Chloroquine phosphate

darian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it normal for the water to get cloudy 20 hours after dosing cp pills? the trigger fish has shown improvement with less spots on body. @Humblefish

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it normal for the water to get cloudy 20 hours after dosing cp pills? the trigger fish has shown improvement with less spots on body. @Humblefish

Did you have any other meds in the water at the time? It could be a bacterial bloom. Add extra oxygen to the water by pointing a small powerhead toward the surface of the water or adding an airstone. Adding bacteria to the water like Dr. Tims (as an example) should also help reduce the floating bacteria.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not unusual for CP to cloud the water. It's the binder and other ingredients found in the tablets.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this thread! I just read all 48 pages ;Wideyed I think all my questions have been answered. I had an outbreak of ich, so I'm currently sitting fallow. But I believe I'll be using prazi and CP (separate of course after reading this) for my QT prophylaxis here on out.

57hornet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Humblefish, we are dosing with CP now in our QT tank. 29 gal bare bottom, 3 fish. The amonia is spiking even after several water changes. It has come down a little, its currently holding at .2ppm. We have done between 5-15 gal water changes daily and we can't get it lowered. Any thoughts, ideas?

Thanks

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Humblefish, we are dosing with CP now in our QT tank. 29 gal bare bottom, 3 fish. The amonia is spiking even after several water changes. It has come down a little, its currently holding at .2ppm. We have done between 5-15 gal water changes daily and we can't get it lowered. Any thoughts, ideas?

How are you testing for ammonia? CP interferes with most liquid ammonia test kits. Therefore, you have to rely upon the Seachem ammonia alert badge:

41e7XCJ8QdL._SY300_.jpg

57hornet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the badge and the middle is grey. Good to know about the CP interfering w the ammonia test kits, thank you. Will CP make the ammonia spike?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will CP make the ammonia spike?

It will put a dent in your nitrifying bacteria population, but shouldn't greatly impact a healthy bio-filter's capacity to process ammonia.

Akersta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience running sharks through CP? I've heard of them being treated with Quinine salts which are no longer available in the US to my knowledge. I have an Epaulette I'd like to run through treatment while I have the chance.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who use CP from questionable sources that may not be 99% pure, below is food for thought. Malaria is caused by parasitic protozoans, and if those can build up immunity to chloroquine then it is logical to conclude so could strains of ich, velvet, brook & uronema. :eek:
KOLKATA: As the city battles a fresh outbreak of dengue, treatment of malaria has been hit by a growing resistance to chloroquine, the primary drug against the vector-borne disease.

Doctors across hospitals and clinics are worried by the inefficacy of the medicine that would treat malaria in 4-5 days till a few years ago. Around 40% of malaria patients in the city don't respond to chloroquine any more, say experts. The artemisinin group of drugs — administered both orally and through the intravenous route — is being used more frequently as an alternative.

Read more: http://www.medicalhealthnews.net/drug-resistant-malaria-adds-to-city-dengue-sting

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who use CP from questionable sources that may not be 99% pure, below is food for thought. Malaria is caused by parasitic protozoans, and if those can build up immunity to chloroquine then it is logical to conclude so could strains of ich, velvet, brook & uronema. :eek:

Read more: http://www.medicalhealthnews.net/drug-resistant-malaria-adds-to-city-dengue-sting
I'd like to know if these people have been treated for malaria before. Maybe it's something in their body.

sigmarabi1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have a Midas Blenny and a Zebra Angelfish in QT, how these two handle CP??

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have a Midas Blenny and a Zebra Angelfish in QT, how these two handle CP??
I've put a Starry Blenny and a Molly Miller Blenny through chloroquine (approx. 50 mg/ gallon) and it didn't faze them.

MyLittleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is dosing Seachem Stability while doing CP treatment in the hospital tank is ok? I'm assuming yes, but I wonder about that bio-film...

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is dosing Seachem Stability while doing CP treatment in the hospital tank is ok? I'm assuming yes, but I wonder about that bio-film...
I used a whole big bottle of stability in a 20g QT with CP in it. It never took. As soon as I added carbon (after 30 days) the biofilter started forming.

I was in a velvet emergency so I didn't have time to get anything prepped. Now I leave a bag of ceramic media in my DT sump in case I have another emergency.

MyLittleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone put an moray eel through CP with success? I have a dwarf golden moray eel and wondered if tank transfer would be better for him or not. I'll have to keep him in one of those critter cages throughout either treatment because he can squeeze through the tiniest of openings.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back