Chloroquine phosphate

mdd1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are lucky your vet is doing that for you! I have had no luck.
Get the prescription for the powder form and ideally for 30g. That should last you for a few years.
Can take the prescription and send it to diamondback or the vet can just call it in to them for you.
you would dose 40-80mg/g once and thats it. Adjust for water changes.

Yea he is super cool I know him for many years. I also have a family member thats an NP that would be able to write scripts for me if needed. I have a compounding pharmacy that I would use for something like this. They can basically get whatever I want. So 30G perception with 80mg dosage per day? If you need any let me know I'm local to you (Westchester NY).

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I''ll PM you.
no, not per day. Its a one time dose only.
I would go through diamondback instead of a compounding pharmacy. I think you can get it for under $50 from diamondback where as a compounding pharmacy quoted me $250 for 25 500mg pills.
If you are treating prophetically I would use 40mg/g and not the 80.

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are lucky your vet is doing that for you! I have had no luck.
Get the prescription for the powder form and ideally for 30g. That should last you for a few years.
Can take the prescription and send it to diamondback or the vet can just call it in to them for you.
you would dose 40-80mg/g once and thats it. Adjust for water changes.

+1 to this⬆️⬆️

sensei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a velvelt outbreak with some new fish.
only 1 survived, a porcupine puffer.
are puffers more resistent to this kind of parasites?
the puffer never showed any signs, but I am treating with CP at 75mg/g because he may be inmune but still be a carrier.
how will I know if he is cured after the 30 days of CP if he never showed any signs before?

thanks

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the puffer never showed any signs, but I am treating with CP at 75mg/g because he may be inmune but still be a carrier.
how will I know if he is cured after the 30 days of CP if he never showed any signs before?

IME; puffers are more likely to live with velvet for an extended period of time. But they usually show white dots shortly after exposure.

sensei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Humble
In your experience after 30 days of CP at 75mg /g what should be the success rate for curing the puffer??
how much time should I observe the fish in a qt tank with out CP after the 30 days?

2nd question: should 40mg /g of CP for 30 days cure velvet and brooks?
I ask becuase I want to use CP as my regular protocol to treat all new fish even if they do not show any signs

thanks a lot

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd question: should 40mg /g of CP for 30 days cure velvet and brooks?
I ask becuase I want to use CP as my regular protocol to treat all new fish even if they do not show any signs

40mg/g is perfect if they show no signs of illness. 60-80mg/g if they have visible symptoms

sensei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sensei oh no!!! Both tanks???
No floyd
Thanks God it was a new fowler tank I was setting up. I decided to observe the fish in the tank after TTM, 2 shoot of prazi and 1 formalin dip, but it was a wrong decision

I have 30 plus fish in my 600g and I do not let any new fish in there before 2 months. Those fish are safe.

The other reef tank is also safe

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thanks
be39ddfa86bc1da40959ed95c6aaf83c.jpg
This is my porcupine puffer Andy. He was covered in velvet for days until I got him into QT with CP. Of the 6 fish I had, 3 made it. He was one of them (along with my dwarf fuzzy lion and eel). They are tough as nails. He never stopped eating or smiling but he had labored breathing. After QT and a fallow period in the DT he is thriving.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your experience after 30 days of CP at 75mg /g what should be the success rate for curing the puffer??
how much time should I observe the fish in a qt tank with out CP after the 30 days?

Close to 100% provided the following:
  1. The CP you are using is pharmaceutical grade i.e. 99% pure or better.
  2. There is no biofilm present in the QT to degrade the medication: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/qt-and-biofilm.292878/
  3. You transfer him to another QT (at least 10 feet away) after the 30 day treatment period. Nothing can be reused from QT#1 to setup QT#2; only transfer the fish.

sensei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for your answers.
I do not have a cycled qt tank now, so after my velvet episode in the FOWLR , I am using my Tank Transffer tanks. I calculated the water to get a ocncentration of 75mg/g of CP using 5 CP tablets and every 3 days I transfer the fish to new tank with new active ingredient.
CP is light sensitive so using new water with fresh CP seems reasonable and now that I learned about the degradation with biofilm it also makes sense. I am using the daily water change that comes out from main dt ( non infected tank) for the tank tranffers.
It is easy this way. I would need 10 Tank tranffers for the 30 day CP treatment.
How does it sound?

