Chloroquine phosphate

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was taking about life spectrum ick shield which supposedly have CP...

92e01f31127523c225312b08dbdc4e5b.jpg

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the world's CP is produced in China; however QC standards there are not as stringent as they are in the US, Canada, the EU, and Australia.

Fishman Chemical is a large reseller of CP, and in all likelihood this is where NLS is getting their CP from to make "Ick Shield". Now, whether Fishman and/or NLS is testing their CP for purity (to ensure 99% pure or better) I cannot say.

What I am confident of is these sources DO test Chloroquine phosphate for purity:
  1. Pharmaceutical companies (e.g. Compounding Pharmacy) - Their products are meant for human consumption, and they have a lot to lose if "tainted CP" were to slip through the cracks.
  2. Diamondback Drugs (Veterinary Compounding Pharmacy) - I have no business interests with this company, but I do know they supply many veterinarians, public aquariums & zoos with medications. They also test for purity, including any CP they sell. Again, a lot to lose if they were to sell medications that weren't on the up and up.
Of course, the challenge with #1 and #2 is you will need to obtain either a doctor or veterinarian prescription to buy from those sources.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the world's CP is produced in China; however QC standards there are not as stringent as they are in the US, Canada, the EU, and Australia.

Fishman Chemical is a large reseller of CP, and in all likelihood this is where NLS is getting their CP from to make "Ick Shield". Now, whether Fishman and/or NLS is testing their CP for purity (to ensure 99% pure or better) I cannot say.

What I am confident of is these sources DO test Chloroquine phosphate for purity:
  1. Pharmaceutical companies (e.g. Compounding Pharmacy) - Their products are meant for human consumption, and they have a lot to lose if "tainted CP" were to slip through the cracks.
  2. Diamondback Drugs (Veterinary Compounding Pharmacy) - I have no business interests with this company, but I do know they supply many veterinarians, public aquariums & zoos with medications. They also test for purity, including any CP they sell. Again, a lot to lose if they were to sell medications that weren't on the up and up.
Of course, the challenge with #1 and #2 is you will need to obtain either a doctor or veterinarian prescription to buy from those sources.

See told you he said that^^^[emoji23]

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be the only type of CP I will be able to get hold off that I could trust - I trust it more than the ebay sellers.

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's interesting that he states around 5:05 that chloroquine might not be as effective on parasites imbedded in the flesh yet goes on to mention a food containing chloroquine.

Chloroquine only targets the free swimming stage, same as copper. Free swimmers are probably also susceptible to formalin, metronidazole, Hydrogen peroxide and an assortment of other chemicals. The difference is both copper & CP remains stable in the water without the constant need to redose, which undoubtedly causes lapses in treatment coverage.

To my knowledge, only harsh chemicals such as chlorine or Benzalkonium chloride, or extreme temperature/drying can kill encysted tomonts. There is no "safe" treatment to remove embedded Crypto trophonts on a fish. However "surface parasites" such as velvet can be partially cleared by using a freshwater dip, formalin bath, etc., and those with a direct life cycle (e.g. brook, uronema) can be completely eradicated by using formalin, metronidazole, etc.

ltrace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An employee at or local public aquarium told me 2 years ago that they use CP for disease management. I have been using ever since. I use 24/7 on my quarantine and hospital tanks. I once did a 5 month test on one of my FOWLR display tanks and had no ill effect on tangs, angelfishes, clownfishes, dottybacks and a coris wrasse. I asked our local public aquarium what their source for CP and they buy directly from Fishman's Chemical. Just don' follow FC's dosing advice as you can loose your fishes. One dose takes care of it until you do a water change.

I collect a lot of clownfishes and sometimes they come in it ich, velvet or brook. I use to use copper, but by the time I discover they have brook... it's too late and they end up dying. Copper has no effect on brook and it is a fast destructive disease. I had clownfishes come in with brook on several occasions and over 95% were saved and responded well to CP.

Now I treat all fishes in quarantine with CP for 3 months... whether there is any signs or disease or not. I am on my 3rd Kg of CP as many of the locals asked me for some.
What are you using for filtration in your QT? How often do you do a water change for 3 mos of QT?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have experience with Porcupine puffers and CP? Do they handle it well? Thanks
Yes they do. My porcupine had a bad case of velvet. CP cleared him up in less than a week. He never stopped eating. When a porcupine does not eat, there is a problem, lol.

Here he is with velvet and then about 9 months later happy and healthy.

Good luck, please ask any questions. I love my porcupines.
20171209_213517.jpg
20180312_184410.jpg

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologise if this has already been asked and answered, but does rock/sand absorb cp?

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that may be an unknown because there isn't really a test kit for it, correct?

Just thinking aloud

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for filtration in your QT? How often do you do a water change for 3 mos of QT?

I use an oversized aquaclear hob filter. I soak the filter pad and biomax balls that come with it overnight in a container with biospira. The waterchanges would depend on a few things...Was the qt pre cycled(doing what I mentioned above)? How many fish are in there? How often are you feeding? Cloudy water?

I always have an ammonia alert badge on my qts. Still, you'll want to test ammonia. I generally do a weekly water change regardless but would do daily if the tank wasn't cycled and/or if a problem arises

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that may be an unknown because there isn't really a test kit for it, correct?

Just thinking aloud

There is no pra tical way for a hobbiest to measure cp, but it is kind of assumed it is absorbed by substrate or broken down by biofilm since there are failures of cp in qt tanks with rock and in permanent qt tanks.

In a freshly set up tank with no rock, substrate or biofilm, CP seems fairly stable.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back