Chloroquine phosphate

Jwalker814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I'm local to you and am having difficulty locating a vet that will prescribe me CP.

Curious as to where you get your prescription.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I'm local to you and am having difficulty locating a vet that will prescribe me CP.

My last Rx came from Shreveport, so that might be a drive for you.

I believe @clsanchez77 found a vet in Metairie who will write a Rx. Hopefully he chimes in.

Jwalker814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully. Thanks! Any way I could buy some from you to dose a 60g twice until I source a script?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully. Thanks! Any way I could buy some from you to dose a 60g twice until I source a script?

I'm on the road right now (Kansas City) and my "stash" is in storage (in Arkansas). Sorry...

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the deal with not using CP on wrasse? I was planning on treating everything preemptively with CP including many reef safe wrasse

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules but is there anyone here I can possibly buy some real CP from? I can't find a vet here in upstate New York who will write a script for me and I'm tired of losing fish and money. Just wanna do things right for a chance. Or if someone knows of a place online that is legit and sells the real thing? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the deal with not using CP on wrasse? I was planning on treating everything preemptively with CP including many reef safe wrasse

Using CP on wrasses has been hit or miss (for some unknown reason.) More testing is needed.

sigmarabi1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm done with copper, after loosing a purple tang (and other fish in the past) within a day of starting cupramine (at 1/2 recommended dosis) .
Just placed my order of CP (30grams) from Diomondback. Since my mimic chocolate tang stopped eating, I did a 10G WC on my 32G QT and I'm running carbon to try to get him to eat again. In your experience, are chocolate mimic tangs, yellow eye tangs, and flame angels susceptible to CP? should I do a larger WC eventhough I'm running carbon?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm done with copper, after loosing a purple tang (and other fish in the past) within a day of starting cupramine (at 1/2 recommended dosis) .
Just placed my order of CP (30grams) from Diomondback. Since my mimic chocolate tang stopped eating, I did a 10G WC on my 32G QT and I'm running carbon to try to get him to eat again. In your experience, are chocolate mimic tangs, yellow eye tangs, and flame angels susceptible to CP? should I do a larger WC eventhough I'm running carbon?

They will do fine in CP. As long as you don't register any copper in the water by the time the CP comes in that should be fine. Of course, if you are trying to remove all copper right away then a larger water change will be in order.

sigmarabi1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will do fine in CP. As long as you don't register any copper in the water by the time the CP comes in that should be fine. Of course, if you are trying to remove all copper right away then a larger water change will be in order.
Good news is the mimic tang is eating again and it's active swimming.

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What's your location? I did find a vet in Metairie if you are in the area. Shoot me a PM or visit me on LARC.

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine had luck with 2 large animal vets (horses). I have no idea if a horse vet is just more familiar with the medication (or less likely to expect you to bring the patient to the office!) or it's just a coincidence (???). It might be worth a try for those having trouble finding a vet. I know random puppy vets found with an internet search are generally unwilling to write a prescription.

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules but is there anyone here I can possibly buy some real CP from? I can't find a vet here in upstate New York who will write a script for me and I'm tired of losing fish and money. Just wanna do things right for a chance. Or if someone knows of a place online that is legit and sells the real thing? Thanks in advance.

I actually got a prescription from my primary care doctor for myself in manhattan. Got it for a 10$copay

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

what happens if you have both together

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually got a prescription from my primary care doctor for myself in manhattan. Got it for a 10$copay
If you haven't put it through yet, you'll find that "human quality" chloroquine is much more expensive. My first prescription was through a human pharmacy and was something like $25/7 tablets or 2.1 gms. The vet pharmacy cost was around $45 for 75 gms.

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what happens if you have both together

Honestly I've never wanted to risk it to see. It's not a good idea to mix medicine like that, especially ones that do the same thing. It's easy enough to remove the copper from the water and to test to be sure it's gone before adding the CP

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back