sensei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Close to 100% provided the following:
  1. The CP you are using is pharmaceutical grade i.e. 99% pure or better.
  2. There is no biofilm present in the QT to degrade the medication: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/qt-and-biofilm.292878/
  3. You transfer him to another QT (at least 10 feet away) after the 30 day treatment period. Nothing can be reused from QT#1 to setup QT#2; only transfer the fish.
I am using tablets for human consumption, so purity is fine.
when you say "Nothing can be reused from QT#1 to setup QT#2; only transfer the fish.", I am guessing you could reuse accesories of QT#1 if they were boiled or somehow sterilized correct?

thanks a lot

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for your answers.
I do not have a cycled qt tank now, so after my velvet episode in the FOWLR , I am using my Tank Transffer tanks. I calculated the water to get a ocncentration of 75mg/g of CP using 5 CP tablets and every 3 days I transfer the fish to new tank with new active ingredient.
CP is light sensitive so using new water with fresh CP seems reasonable and now that I learned about the degradation with biofilm it also makes sense. I am using the daily water change that comes out from main dt ( non infected tank) for the tank tranffers.
It is easy this way. I would need 10 Tank tranffers for the 30 day CP treatment.
How does it sound?
Why are you transferring tanks? Just put the CP in and leave him in there.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using tablets for human consumption, so purity is fine.

The tablets are fine to use, but the downside is you get less "chloroquine base" out of them so you must dose more (which becomes more expensive). The following was taken from Bob Goemans online book, THE LIVING AQUARIUM MANUAL:
In most cases, 250 mg tablets have an equivalence of 150 mg chloroquine base, and 500 mg tablets have an equivalence of 300 mg chloroquine base. Although the purity mentioned above is generally accurate, it would be best to verify the chloroquine base contained in the tablets of your choice in order to be able to properly calculate the exact dosage. Keep in mind if you decide to use the tablets, there are some inactive ingredients, which you may have to deal with, e.g., Camauba Wax, Colloidal Silicon Dioxide, Dibasic Calcium Phosphate, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Magnesium Stearate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Polyethylene Glycol, Polysorbate 80, Pregelatinized Starch, Sodium Starch Glycolate, Stearic Acid, and Titanium Dioxide. And as mentioned earlier in this chapter there are occasions where some medicines are not in their pure form (100% pure), i.e., mixed with a substance called a 'carrier,' which should be noted on its label. If so its potency is reduced, and if not sure about the exact amount of medication needed, suggest contacting a more experienced aquarist for the way to resolve this situation.

sensei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tablets are fine to use, but the downside is you get less "chloroquine base" out of them so you must dose more (which becomes more expensive). The following was taken from Bob Goemans online book, THE LIVING AQUARIUM MANUAL:
I paid 20$ for 200 tablets of 250mg of CP equivalent to 155mg of base
In my country it is easy to get the tablets but it will be difficult to get the CP powder.
the 40-80 mg/g dose for the use of CP is of Cloroquine Phosphate correct? not cloroquine base?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 40-80 mg/g dose for the use of CP is of Cloroquine Phosphate correct? not cloroquine base?

Because you are using the tablets, dose according to the 155mg chloroquine base. You are only getting 155mg of usable chloroquine out of those tablets.

sensei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Humble,

I am a little confused now.
I thought the concentration of CP for therapeutic uses was given in cloroquine phosphate and not the cloroquine base,
for example a tablet that contains 250mg of cloroquine phosphate would be good for 3.33gallons at a concentration of 75mg / g. calculations= 250mg/75mg/g=3.33g
but according to your answer above I am getting the impression that I should run the calculation with cloroquine base, meaning that 1 tablets that contains 250mg of cloroquine phosphate equivalent to 155mg of cloroquine base would be good for 2.06g at the same 75mg/g. calculation is as follows= 155mg/75mg/g=2.06g

can you please confirm which that the right calculation is the 2nd one??

If this is the case I have been treating the puffer at 46.54mg/g of base instead of 75mg/g.
I have treated him for 7 days now, does this mean that I need to treat him for 30 more days at the correct dose of 75mg and just forget the 7 days that I have treated at 46mg/g?

thanks a lot

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but according to your answer above I am getting the impression that I should run the calculation with cloroquine base, meaning that 1 tablets that contains 250mg of cloroquine phosphate equivalent to 155mg of cloroquine base would be good for 2.06g at the same 75mg/g. calculation is as follows= 155mg/75mg/g=2.06g

^^ This is how you would want to dose.

Back