Chlorine to disinfect QT

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, working on a little experiment and I need some help. I've been able to glean the following from this article: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa164
  • 2.4 mg/L (or ppm) chlorine exposure eradicates ich free swimmers in 1 hour
  • 60 mg/L chlorine is required for 24 hours to kill all ich tomonts (encysted stage)
Where I'm coming up a little short is what chlorine concentration is required to kill all viruses & bacteria in a QT? I'm reading anywhere from 1-10 ppm online.

I'm wanting to dose liquid bleach (8.25% sodium hypochlorite) directly into a QT, circulate and then wait to see how long it takes for it to fully evaporate. I've got a chlorine test kit I'll use to figure out a dosage per gallon required to achieve the target concentration, and also to see how long before it fully evaporates. Without having to use a neutralizer.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, 1 cup of 8% sodium hypochlorite added to 25 gallons (400 cups of water) will be raising the sodium hypochlorite in the tank to 8/400 = 0.02% sodium hypochlorite, or 0.0002 kg/L = 0.2 g/L = 200 mg/L = 200 ppm. Err on the high side, IMO. Why not just use a cup per 25 gallons?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the application? Sterilizing an empty tank or an occupied tank?

Sterilizing an empty QT in-between batches of fish. What I'm primarily trying to target is heterotrophic bacteria that use organic carbon as food and (I believe) will also biodegrade most medications if allowed to build-up in a long-term QT.

FWIW, 1 cup of 8% sodium hypochlorite added to 25 gallons (400 cups of water) will be raising the sodium hypochlorite in the tank to 8/400 = 0.02% sodium hypochlorite, or 0.0002 kg/L = 0.2 g/L = 200 mg/L = 200 ppm. Err on the high side, IMO. Why not just use a cup per 25 gallons?

Thank you for chiming in, Randy. Do you think one cup per 25 gallons would be potent enough to disinfect heterotrophic bacteria from the water? This is a bare bottom, rockless QT FYI. Any concerns about damaging pumps/equipment at that concentration? Any idea how long it would take for that much chlorine to completely evaporate?

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW Jay instructed me to hit systems with 250ppm sodium hypochlorite for full nuke. I suspect this includes heterotrophic bacteria, but I will double check.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following!

fab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any concerns about damaging pumps/equipment

Will this chemical have any damaging effect on sealant materials? ... make them age or become brittle, lose their grip, or bring on leaks somehow?

I love this thread. I have been wanting to know an absolute - LOL - way of preparing a Hospital Tank or a Quarantine Tank for reuse.

Is Bleach the same as sodium hypochlorite or does bleach just contain sodium hypochlorite? How do we know we are buying the right stuff if we buy a bleach from a normal grocery store?

Your work will be very valuable to me, for sure. Thank you for this endeavor and all the other research and science you do for us. I am hopelessly incompetent in chemistry, like a dyslexic trying to read an encyclopedia in a foreign language under poor light.

fab

Last edited:

fab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, would a dose of direct sunshine help after emptying the tank and rinsing them clear of the chemicals? How much of a dose of el sol?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think it will noticeably evaporate, but I'd cover it. It is mostly present as OCl-, not Cl2 or HOCl. I think it will spontaneously break down faster than evaporating unless it is very acidic.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this chemical have any damaging effect on sealant materials? ... make them age or become brittle, lose their grip, or bring on leaks somehow?

I love this thread. I have been wanting to know an absolute - LOL - way of preparing a Hospital Tank or a Quarantine Tank for reuse.

Is Bleach the same as sodium hypochlorite or does bleach just contain sodium hypochlorite? How do we know we are buying the right stuff if we buy a bleach from a normal grocery store?

Your work will be very valuable to me, for sure. Thank you for this endeavor and all the other research and science you do for us. I am hopelessly incompetent in chemistry, like a dyslexic trying to read an encyclopedia in a foreign language under poor light.

fab

I cannot say much about damage to parts, but I do not think silicone sealant will be impacted.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Most liquid bleach I saw at the grocery store lists 8.25% sodium hypochlorite - even the cheap stuff. When I get back from my trip, I will begin experimenting. I'll start with Randy's suggestion of 1 cup per 25 gallons, test the chlorine level and see where that gets me. ;)

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chlorine will gas off quickly depending on equipment running, the more aeration the faster it gasses off.

Silicon wont breakdown even if the tank was full of bleach.

And dont forget, chlorine will not sterylize, only disinfect so some bacteria can survive in it, even thrive. Most wouldnt know but in a chlorinated distribution system theres a whole ecosystem lol.

Just my 2cents

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And dont forget, chlorine will not sterylize, only disinfect so some bacteria can survive in it, even thrive. Most wouldnt know but in a chlorinated distribution system theres a whole ecosystem lol.

What about heterotrophic bacteria? Will it at least reduce their numbers?

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about heterotrophic bacteria? Will it at least reduce their numbers?
These are the types of bacteria that live in chlorinated water. I would think its possible to reduce their numbers with a heavy concentration, but anythimg less that 10ppm, IMO it will have no effect. Not sure how much it would take

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back