Chloroquine phosphate

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it.... I can't tell if it works, I usually mix it with regular pellet food.

It's a lie that if it touches a coral it will die. I have seen corals ingest it and nothing happens.

I don't see it as a treatment but more like a precaution.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Paalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have sourced some Plaquenil 200mg from a salmon vet here in Norway, will that be ok in QT?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have sourced some Plaquenil 200mg from a salmon vet here in Norway, will that be ok in QT?

Unfortunately, Hydroxychloroquine has not worked for me for some reason. :confused: It failed to eradicate velvet on two separate occasions.

Paalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for quick answer, that was weird. I thought in general that a Malaria med would be ok. Maybe it is different with salmon. So I am in for Cupramine in QT then...?

Last edited:

sensei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, Hydroxychloroquine has not worked for me for some reason. :confused: It failed to eradicate velvet on two separate occasions.

Humblefish,
can you please tell when did you notice that Hydroxycloroquine failed?
was it during treatment and fish died?
or was it after treatment and Hydroxycloroquine inhibited the disease during treatment and then came back??

I ask because I have a fish in CP now 40mg/g just as preventive treatment and I want to know know if CP inhibits the diseases like low copper concentration that diseases can come back up to 8 weeks later??
I want to know how much is the observation time after CP and I want to assume the worst case scenario as if CP failed to eradicate velvet.

thanks a lot

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sensei I used to seek out fish with active infections of velvet to experiment on. Twice I tried Hydroxychloroquine on such specimens, and both times new trophonts formed on the fish despite the medication being present in the water @ 80mg/gal. Not full blown velvet, mind you, but half a dozen or so trophonts. So, obviously Hydroxychloroquine was killing most of the dinospores, just not all of them. I believe @alprazo had a similar experience. I cannot really explain why Hydroxychloroquine doesn't work, since it is a derivative of chloroquine. :confused:

sensei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sensei I used to seek out fish with active infections of velvet to experiment on. Twice I tried Hydroxychloroquine on such specimens, and both times new trophonts formed on the fish despite the medication being present in the water @ 80mg/gal. Not full blown velvet, mind you, but half a dozen or so trophonts. So, obviously Hydroxychloroquine was killing most of the dinospores, just not all of them. I believe @alprazo had a similar experience. I cannot really explain why Hydroxychloroquine doesn't work, since it is a derivative of chloroquine. :confused:

ok Humblefish, I understand.
In my case I am treating with CP, if treatment failed for what ever reason, I should see the disease during treatment of CP or after I have fish in non medicated water??
Thanks for your answer.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I saw that, if it worked it would be great for the UK as I can’t get hold of CP, that I trust

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using it. Still got ich. But not all fish eat it. So it might work on those that eat the pellet. Now I using metroplex and focus in medicated custom food and it's working. Or at least the ich is under control... Will keep going until I see no more signs of infection.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using it. Still got ich. But not all fish eat it. So it might work on those that eat the pellet. Now I using metroplex and focus in medicated custom food and it's working. Or at least the ich is under control... Will keep going until I see no more signs of infection.

Don’t think we are talking about the same things as this is in powder form so it’s not for feed the fish you dose it to the tank.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food or Cp powder cause you said you feed the fish with it. I know that they have food also but we are talking about the powder that you treat your qt with not feed the fish.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back