. Is was about 1/2" long.
Screenshot_20220530-101639_Photos.jpg
 
I have only ever found one chiton before and I never saw it again. Is was about 1/2" long.
Screenshot_20220530-101639_Photos.jpg
I've got tons of them! Tiny ones that come out at night :)
 
I believe it is a Chiton marmoratus (Marbled Chiton) . At first it looked like a temperate species. Chitons tend to be nocturnal, known as algae "farmers" prefer a smoother rock and tend to come back to their same "parking spot" during the day.
 
I think I have a bad kind.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3428.jpeg
    IMG_3428.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_3424.jpeg
    IMG_3424.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_3421.jpeg
    IMG_3421.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_3432.png
    IMG_3432.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 376
Good and a very beautiful chiton you got there.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 18.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new