Chloroquine phosphate

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloroquine phosphate: Treats Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Marine Velvet Disease (Amyloodinium), Brooklynella hostilis & Uronema marinum.

How To Treat - Chloroquine phosphate (CP) is a “new drug” that actually was widely used to control external protozoa in saltwater aquariums back in the 70s & 80s. It was even used in some aquarium medications sold at LFS. Nowadays CP requires a prescription to purchase legitimately, making it more difficult to obtain. Fast forward to today and thanks to the power of the Internet, CP has come roaring back! The biggest obstacle to overcome is obtaining pharmaceutical grade 99% pure CP. I cannot stress the importance of this enough. Do not buy it from some guy on eBay or even an online vendor. The only way to be sure you are getting 99% pure CP is to get your vet (or an MD) to write a prescription which can then be filled by a compounding pharmacy.

CP is a “one and done” medication, meaning you dose once and that’s it. There are no test kits for CP, so it’s important that you dose accurately using a digital scale. Also, don’t forget to dose any replacement water (from water changes, but not top-off) with CP. The dosage rates are as follows:
  • Prophylactic treatment is 40 mg per gallon.
  • For active infections (visible symptoms present), I typically will up the dosage to 60mg/gal. However, I cannot say if this is anymore effective than the "standard" 40mg/gal dose.
  • For Uronema marinum and really bad infestations, you can dose up to 80mg/gal. However, I have noticed appetite suppression and lethargy at this concentration. :oops:
As you can see, there is quite a bit of wiggle room between the minimum & maximum dosage. Practically speaking, 40mg/gal will treat all external protozoa issues… its just that the higher dosages may get the job done a little faster. Treatment lasts 30 consecutive days, and no carbon, UV, etc. may be used during this time (although it can be used later when you wish to remove the medication from the water.) A little quirk about CP is that light will degrade it; however it appears this mainly applies to the powder itself, so store your CP in a cool, dark place. Once in water, you may use an aquarium light with CP - however fish with velvet are light sensitive so I would only use ambient lighting (ex. lamp across the room) if treating for that. CP is NOT reef safe. In addition to killing your corals, it is a very strong algaecide.

Pros - Gentle on most fish (see DO NOT USE list below), a “one and done” medication that treats most external protozoa. CP is the closest thing there is to a “wonder drug” in our hobby.

Cons/Side Effects - Expensive, hard to get (requires a prescription), powder is heat & light sensitive - so store in a cool, dark place. Attempts to feed CP laced food are usually not successful due to its bad metallic taste.

** Based upon anecdotal experience (mine and others), DO NOT USE CP on Anthias, Wrasses or Hippo Tangs. For the time being, chelated copper (exs. Coppersafe, Copper Power) is the best alternative to use on these species. **

** Finally, a place to buy Chloroquine: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a-place-to-buy-chloroquine.252610/ **

** Special thanks to @svogun for providing this link, which can be used to find aquatic vets in your area for sourcing CP: http://www.aquavetmed.info/ **
Hi Humblefish Diamondback is asking for the concentration or strength of the CP and praziquantel I want to order? Would it be 100%? Thank you

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Humblefish Diamondback is asking for the concentration or strength of the CP and praziquantel I want to order? Would it be 100%? Thank you

I think they are wanting to know how much CP (I'd get 30 grams) you'd like to buy. Their CP is 99% pure or better.

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No he was asking for strength which I could not understand cause I thought it came 99% pure. Same with praziquantel powder he wanted to know what purity I wanted. Would Praziquantel be 99% ? Thanks

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No he was asking what purity I wanted in the praziquantel and CP. Would Praziquantel be 99%? Thanks

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No he was asking for strength which I could not understand cause I thought it came 99% pure. Same with praziquantel powder he wanted to know what purity I wanted. Would Praziquantel be 99% ? Thanks
No he was asking what purity I wanted in the praziquantel and CP. Would Praziquantel be 99%? Thanks

I'm confused. :confused: Are you talking directly to a Diamondback sales rep? Or are these questions coming from your vet?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking to a Diamondback sales rep. Thanks

This makes no sense (not blaming you). When I spoke to Diamondback about their CP they told me it was being sourced through a Canadian wholesaler AND tested to ensure 99.5% purity. If it wasn't at least 99.5%, it got sent back to the wholesaler. They can even provide a Certificate of Analysis to you or your vet.

I would ask to speak to a different sales rep or a manager. Maybe you are talking to "the new guy"?

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably was talking to a new gut. What about the prazi purity? He asked about that too. Should that be 100%? Thanks

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably was talking to a new gut. What about the prazi purity? He asked about that too. Should that be 100%? Thanks

Yes, praziquantel powder should be 100% pure. However, you will need to use a tiny amount of ethyl alcohol or even common vodka before dosing your tank. To help dissolve the powder.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning @Humblefish ? For you I’m getting back in the game and starting back my wrasse collection and right now in QT I have :
Rosy scale fairy
M. Ornatus
Blue star leopard x3(F)
I finally got my hands on CP but I see it’s not good for wrasse just wondering the reason why ?
Also I see they say that the ornatus don’t do well in copper so was wondering what route you will suggest I go ?

My plan was only prazi since it’s said that copper and cp is no good.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used it in conjunction with CP?

The ethyl alcohol you have to add to make powder prazi water-soluble DOES NOT mix well with CP IME.

I finally got my hands on CP but I see it’s not good for wrasse just wondering the reason why ?
Also I see they say that the ornatus don’t do well in copper so was wondering what route you will suggest I go ?

My plan was only prazi since it’s said that copper and cp is no good.
Using CP on wrasses is very hit or miss for reasons unknown at this time. I recommend chelated copper (e.g. Coppersafe, Copper Power) if you need to treat a wrasse for ich or velvet.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ethyl alcohol you have to add to make powder prazi water-soluble DOES NOT mix well with CP IME.

Using CP on wrasses is very hit or miss for reasons unknown at this time. I recommend chelated copper (e.g. Coppersafe, Copper Power) if you need to treat a wrasse for ich or velvet.

Thank you for the reply. I don’t see any signs of ich or velvet. Will just do the deworming and keep an eye on them I have copper power on hand just in case.

BrotherSheepDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if this was discussed yet. I purchased a box of Marex from eBay the other day. I know it was popular back in the early days of reefing but has anyone used it recently with success?

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve dosed almost 2 grams in a 29g Qt and I still see ich. Should I Up the dosage?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back