Chloroquine phosphate

mdd1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone noticed that CP surprise the fishes appetite. If had a purple tang in QT for about 25 days and his appetite comes and goes.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone noticed that CP surprise the fishes appetite. If had a purple tang in QT for about 25 days and his appetite comes and goes.

It is said that cp and copper may or may not suppress appetite as a matter of fact most meds will. But I find it depends on the fish. Some fish the meds don’t bother them as much as other.

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

None of my tangs ever touched Nori in QT, but the all eat it in the DT.

Maybe it's the smell?

This is precisely why I make sure they are eating well before doing any meds. When i worked in the fish store, and i got new fish in from the airport, I'd always monitor the fish, pairing off eaters from non-eaters, before giving meds.

My tangs/rabbits in QT now are nutso over nori-sheets

mdd1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes he was eating fine before I treated with CP. He also has eaten during the CP treatment. It seems like he doesn't want to eat for a few days after a water change.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @Greenstreet.1 pointed out, ALL medications have side effects including appetite suppression sometimes. It varies from fish to fish. IME; CP isn't as bad when it comes to appetite suppression as most other meds I use, but it still happens sometimes. Also, CP has a strong metallic taste to it. So any food (e.g. nori) that has been in CP water for a little while will absorb that bitter taste.

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a couple of nice clear pictures of the tang?

I'll try.... many of the spots seem to have gone away but one side of her in particular clearly has remnants of what i saw this AM. She swims crazy fast, and still isn't used to me being near the glass yet...but i'll try if i can without upsetting her too much
thanks @Humblefish

haha welp, i think i figured out why i was so puzzled by these white "spots" on my new purple tang....

They aren't parasites........turns out she LOVES diving into and out of the bubble stream from the HOB filter & skimmer.... leaving little micro bubbles on her body......**doh**

sensei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished the 30 days of CP at 75mg /g treating a puffer that came from tank with velvet.
puffer never showed signs though but all other fish died, how much time should I observe the fish in a qt cycled tank with no medication in water?

thanks a lot

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished the 30 days of CP at 75mg /g treating a puffer that came from tank with velvet.
puffer never showed signs though but all other fish died, how much time should I observe the fish in a qt cycled tank with no medication in water?

thanks a lot
10-14 days of observation is considered the minimum.

NemHost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When setting up a quarantine tank with cp how do you maintain biological filtration if you can’t have rocks? Is it ok to have pvc pipes in tank?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When setting up a quarantine tank with cp how do you maintain biological filtration if you can’t have rocks? Is it ok to have pvc pipes in tank?

HOB filter with a foam/sponge:

lg-120207-FS64894K-fish.jpg
p-32929-61833-fish.jpg

Bacteria will colonize inside/on the surface of the sponge, but it won't absorb meds. PVC elbows are fine to use in QT.

NemHost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank for your help. It’s much appreciated. I’m assuming that placing sponges in the back chamber of a biocube tank would serve the same purpose. Is that correct?
How much filtration would foam provide? In other words, how many fish could be quarantined in a 29g biocube at a time while still having sufficient biological filtration?
Lastly, is marine pure block/ball the same as live rock as far as medication absorption (and therefore should be avoided)?
Thanks in advance.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lastly, is marine pure block/ball the same as live rock as far as medication absorption (and therefore should be avoided)?
Tried using a marine pure in my QT. Tremendous bacterial bloom from the die off of organisms within the block due to meds & copper. Avoid using.

mdd1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update my Purple tang didn't make it through the CP treatment. He stopped eating halfway through the treatment. Not sure if it was the CP or possible ammonia in the water. I did do alot of water changes and my ammonia badge pretty much stayed the light yellow/greenish color never really changed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back