Chloroquine phosphate

sensei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sensei A fish in CP for 6 days would be protected from reinfection, but I would still treat for 30 days in total to be sure all the dinospores are gone (before lowering the medication). CP, in & of itself, does not increase the chance of a bacterial bloom unless it is mixed with another medication. And I would only use ABX on an as-needed basis, if symptoms of an infection present themselves.

@Barlan Welcome to R2R! I’ll defer to @Christoph on using Chloroquine Phosphate Monohydrate. :)

Thanks Humblefish,

in the first page of this thread you mention that the dose of CP for urenoma is 80mg / g
do you have experience with urenoma at 40mg/g?
I ask because I am using CP as profilactic, and it would be good to know if the profilactic dose of 40mg /g treats Brooklynella hostilis & Uronema marinum as well?

Thanks again

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the first page of this thread you mention that the dose of CP for urenoma is 80mg / g
do you have experience with urenoma at 40mg/g?
I ask because I am using CP as profilactic, and it would be good to know if the profilactic dose of 40mg /g treats Brooklynella hostilis & Uronema marinum as well?

I haven't encountered uronema in awhile, but when I last did I was successful treating @ 80mg/gal. Keep in mind you must also feed metro soaked food for any internal infections.

I'm about to get a bunch of chromis and treat with CP @ 40mg/gal (my normal prophylactic dosage). I'll let you know how they make out.

sensei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't encountered uronema in awhile, but when I last did I was successful treating @ 80mg/gal. Keep in mind you must also feed metro soaked food for any internal infections.

I'm about to get a bunch of chromis and treat with CP @ 40mg/gal (my normal prophylactic dosage). I'll let you know how they make out.

Thanks for your answer professor!
the Chromis you are about to get are confirmed with urenoma or just prone to it??

is there anything you can do to encourage a fish to eat once they stop eating when exposed to CP?? what do you do when they stop eating?

Thanks again

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi now l know that the medicine CP itself degrades in light. But does it degrade once in solution? Like in your system. Do you have to keep the lights off for 30days ? Thanks

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi now l know that the medicine CP itself degrades in light. But does it degrade once in solution? Like in your system. Do you have to keep the lights off for 30days ? Thanks

I don’t run lights over my QTs, and there is conflicting information on whether or not CP degrades once in solution. I need to setup two small QTs w/CP, run a light over one (but not the other) for 30 days, and then send water samples to @Christoph so we can get to the bottom of this.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, great read so thanks all for your contributions. Just recently dealt with a batch of Macropharyngodon meleagris (8 in total and 4 to me in total) from my LFS who received them all through one of the big California wholesalers that ALL perished 5-6 days after receiving them. Both sets of 2 in my systems they were doing well in eating and swimming about them within 24 hours spiraling out and dying. I did basic autopsy on one from each batch and found that their internal organs especially the liver was mush and in one quite a bit of internal hemorrhaging. I have been looking for answers as to if this is a notable reaction to CP overdose or incompatibility. I contacted the wholesaler owner directly and privately with questions regarding their possible use of CP or Copper without reply. Again, thanks for the great information here.

Cheers, Todd

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t run lights over my QTs, and there is conflicting information on whether or not CP degrades once in solution. I need to setup two small QTs w/CP, run a light over one (but not the other) for 30 days, and then send water samples to @Christoph so we can get to the bottom of this.

from all the research i have done regarding CP and light. its mostly to do with storage. once in the system mixed in water its not an issue. but a lab result will put this to rest.
on personal note, i have always ran CP in qt with 12 hrs light exposure. always sucessful at 40-60ml/gal.
currently i am running CP with lights on and UV filter on to see the results.

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from all the research i have done regarding CP and light. its mostly to do with storage. once in the system mixed in water its not an issue. but a lab result will put this to rest.
on personal note, i have always ran CP in qt with 12 hrs light exposure. always sucessful at 40-60ml/gal.
currently i am running CP with lights on and UV filter on to see the results.

Hi,

actually CP is much more likely to be photo-degraded in solution as compared to the solid substance (which is true for almost all light sensitive compounds). The solid, even when exposed to light, is quite safe due to "self shielding": only a very tiny fraction on the outside is actually exposed to the light. I couldnt find any hints in literature that chloroquine is sensitive to light. What i found is that patients that got chloroquine as antimalarial drug might react sensitive to sunlight. - Maybe thats the origin of the CP-light-debate. Anaway, im very curious about the outcome of the experiment @Humblefish and myself will conduct soonish.

Best,
Christoph

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Owing to a misunderstanding a 26 yr old man took for malaria prevention 2 tablets (1.0 g) chloroquine daily instead of the recommended dose of two tablets weekly. After 2 wk he developed vertigo, generalized weakness and, after sun-bathing, severe bullous light reaction. After 4 wk generalized hair depigmentation occurred. Two weeks later abnormal accommodation and double vision set in so that he lost distant and near vision. All these signs disappeared after the drug was discontinued (vertigo, weakness and abnormal accommodation within 2 wk; hair regrew in normal colour after 8 wk). This case shows the whole spectrum of subacute chloroquine overdosage.

