Chloroquine phosphate

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you run UV, it turns the water brown and breaks down the CP. I ran carbon for 36-48 hours and then ran my UV and the water browned out just like Dr Charlie Gregory @ Healthy Aquatics Marine Institute said it would. Did not seem to affect the fish though.

Unsure if it was due to the CP, but my phosphates rocked to 1ppm after my display tank treatment. It was so high that I had to use lanthanum chloride to pull it down to something reasonable.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, no practical way to know if CP is 100% removed. I also agree if you are seeing algea growth CP should be mostly gone.

Regarding UV, I am under the impression CP is only UV sensitive while in powdered form, am I mistaken?
I was wondering about this as well. It has been discussed many times whether UV or visible light has any effect on CP. It keeps getting discussed without a clear consensus. Do you know more, @Humblefish ?

@Christoph and I were discussing CP earlier today, so I will defer to him. I believe he told me that Chloroquine is NOT light sensitive. The confusion stems from chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine suspected of causing light sensitivity in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.

But I believe @Christoph can give us a definitive answer on this. In addition to being a brilliant chemist, Christoph has started a company (Oceamo) which does ICP testing.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I did with the Fishmam/National Fish Pharm CP and it worked just fine for my puffer.

I'm actually having some of their CP independently tested, and will share the results with everyone.

It doesn't guarantee anything (another batch could be different), but it should give us some insight into overall quality/purity of Fishman's CP.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually having some of their CP independently tested, and will share the results with everyone.

It doesn't guarantee anything (another batch could be different), but it should give us some insight into overall quality/purity of Fishman's CP.
FWIW, I spoke with Dr. Fishman before I bought, and he was adamant that his CP comes from India, not China. Is India better than China? Maybe slightly, but they have a burgeoning pharmaceutical manufacturing industry.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I spoke with Dr. Fishman before I bought, and he was adamant that his CP comes from India, not China. Is India better than China? Maybe slightly, but they have a burgeoning pharmaceutical manufacturing industry.

I don't think either country has stringent QC standards. Whenever pharmaceutical grade meds are sourced from there, each & every batch is supposed to be tested for purity, contaminants, etc. back in the destination country. In most countries, this is probably only done on meds meant for human consumption.

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Christoph and I were discussing CP earlier today, so I will defer to him. I believe he told me that Chloroquine is NOT light sensitive. The confusion stems from chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine suspected of causing light sensitivity in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.

But I believe @Christoph can give us a definitive answer on this. In addition to being a brilliant chemist, Christoph has started a company (Oceamo) which does ICP testing.

Thanks Bobby for the compliment :)

I actually cant find any literature references describing the light sensitivity of CP, but its not impossible unfortunately that the chemical is sensitive to light. This is not problematic for solid CP (that is protected from light by self-shielding, and should be stored in the dark and in the cold anyway for long-term storage).

It might be true that CP in solution (in water) decomposes faster with strong lights on. But this is something we would need to evaluate in an experimental setup. When i find some time i will run some experiments on it.

Best,
Christoph

xRob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the current thinking on CP for wrasse? Specifically leopards (m. bipartus) and flashers. I've read varying accounts of peoples experiences with these species - Some say they die after X days every time while others appear to have no problems whatsoever. Is dosage key (i.e. on the lower end of therapeutic)?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the current thinking on CP for wrasse? Specifically leopards (m. bipartus) and flashers. I've read varying accounts of peoples experiences with these species - Some say they die after X days every time while others appear to have no problems whatsoever. Is dosage key (i.e. on the lower end of therapeutic)?

I'm currently having good success using CP @ 40mg/gal on Cirrhilabrus and Halichoeres genus wrasses.

Jury is still out on all others.

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a female rhomboid kick the bucket on CP for no apparent reason. She was doing great. Lots of signs that she was a healthy fish with a solid appetite. Then dead after a week. I even fed her earlier that day and she looked fine. I try to stick with chelated copper now for my fairy wrasses.

Also managed to get a few leopards through CP. Ornate, Potters, and meleagris. YMMV! I only used CP because of an unexpected situation where I couldn’t dose Copper Power.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a female rhomboid kick the bucket on CP for no apparent reason. She was doing great. Lots of signs that she was a healthy fish with a solid appetite. Then dead after a week. I even fed her earlier that day and she looked fine. I try to stick with chelated copper now for my fairy wrasses.

Also managed to get a few leopards through CP. Ornate, Potters, and meleagris. YMMV! I only used CP because of an unexpected situation where I couldn’t dose Copper Power.

What dose do you administer? Where was the CP sourced from?

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The low end of the scale. About 40mg/gallon. I add a touch more to compensate for purity issues though. I sourced mine from toy_collector on eBay. It definitely works. I see a major improvement when ick is active. In fact, I have never seen a second round of parasites on the fish when CP is active. I haven’t had to face velvet with it though.

xRob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently having good success using CP @ 40mg/gal on Cirrhilabrus and Halichoeres genus wrasses.

Jury is still out on all others.

I know that here in the UK there are people putting different kinds of wrasse through CP @ 10mg/l with no problems. It appears to be recommended that the dosing be done over a few days. Having said that I haven't heard of anyone attempting to treat flashers this way so perhaps they are a no go.

psionicdragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a QT tank set up with 3 fishes under 40mg/gal. One fish died and shows symptoms of Uronema.

Will the 40mg be enough to take care of this in the other 2 fishes?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a QT tank set up with 3 fishes under 40mg/gal. One fish died and shows symptoms of Uronema.

Will the 40mg be enough to take care of this in the other 2 fishes?

I'd probably up it to 60mg/gal to account for possible degradation.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back