Chloroquine phosphate

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@wangspeed How long did you medicate for?

A little over a month. Then I put in carbon, waited 2 days and turned on my gigantic Pentair 50W high output UV sterilizer. I don’t think the carbon pulled everything out because I got a massive phosphate spike of 1ppm that I used lanthanum chloride on.

The CP made an immediate improvement on the fish. My swallowtail angelfish has the worst case and within 2 days she showed a huge recovery.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If CP is only effective against the theront stage, how can we be sure 30 days of treatment is enough for Cyptocaryon when the tomont stage alone can be 14-35 days not even counting the Burgess anamoly?

Other than moving the fish to a new, sterile tank of course, but that would only need to be long enough to be sure of being past the trophont stage.

Only treating for 30 days (whether copper or CP) can be ineffective in some rare instances, for reasons you outlined. This is why observation post treatment is so important, to ensure symptoms do not return.

Transferring the fish out of copper/CP after 10-14 days (into a sterile observation QT) is the best way to go.

Ric365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it possible to wipe out ich who stay in a substrate (ex: our coral) and i use it as a coral dip?

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CP will only kill free swimming stage of ich. Will not effect cyst form. Also like mentioned above it will kill the corals.

Ric365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CP will only kill free swimming stage of ich. Will not effect cyst form. Also like mentioned above it will kill the corals.

so what do you suggesting to kill cyst form in our new coral before put it to our maintank? (except quarantine our coral)

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so what do you suggesting to kill cyst form in our new coral before put it to our maintank? (except quarantine our coral)
there is not a drug in the market that rids ich in cyst form. best practice will be to qt corals in a tank where there is no fish. cyst will release free swimming stage tomites/theronts and they will look for a host and without a fish host they will die and are no longer a threat to your system.

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is everyone using CP getting it from veterinary pharmacy? Any one use CP from regular “human” pharmacy? If so was it generic or a brand name? Can I buy the tablets and crush them into a powder?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is everyone using CP getting it from veterinary pharmacy? Any one use CP from regular “human” pharmacy? If so was it generic or a brand name? Can I buy the tablets and crush them into a powder?

I’ve used both. If you use the tablets, you will need to adjust dosage accordingly.
The following was taken from Bob Goemans online book, THE LIVING AQUARIUM MANUAL:

In most cases, 250 mg tablets have an equivalence of 150 mg chloroquine base, and 500 mg tablets have an equivalence of 300 mg chloroquine base. Although the purity mentioned above is generally accurate, it would be best to verify the chloroquine base contained in the tablets of your choice in order to be able to properly calculate the exact dosage. Keep in mind if you decide to use the tablets, there are some inactive ingredients, which you may have to deal with, e.g., Camauba Wax, Colloidal Silicon Dioxide, Dibasic Calcium Phosphate, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Magnesium Stearate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Polyethylene Glycol, Polysorbate 80, Pregelatinized Starch, Sodium Starch Glycolate, Stearic Acid, and Titanium Dioxide. And as mentioned earlier in this chapter there are occasions where some medicines are not in their pure form (100% pure), i.e., mixed with a substance called a 'carrier,' which should be noted on its label. If so its potency is reduced, and if not sure about the exact amount of medication needed, suggest contacting a more experienced aquarist for the way to resolve this situation.
The aforementioned inactive ingredients may cause the water to become cloudy after a week or so.

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the package inserts for brand name and generic CP they all have that long list of fillers. I gues the cloudy water is caused by bacteria bloom from all that extra filler. I found a place online that sells 95% pure CP for research. Small print reads not for human or vet use. Was 81$ for 50g.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not a bad price for 50 grams. What is the URL of the seller?

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The name of the company is Cayman Chemical. Web site is Caymanchem.com. If you search for Chloroquine phosphate Cayman links come up that take you right to the CP page.

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Humblefish- when you have used CP tablets in the past did you get results equivalent to your veterinary grade 99% pure powder? It seems to me if a 500 mg tablet has 300 mg of Chloroquine phosphate base then it is 3/5 CP and 2/5 filler. That is only in the neighborhood of 60% pure CP. does it work anyway because the CP that’s in it is likely greater than 99% pure once you adjust the dosage?

