Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Table 2 (taken from here) lists disinfection methods/times for ich:

screenshot-from-2016-10-25-07-20-43-png.414073

As you can see, 24 hours exposure to 60 mg/L (ppm) chlorine is recommended in order to eliminate both ich tomonts & theronts. We can only assume 60 mg/L is also sufficient for other pathogens.

Japtastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks chaps, handy references. I kind of ignored heat and didn't realise how effective it is. The only piece of equipment I'd like to move across quicker than 24 hours is the MP40. Can't see any issue with putting the wetside in 40c for an hour, can you?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Humblefish - one issue with your idea of killing the bacteria - even though you 'disinfect' the tank - as others pointed out - it won't be sterile. When you add your first water (RO/DI mixed with salt - there will be bacteria in it - and once you add fish - you will quickly build up a bacterial population. Isn't the way to 'get around' degradation of medication in a treatment tank (whether by light, bacteria, temperature) is re-dosing and water changes to ensure proper levels? One problem with the way you are going at it is that its not just bacteria that causes breakdown of medication.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish - one issue with your idea of killing the bacteria - even though you 'disinfect' the tank - as others pointed out - it won't be sterile. When you add your first water (RO/DI mixed with salt - there will be bacteria in it - and once you add fish - you will quickly build up a bacterial population. Isn't the way to 'get around' degradation of medication in a treatment tank (whether by light, bacteria, temperature) is re-dosing and water changes to ensure proper levels? One problem with the way you are going at it is that its not just bacteria that causes breakdown of medication.

Probably the only way to completely sterilize a tank is to break it down, clean everything and let it air dry. Dosing chlorine will only eliminate 99% (or so) of the bacteria. I've even read that biofilm on the glass may be resistant to chlorine directly applied to it; so using rubbing alcohol (and other options mentioned) on these areas would probably be best: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/qt-and-biofilm.292878/#post-3575581

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 60 42.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back