Adverse dermatologic effects including pruritus, pigmentary changes of the skin and mucous membranes, skin eruptions resembling lichen planus, pleomorphic skin eruptions, and various dermatoses which may be aggravated by exposure to ultraviolet light have been reported with chloroquine.

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to see my vet about five weeks ago and brought along a folder with printed out versions of the two articles referenced by Humblefish at the start of this thread. I also included a cover letter detailing what I wanted and why. I also included a printed sheet with the quantity, dosage and concentration as discussed above as well as links to this thread and and the Chloroquine phosphate thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chloroquine-phosphate.192309/

She was impressed by my presentation and immediately agreed to call in an Rx to Diamondback.

My CP arrived a few days later; 30 grams bulk packed in a container with a measuring spoon. Only issue I see is the container says to discard after 10/4/18 giving me basically a six-month window to use it. My vet was kind enough to write the Rx with 2 refills before 4/6/19.

@Humblefish I know you mentioned that CP has a shelf life of 2-3 yrs. Would you be comfortable using this after the discard date?
When you say this is a "one & done" does that mean I do not have to gradually raise the level of CP over a period of days as we do with other copper treatments? Also would you suggest observing the fish for a few days before adding the CP or would you add the fish to CP treated water? I'll be using this prophylactically on some new fish.

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can keep it for a year. keep it sealed in dark place and dont open container too much.
it is one and done med. you dose it once and it it do its job. 40ml/gal dose once and then let it treat for 3 weeks then do water changes or use carbon to remove it from the system. (you can break the dose over 2 days)
some say dont use light on the qt while treatment personally i have experimented with it with lights on and off and currently with lights on along with uv filer rated for 8000 gals on a 40 gal qt running 24/7 with very satisfactory results.
Personally i dont dose any meds as preventive unless i have tangs in the qt. then i surely do use CP. All fish go through 2 rounds of Prazipro.

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can keep it for a year. keep it sealed in dark place and dont open container too much.
it is one and done med. you dose it once and it it do its job. 40ml/gal dose once and then let it treat for 3 weeks then do water changes or use carbon to remove it from the system. (you can break the dose over 2 days)
some say dont use light on the qt while treatment personally i have experimented with it with lights on and off and currently with lights on along with uv filer rated for 8000 gals on a 40 gal qt running 24/7 with very satisfactory results.
Personally i dont dose any meds as preventive unless i have tangs in the qt. then i surely do use CP. All fish go through 2 rounds of Prazipro.
Dr. Reef, Thanks for your input. Most of the info I've gotten at R2R suggests using some sort of copper as a prophylactic with all new fish in addition to the two rounds of Praizi. When you do use CP do you add it to water before introducing fish?

Last edited:

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyhog recently put a Flame Fairy Wrasse thru CP, and I have put both an Orange-Back & Yellow-Flanked through 30 days of CP.

More testing is required, but I'm thinking Fairy Wrasses are CP safe. The big question is whether or not Flasher and Macropharyngodon genus wrasses can tolerate CP.

Thanks for all of the information! Was wondering about wrasse safe list as well. Anybody have experience putting a six line wrasse through?

TIA!

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been mentioned that CP is a “one and done” medication and there are no test kits for CP.

If the tank that was dosed at a level became inactive - where it was allowed to have water evaporated half way, heater turned off, and circulation eventually turned off - if I need to bring it back online, could I just fill it back up with RO water to where water once was (salinity check), and turn the heater and circulation back on and be at the same dosing level I was once at?

Or is it necessary to dump out the water and start over?

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would start fresh with new water. we dont know how much of the medicine has been used. eventually every medicine put in the tank is consumed over time and without a test for CP to confirm we dont know how much has been left and if its strength is still good enough to treat, sitting water is stale water we dont know what all died in it whats types of bacteria been growing or decomposing etc.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyhog recently put a Flame Fairy Wrasse thru CP, and I have put both an Orange-Back & Yellow-Flanked through 30 days of CP.

More testing is required, but I'm thinking Fairy Wrasses are CP safe. The big question is whether or not Flasher and Macropharyngodon genus wrasses can tolerate CP.

I don’t know if you are interested in others’ experiences, but I’ve successfully used CP with a C. Isosceles and C. Lineatus (both females). I only run 12-15 days of CP but during that time, the wrasses did fine.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if you are interested in others’ experiences, but I’ve successfully used CP with a C. Isosceles and C. Lineatus (both females). I only run 12-15 days of CP but during that time, the wrasses did fine.

I've been having similar success with Fairy Wrasses + CP. Halichoeres also.

I'm currently running my first Wetmorella thru CP, and so far so good. :)

However, I'm pretty sure Flasher Wrasses & Pseudocheilinus cannot tolerate CP for some reason.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back