Chloroquine phosphate

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you Google chloroquine phosphate for fish on eBay it will bring it up if anyone wants to check it out

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't trust CP sourced from anywhere except a reputable human or animal pharmacy. They actually test their CP to ensure quality/purity. The guy on eBay buys his CP from a company that sources it from China, where QC standards can be questionable. It is also illegal what he is doing, because CP is FDA regulated and subject to DEA compliance. Which is why you need a Rx in order to obtain it (legally).

KSR008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't trust CP sourced from anywhere except a reputable human or animal pharmacy. They actually test their CP to ensure quality/purity. The guy on eBay buys his CP from a company that sources it from China, where QC standards can be questionable. It is also illegal what he is doing, because CP is FDA regulated and subject to DEA compliance. Which is why you need a Rx in order to obtain it (legally).
So I have a prescription. If I can only find in tablet form is that acceptable.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a prescription. If I can only find in tablet form is that acceptable.

Yes, but you get less bang for your buck out of the tablets (see below):
In most cases, 250 mg tablets have an equivalence of 150 mg chloroquine base, and 500 mg tablets have an equivalence of 300 mg chloroquine base. Although the purity mentioned above is generally accurate, it would be best to verify the chloroquine base contained in the tablets of your choice in order to be able to properly calculate the exact dosage. Keep in mind if you decide to use the tablets, there are some inactive ingredients, which you may have to deal with, e.g., Camauba Wax, Colloidal Silicon Dioxide, Dibasic Calcium Phosphate, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Magnesium Stearate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Polyethylene Glycol, Polysorbate 80, Pregelatinized Starch, Sodium Starch Glycolate, Stearic Acid, and Titanium Dioxide. And as mentioned earlier in this chapter there are occasions where some medicines are not in their pure form (100% pure), i.e., mixed with a substance called a 'carrier,' which should be noted on its label. If so its potency is reduced, and if not sure about the exact amount of medication needed, suggest contacting a more experienced aquarist for the way to resolve this situation.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Basically, one 250 mg tablet only yields 150 mg worth of usable chloroquine; a 500 mg tablet contains 300 mg of usable chloroquine.

So, with the tablets you would dose according to the usable chloroquine; not what the tablet says.

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloroquine phosphate: Treats Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Marine Velvet Disease (Amyloodinium), Brooklynella hostilis & Uronema marinum.

How To Treat - Chloroquine phosphate (CP) is a “new drug” that actually was widely used to control external protozoa in saltwater aquariums back in the 70s & 80s. It was even used in some aquarium medications sold at LFS. Nowadays CP requires a prescription to purchase legitimately, making it more difficult to obtain. Fast forward to today and thanks to the power of the Internet, CP has come roaring back! The biggest obstacle to overcome is obtaining pharmaceutical grade 99% pure CP. I cannot stress the importance of this enough. Do not buy it from some guy on eBay or even an online vendor. The only way to be sure you are getting 99% pure CP is to get your vet (or an MD) to write a prescription which can then be filled by a compounding pharmacy.

CP is a “one and done” medication, meaning you dose once and that’s it. There are no test kits for CP, so it’s important that you dose accurately using a digital scale. Also, don’t forget to dose any replacement water (from water changes, but not top-off) with CP. The dosage rates are as follows:
  • Prophylactic treatment is 40 mg per gallon.
  • For active infections (visible symptoms present), I typically will up the dosage to 60mg/gal. However, I cannot say if this is anymore effective than the "standard" 40mg/gal dose.
  • For Uronema marinum and really bad infestations, you can dose up to 80mg/gal. However, I have noticed appetite suppression and lethargy at this concentration. :oops:
As you can see, there is quite a bit of wiggle room between the minimum & maximum dosage. Practically speaking, 40mg/gal will treat all external protozoa issues… its just that the higher dosages may get the job done a little faster. Treatment lasts 30 consecutive days, and no carbon, UV, etc. may be used during this time (although it can be used later when you wish to remove the medication from the water.) A little quirk about CP is that light will degrade it; however it appears this mainly applies to the powder itself, so store your CP in a cool, dark place. Once in water, you may use an aquarium light with CP - however fish with velvet are light sensitive so I would only use ambient lighting (ex. lamp across the room) if treating for that. CP is NOT reef safe. In addition to killing your corals, it is a very strong algaecide.

Pros - Gentle on most fish (see DO NOT USE list below), a “one and done” medication that treats most external protozoa. CP is the closest thing there is to a “wonder drug” in our hobby.

Cons/Side Effects - Expensive, hard to get (requires a prescription), powder is heat & light sensitive - so store in a cool, dark place. Attempts to feed CP laced food are usually not successful due to its bad metallic taste.

** Based upon anecdotal experience (mine and others), DO NOT USE CP on Anthias, Wrasses or Hippo Tangs. For the time being, chelated copper (exs. Coppersafe, Copper Power) is the best alternative to use on these species. **

** Finally, a place to buy Chloroquine: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a-place-to-buy-chloroquine.252610/ **

** Special thanks to @svogun for providing this link, which can be used to find aquatic vets in your area for sourcing CP: http://www.aquavetmed.info/ **

Just got CP in powder form from Diamondback drugs. Had to go to an exotic animal vet and explain what i was doing and bring a video of the animal in QT. The vet didn't know anything about dosages etc... but gave me a script and said to call Diamondback and find out what their usual dispensing volumes are for CP.

They quoted me:
Diamondback Drugs compounds this medication as CHLOROQUINE PHOSPHATE 1G/SCOOP POWDER, 30 SCOOPS for $72.20.

Enclosed is the cost of your order. In addition there will be a shipping charge.
Our standard shipping by USPS is $8.00 for small boxes not requiring refrigeration and $10.00 if requiring
refrigeration during shipping. Expedited shipping is available at an extra charge. Please contact the Pharmacy
for specific shipping rates.

but i think i ended up only paying $69.66 having it shipped to my door and it is plenty enough for all my QTing needs. They even put them in individual bottles to the amount that i requested so i have like 30, 400mg doses already measured out for my 10 gal QT. Will just have to split that when i do water changes...

Last edited:

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safe to use/ accurate reccomended dosage? New life spectrum ich shield
d3d235a3c2644374dd96d761db8bf91a.jpg
8b6949239feac4b4acf3f50186ed81dd.jpg

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it looks as if I'll be removing all my fish this weekend and going fishless in the display for awhile. Really feeling the bite in the butt with this one. I did observational quarantine and haven't added any new fish for a couple months... but I have added new corals without quarantine procedure.

I'm curious if my fish are compatible with this medication, namely one, my orange spotted filefish. He has been hit the worst with this, but is still eating strong. Other fish include masked gobies, pair of ocellaris clowns, potter's angel, barnacle blenny, mandarin goby, and chromis. (I'd like to use the gentlest treatment method, not sure if this is it? Seemed a little less harsh than copper?)

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well, it looks as if I'll be removing all my fish this weekend and going fishless in the display for awhile. Really feeling the bite in the butt with this one. I did observational quarantine and haven't added any new fish for a couple months... but I have added new corals without quarantine procedure.

I'm curious if my fish are compatible with this medication, namely one, my orange spotted filefish. He has been hit the worst with this, but is still eating strong. Other fish include masked gobies, pair of ocellaris clowns, potter's angel, barnacle blenny, mandarin goby, and chromis. (I'd like to use the gentlest treatment method, not sure if this is it? Seemed a little less harsh than copper?)
This will give you a idea on what fish is good with what treatment.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-and-treatment-guidelines-with-chart.283450/

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IME; all of those are good candidates to use CP on.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back