H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 250 mg is CP, so this is the value you use for dosing

With respect... The following was taken from Bob Goemans online book, THE LIVING AQUARIUM MANUAL:
In most cases, 250 mg tablets have an equivalence of 150 mg chloroquine base, and 500 mg tablets have an equivalence of 300 mg chloroquine base. Although the purity mentioned above is generally accurate, it would be best to verify the chloroquine base contained in the tablets of your choice in order to be able to properly calculate the exact dosage. Keep in mind if you decide to use the tablets, there are some inactive ingredients, which you may have to deal with, e.g., Camauba Wax, Colloidal Silicon Dioxide, Dibasic Calcium Phosphate, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Magnesium Stearate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Polyethylene Glycol, Polysorbate 80, Pregelatinized Starch, Sodium Starch Glycolate, Stearic Acid, and Titanium Dioxide. And as mentioned earlier in this chapter there are occasions where some medicines are not in their pure form (100% pure), i.e., mixed with a substance called a 'carrier,' which should be noted on its label. If so its potency is reduced, and if not sure about the exact amount of medication needed, suggest contacting a more experienced aquarist for the way to resolve this situation.

Wouldn't the above be interpreted to mean that one should dose according to the usable chloroquine base when using the CP tablets??

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dose often stated for CP (10-25 mg/l) is given for chloroquine Phosphate. Thats the reason why you would need to dose less for chloroquine sulfate (and way less for chloroquine base).

Im very sure here. Dosing same amounts based on chloroquine base would result in an overdose.

What dose is stated for the base in the book you quoted, Bobby?

Best,
christoph

Last edited:

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a CP quarantine tank set up (currently with no fishes in it) - but wanted to ask if there was any opinion as to using tap water with a tap water conditioner for top off water?

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not. I generally just use my rodi for waterchanges and I'll use distilled water for top off. 89¢ a gallon and only go through a couple a week

Brett newell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening all, sorry if this has come up in the thread, but has anybody attempted cp and hypo qt the same time?

Brett newell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I do cp in qt with all new fish. They've been in it for a couple days shy of 4 weeks and my hippo tang started showing spots. So ky thought was to do hypo to help kill or weaken it and raise the cp just slightly. The goal is to not raise cp too much due to the questionable ability of hippo in cp.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a proper dose of CP in the QT tank, you should not be seeing spots. Nothing should be reproducing in the QT. Especially after 4 weeks.

Perhaps the spots are a bacterial infection? CP is a bit of an immune suppressor so it might make the fish more succeptable to a secondary infection.

Brett newell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is the NLS ick shield powder so not sure of the purity. Its rec dose is 1 scoop for 20 gallons. I have them currently in 1.25 scoop dose

Brett newell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty crappy pictures. I'll try to get better ones in the morning

20180418_212203.jpg

20180418_212153.jpg

20180418_212201.jpg

20180418_212203.jpg

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is the NLS ick shield powder so not sure of the purity. Its rec dose is 1 scoop for 20 gallons. I have them currently in 1.25 scoop dose
I've never heard bad reviews of the NLS powder. I used the National Fish Pharmaceutical CP (because I couldn't get a prescription) and it cured my heavily velvet infected porcupine puffer. I'd swear by it (although others may argue). I've treated my next 6 fish in QT with the same batch and all are happy and healthy.

I used 60mg/gal to account for any impurities, but I find it legitimate.

Brett newell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the 1 scoop is for 40. I guess I should bump it to 1.5 scoops to get around 60. The NLS has worked for me with ich before

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If It is bacteria is it safe to do metro with cp?
I can't find it now, maybe @Humblefish can repeat it. He had a process for treating bacterial and ich/velvet at the same time. I don't remember which antibiotic he recommended using. I do remember that O2 saturation can be an issue with so many meds.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will CP kill tisbe copepods and freshly hatched brine shrimp? I have a pair of mandarins in QT now(n0 meds) and raise my own pods to feed them, but before I start CP I want to see if the food supply will live long enough for the mandarins to get something to eat while in QT.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 41.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back