Chloroquine phosphate

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, didn’t see your post. I thought that because they had sold a heck of a lot, someone on here may have bought and tested. Will perservere with trying to get it here through the traditional route.

This looks like it’s easy to get in the uk if you can get it it’s CP

4202ced93c7effc38e611ed90223a874.jpg

Japtastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Managed to pick some up at Boots without prescription :) Are the other ingredients ok?
c9161687fda0c13e6c57c419f1b442ed.jpg

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Managed to pick some up at Boots without prescription :) Are the other ingredients ok?
c9161687fda0c13e6c57c419f1b442ed.jpg

Avloclor is the go to source of medical grade Chloroquine in the UK and what we all use really.

Each 250mg tablet contains 155mg chloroquine, and I typically use 1 tablet per 15l water to get approx 10mg/l therapuetic dose, treated over 21 days. This is fine for wrasse and has cleared virulent infections of both cryptocaryon irritans and Amyloodinium occelatum.

It can be a pain to get it to dissolve, so crush each tablet into a fine powder between two spoons, into a just of warmed RO and stir for a few minutes. I add 50% of the solution on the first day and then the remaining the day after, starting the 21 day treatment period.

And if you have children, so please keep well out of reach. I believe a fatal dose can be as low as 250mg chloroquine to a small child.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
always was curious about CP. & I remember Marex way back. Did it come in differing concentrations. How much to obtain & how how expensive it was? all My query's were answered here.
I don't treat every fish but I do put them in an observation tank. If I see any issues then I'll treat. So 40 grams treast 700gls & lasts 3 years . Cost after shipping is steep though?
So diamond will supply it for a reasonable cost ? however there is a 50$ shipping fee. Going to go back & look some more.
All things to consider.

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
always was curious about CP. & I remember Marex way back. Did it come in differing concentrations. How much to obtain & how how expensive it was? all My query's were answered here.
I don't treat every fish but I do put them in an observation tank. If I see any issues then I'll treat. So 40 grams treast 700gls & lasts 3 years . Cost after shipping is steep though?
So diamond will supply it for a reasonable cost ? however there is a 50$ shipping fee. Going to go back & look some more.
All things to consider.
Diamondback charged me $45.95 for 30 grams of CP which included $8.00 for shipping. You will need an Rx from a vet. Website: http://www.diamondbackdrugs.com/

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good, cause my QT tank badge was yellow for a week with fish in it them turned light green when I added the CP.

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish @Dr. Reef @Big G
Does CP effect the accuracy of an ammonia test kit? QT dosage of Pharm grade (Diamondback) CP at 40mg/gal.

Added 4 fish to a 25gal QT last Saturday. QT was filled with water from my DT, some Dr Tim’s one & only added as well to help with cycling. Unfortunately I did not test water before adding fish.

Ammonia badge looks yellow, maybe ever so slightly moving toward to green. But my Red Sea Ammonia test showed levels in the 1.5-2.0 range. Also tested with Red Sea kits: Nitrates approx 10ppm, Nitrites aprox 1ppm. Ph is 8.2 and salinity is 1.026.

Fish are: Sailfin Tang, Flame Angel, Scribbled Rabbitfish, and a Black Oscellaris Darwin Clown. All are eating well and active.

Suggested course of action? WC? Additive?

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does CP effect the accuracy of an ammonia test kit? QT dosage of Pharm grade (Diamondback) CP at 40mg/gal.

Added 4 fish to a 25gal QT last Saturday. QT was filled with water from my DT, some Dr Tim’s one & only added as well to help with cycling. Unfortunately I did not test water before adding fish.

Ammonia badge looks yellow, maybe ever so slightly moving toward to green. But my Red Sea Ammonia test showed levels in the 1.5-2.0 range. Also tested with Red Sea kits: Nitrates approx 10ppm, Nitrites aprox 1ppm. Ph is 8.2 and salinity is 1.026.

Fish are: Sailfin Tang, Flame Angel, Scribbled Rabbitfish, and a Black Oscellaris Darwin Clown. All are eating well and active.

Shine a light through the back of the badge for accurate color. Mine always goes slightly green looking from the front a few days after adding CP. I never bother with ammonia test kits with any meds present due to possible false readings.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The only test I use is the seachem ammonia test. The ammo alert is just a bigger version of the seachem test.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have used API ammonia test kit with CP and it does not seem to alter results.
for piece of mind i am going to do a little experiment right now and report back.
i am going to take a cup of DT water that has no copper or CP ever used in it.
ill test it for copper with Seachem and API test kit (thats all i have right now) and then add CP to it and re test and see the difference.
I do know that seachem badge does tend to go green with CP usage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME; CP will sometimes cause false positives with liquid ammonia test kits. But the ammonia badge should still work fine.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so here is the testing i did.
I took a cup of DT water as standard as it has never seen copper or CP.
I ran an API and Seachem copper test on it.
Then i added enough CP for a 40 gal qt treatment (about half teaspoon) i re-tested the water with the same 2 kits.

1st vial is standard DT water
2nd is DT water with 1 drop of cupramine
3rd is DT mixed with CP (equivalent to 40 gal treatment)
20180605_120415.jpg
20180605_120940.jpg
20180605_120947.jpg

As you can see in the vials i used API test kit and
1st Vial remains clear (0 copper)
2nd Vial had cupramine (shows lots of cpper)
3rd vial had CP turned a bit milky but no color

On the Seachem test
1st is clear
2nd is positive for copper (has a drop of cupramine)
3rd is clear (CP equivalent to 40 gal treatment)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back