Chloroquine phosphate

AcroJack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just lost a couple tangs to what looks like velvet to me, on day 11/12 of CP treatment. I am using the good stuff from Diamondback, changing water every 2 days and redosing to keep around 800mg/20 gallons dosage. Scratching my head. Second guessing my methods. Any advise? Run airstone on system, NH4 is 0, no light on QT nor UV. Pics below of the powder puff that died this am. They had all been eating nori/mysis great. Still have some other fish in QT, breathing heavy and I'm not sure what to do next here.

image2.jpeg

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just lost a couple tangs to what looks like velvet to me, on day 11/12 of CP treatment. I am using the good stuff from Diamondback, changing water every 2 days and redosing to keep around 800mg/20 gallons dosage. Scratching my head. Second guessing my methods. Any advise? Run airstone on system, NH4 is 0, no light on QT nor UV. Pics below of the powder puff that died this am. They had all been eating nori/mysis great. Still have some other fish in QT, breathing heavy and I'm not sure what to do next here.

image2.jpeg
I lost a kole tang and my Tusk during the treatment. I'm not sure what it was because they were showing no signs of velvet. I think they were stressed out from the small tank with Pvc pipes and got a bacterial infection.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, that sucks, I'm sorry. To clarify some details...were you treating prophylactically and then noticed signs of velvet? Or were you specifically treating velvet from the start? 800mg/20gal comes out to 40mg/gal which is a typical prophylactic dose. But what is recommended for active treatment of velvet typically is twice that dosage, 80mg/gal. Did you do a freshwater dip followed by a bath (in acriflavine or formalin) once you noticed they had velvet? When you do water changes, do you mix CP into the replacement water prior to pouring it into the QT?

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/

AcroJack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, that sucks, I'm sorry. To clarify some details...were you treating prophylactically and then noticed signs of velvet? Or were you specifically treating velvet from the start? 800mg/20gal comes out to 40mg/gal which is a typical prophylactic dose. But what is recommended for active treatment of velvet typically is twice that dosage, 80mg/gal. Did you do a freshwater dip followed by a bath (in acriflavine or formalin) once you noticed they had velvet? When you do water changes, do you mix CP into the replacement water prior to pouring it into the QT?

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/
Great question, sorry I forgot to add that. All fish appeared clean upon QT entry. I tried a FW dip on 2 this am for 3 minutes and they were dead within a few minutes after. They looked pretty bad as they went in FW. I don't have Acriflavine or formalin, but I do have safety stop. Thinking maybe I'll do all rest of QT fish through that now and then back in to QT and maybe use Cupramine instead of CP? Or maybe I should just juice the dose as you mentioned to 80mg/gallon. Any thoughts there? Other fish breathing hard, but no signs outwardly of Velvet at the moment, though i'm sure they are infected at this point. thx for responding on Xmas too! Appreciate it!

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question, sorry I forgot to add that. All fish appeared clean upon QT entry. I tried a FW dip on 2 this am for 3 minutes and they were dead within a few minutes after. They looked pretty bad as they went in FW. I don't have Acriflavine or formalin, but I do have safety stop. Thinking maybe I'll do all rest of QT fish through that now and then back in to QT and maybe use Cupramine instead of CP? Or maybe I should just juice the dose as you mentioned to 80mg/gallon. Any thoughts there? Other fish breathing hard, but no signs outwardly of Velvet at the moment, though i'm sure they are infected at this point. thx for responding on Xmas too! Appreciate it!

A dip in safety stop is probably better than nothing. It has some formalin in it from what I understand. Personally I would up the dose of CP. I would not mix it with cupramine. It is not advised to mix the two, you likely don’t have time to ramp it up slowly to therapeutic dosage anyway, and plopping in a full therapeutic dose of copper would likely be more stressful than its worth.

Best of luck!

AcroJack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dip in safety stop is probably better than nothing. It has some formalin in it from what I understand. Personally I would up the dose of CP. I would not mix it with cupramine. It is not advised to mix the two, you likely don’t have time to ramp it up slowly to therapeutic dosage anyway, and plopping in a full therapeutic dose of copper would likely be more stressful than its worth.

Best of luck!
For giggles, while fish where in the safety stop, I measured and calculated the volume of the QT Innovative 20 gallon. Stacks up right around 17 gallons filled to the level I am using it. I will match the 80mg/gallon (1360mg) to that here for the next 24hrs and see how it goes.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have successfully used CP on one firefish.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you do water changes, do you mix CP into the replacement water prior to pouring it into the QT?

Is this necessary/recommended? Specifically, can you safely dissolve the CP in a small quantity of salt water, and then add it to your QT slowly via the filter or overflow?

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you does CP prazi and metro at the same time?

Yes to both. Liquid praziquantel such as prazipro is riskier due to possible bacteria bloom, but i use it with CP occasionally. Powder form such as general cure is a much better choice imo

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to both. Liquid praziquantel such as prazipro is riskier due to possible bacteria bloom, but i use it with CP occasionally. Powder form such as general cure is a much better choice imo
Thanks guys. I have my new qt process then. That would Cover pretty much everything wouldn't it? Except bacterial infection to witch I would use Kanaplex.

Gold_Coast_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a little clown goby with what i think is ich. Can You use hydroxychloroquine instead of chloroquine phosphate? If so is the dose equivalent. What is the treatment for a sick fish as opposed to quarantine/prevention?

Thank you

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish any info on combining CP with other medications?

Saturday I purchased some tangs & rabbits from an LFS and they are in my QT tank. I usually give them a day or two to settle down before applying CP. This morning I noticed my purple tang has white spots, either ich or velvet, but she is still eating and isn't showing any other symptoms. The others do not show any signs either. I added CP just now since they are all still feeding well, i want to get on top of this.

I have read through the QT literature on this site many times and i can't seem to find what i **think** i remember reading somewhere about possible synergy between CP and other meds. I could be wrong.... thoughts?

thanks

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Saturday I purchased some tangs & rabbits from an LFS and they are in my QT tank. I usually give them a day or two to settle down before applying CP. This morning I noticed my purple tang has white spots, either ich or velvet, but she is still eating and isn't showing any other symptoms. The others do not show any signs either. I added CP just now since they are all still feeding well, i want to get on top of this.

I have read through the QT literature on this site many times and i can't seem to find what i **think** i remember reading somewhere about possible synergy between CP and other meds. I could be wrong.... thoughts?

thanks
Can you post a couple of nice clear pictures of the tang?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've successfully combined CP with kanamycin, metronidazole, nitrofurazone, sulfathiazole, methylene blue and praziquantel. All powder forms, no liquids!

Also, I strongly advise only combining 1 or 2 of the above with CP at a time; 3 or more has caused liver & kidney damage when I did the necropsy. Obviously, too many meds for those organs to filter all at once!

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a couple of nice clear pictures of the tang?

I'll try.... many of the spots seem to have gone away but one side of her in particular clearly has remnants of what i saw this AM. She swims crazy fast, and still isn't used to me being near the glass yet...but i'll try if i can without upsetting her too much

I've successfully combined CP with kanamycin, metronidazole, nitrofurazone, sulfathiazole, methylene blue and praziquantel. All powder forms, no liquids!

Also, I strongly advise only combining 1 or 2 of the above with CP at a time; 3 or more has caused liver & kidney damage when I did the necropsy. Obviously, too many meds for those organs to filter all at once!

thanks @Humblefish

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back