PNWReefer17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do. My porcupine had a bad case of velvet. CP cleared him up in less than a week. He never stopped eating. When a porcupine does not eat, there is a problem, lol.

Here he is with velvet and then about 9 months later happy and healthy.

Good luck, please ask any questions. I love my porcupines.
20171209_213517.jpg
20180312_184410.jpg

My puffer is getting close to the same shape as yours. He still eats, but I can tell his color is starting to fade and is starting to thin out a little. What dosage of CP did you use and where did you have to get it from?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My puffer is getting close to the same shape as yours. He still eats, but I can tell his color is starting to fade and is starting to thin out a little. What dosage of CP did you use and where did you have to get it from?
I got mine from National Fish Pharmaceutical. I could not get a prescription in my area.

I dosed at 50mg/gal to account for any lower potency (because you need 40mg/gal).

I treated my puffer, lion, and eel.

XLOR8T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi

I have really high Phosphate/phosphorus after cp. it’s at least 6. I’ve tried diluting tests but don’t have anything to accurately measure higher levels. Fish are happy and eating. I’ve been running carbon for a week. What do I do with high po4? Just run GFO or do I need to several large water changes?

Here’s the details.

So my fish supplier suggested using CP in my system to treat aiptasia. Turned out not to be aiptasia, it’s ball anemone and I got them manually removed. Only fish in the system right now as my corals and inverts are in 80 day fallow qt.

Cp treatment is done. I do have rocks (Carib sea liferock and marine pure blocks) he told me that after running carbon for a couple of weeks. CP will be out of the systems and I can introduce corals.

A. What would be a good test/item to put in to see if cp is gone and won’t kill corals. (Possibly put a cheaper/sensitive coral in to test?)

B. GFO how do I use to bring down such high levels. How often am I replacing the media?

Thanks

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi

I have really high Phosphate/phosphorus after cp. it’s at least 6. I’ve tried diluting tests but don’t have anything to accurately measure higher levels. Fish are happy and eating. I’ve been running carbon for a week. What do I do with high po4? Just run GFO or do I need to several large water changes?

Here’s the details.

So my fish supplier suggested using CP in my system to treat aiptasia. Turned out not to be aiptasia, it’s ball anemone and I got them manually removed. Only fish in the system right now as my corals and inverts are in 80 day fallow qt.

Cp treatment is done. I do have rocks (Carib sea liferock and marine pure blocks) he told me that after running carbon for a couple of weeks. CP will be out of the systems and I can introduce corals.

A. What would be a good test/item to put in to see if cp is gone and won’t kill corals. (Possibly put a cheaper/sensitive coral in to test?)

B. GFO how do I use to bring down such high levels. How often am I replacing the media?

Thanks
6, as in 6.0ppm? First , figure out if it is really that high. Dilute the sample with rodi. So use 9ml of ro to 1ml tank water and multiply the results by 10, still too high, use 19ml of ro etc.

Gfo, phosguard, water changes, etc will lower it. I actually used CP in my DT, and it killed all the aiptasia (happy side effect, it wasn't the initial intention).

What's the reason for the 80 day fallow? Fallow won't kill aiptasia or any other anemone.

Last edited:

XLOR8T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6, as in 6.0ppm? First , figure out if it is really that high. Dilute the sample with rodi. So use 9ml of ro to 1ml tank water and multiply the results by 10, still too high, use 19ml of ro etc.

Gfo, phosguard, water changes, etc will lower it. I actually used CP in my DT, and it killed all the aiptasia (happy side effect, it wasn't the initial intention).

What's the reason for the 80 day fallow? Fallow won't kill aiptasia or any other anemone.

I did a 40% water change and rechecked and it’s at 1.87 now. I started running Rowphos.

80 day fallow is for ich and observation. The inverts I get come from a very reputable source with a dedicated invert system with no fish.

The corals I dip with coral Rx going into qt and revive going into display. The fallow period should protect me against ich which is key for me. Aiptasia isn’t pleasant but I can deal with it with peppermint shrimp. I didn’t have corals so I decided to take the CP route and make sure i start with a clean slate.

I’m running carbon and rowaphos and I assume with biweekly water changes and 80 days of carbon and gfo I should have a clean system.

Just gotta figure out what I would put in there as the canary say 2 weeks before others to make sure it’s all good.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back