OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, quick response! I could get my hands on another QT tank, no problem. The problem is finding a place 10' away to put it. So after two weeks, I move the fish to the second "clean" QT for further observation- for how long? With the current batch, I did Prazipro (liquid form) first, and have done two water changes and run some carbon since then. So if I start CP this weekend, go for two weeks, and then move them to another QT, shouldn't they be just about done? Or do I wait and observe for another week or so before setting them loose? Thanks!

I would observe the fish for about a month once they have been transferred over into QT#2. To ensure nothing got missed. I would also dose Prazipro in QT#2 because that doesn't always mix well with CP.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would observe the fish for about a month once they have been transferred over into QT#2. To ensure nothing got missed. I would also dose Prazipro in QT#2 because that doesn't always mix well with CP.

You can use general cure instead of Prazi with CP and not have the side effects right?

I’ve been thinking about switching to GC vs Prazi because every fish I’ve gotten I’ve had to deal with internal parasites [emoji849].

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use prime for helping with ammonia control in a QT when using CP?

I know you can't with copper but am not sure about CP.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use general cure instead of Prazi with CP and not have the side effects right?

I’ve been thinking about switching to GC vs Prazi because every fish I’ve gotten I’ve had to deal with internal parasites [emoji849].

Yes; GC is safer to use with CP. However, slightly less effective as it only contains 2.0 mg/L praziquantel vs. Prazipro's 2.5 mg/L concentration.

Can you use prime for helping with ammonia control in a QT when using CP?

Yes

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone purchased from aquariumstoredepot.com?

Screenshot_20180825-082448_Chrome.jpg
I am curious as well. I looked at their page and this seems like a really random thing for them to sell/carry. They don't even have any other meds lol. It's sold out so there's clearly some element of popularity.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using GC with CP, do you add it together at the same time or should I wait 2 weeks after CP and then add the GC into the same tank?
Will GC + CP cloud the tank at all or is this just with the liquid Prazi?

TIA

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes; GC is safer to use with CP. However, slightly less effective as it only contains 2.0 mg/L praziquantel vs. Prazipro's 2.5 mg/L concentration.

Yes

Thanks HF. I’m fine with the lower concentration. I dip my fish before they go into QT so they will normally get flukes and stuff before I prazi. It’s just internal parasites also get me so I always have to ya Metro. Make as well kill 2 aliments with one medication [emoji28]

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using GC with CP, do you add it together at the same time or should I wait 2 weeks after CP and then add the GC into the same tank?
Will GC + CP cloud the tank at all or is this just with the liquid Prazi?

I use GC a few days after dosing CP.

IME; combining GC + CP doesn't really cloud the water at all.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use GC a few days after dosing CP.

IME; combining GC + CP doesn't really cloud the water at all.

Hi Humblefish --- forgot to ask one more question.

If you bind GC with Focus in food, would you have a reef safe medication? Assuming that for this question there is carbon in the sump ;)

cfendya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great thread and I appreciate all the info everyone has shared.

I had a breakout of ick in my DT a number of months ago and lost a Powder Blue and a couple diamond goby's in the process (spread out over a few months). Since then the tank has been stable and no other fish have shown signs of infection (even though I know ick will always be in my DT unless treated). After I lost my last goby, I decided enough was enough and decided I wanted to go fallow in my DT and move all fish over to another tank to treat then move back after 7 or so weeks.

I went out and bought a 32G tank, some rock, sand and cycled the tank in prep of the move. In the process I also obtained some CP (from a known good source and prior to stumbling upon this thread). Tank is now fully cycled and I've moved over a couple chromis to slowly start building up the bio load to support the rest of my fish.

Having read a lot of this thread, I now have concerns CP is right for me (due to all the live rock and sand). I know ick will forever be present as long as the fish are in the DT but am I chasing a never ending battle? Does treating the fish with CP (or anything else) when they aren't exhibiting symptoms seem like the right move? Copper seems like a potential solution but with all my substrate and rock, I'm not sure how effective it'll be (especially with the fish not having any signs of ick).

Any suggestions or guidance would be much appreciated!

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the room for a second QT, even if a little smaller? As you catch fish you could treat them 14 days in CP in that, then move them to the 32 to observe while you wait on the fallow period in the DT. Unfortunately, you already moved some fish from the DT to the one with rock and sand :( You would need to move those fish, rock, and sand to have a known sterile tank again. You would have 14 days though to dry everything out and put it back together again.

cfendya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the room for a second QT, even if a little smaller? As you catch fish you could treat them 14 days in CP in that, then move them to the 32 to observe while you wait on the fallow period in the DT. Unfortunately, you already moved some fish from the DT to the one with rock and sand :( You would need to move those fish, rock, and sand to have a known sterile tank again. You would have 14 days though to dry everything out and put it back together again.

I don't really have the space for another tank ;) and wouldn't I have to wait for 7 or so weeks now for the 32?

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the 32 could be emptied and dried out so you wouldn't need it to be fallow. It's like a rubic's cube though :( Maybe remove all the rocks and as much of the sand as you can. Treat all the fish for 14 days in that tank, then you could move them to a tote or something for a few days while you empty and sterilize the 32 and then move them back while they wait out the fallow period. One of the regular experts will be by soon enough though and can confirm how much sand may be ok or juggling ideas :)

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there solid findings that CP will be absorbed and or bind with substrate like copper does?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely see your point on the biodegradation.
Something a little off topic:
If I can't seem to get a handle with ammonia in a QT with CP, should I use Prime, bottled bacteria or both?
I've been using both daily for the last few days but it's not really bringing the ammonia back down to zero, any suggestions?
Thanks.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can't seem to get a handle with ammonia in a QT with CP, should I use Prime, bottled bacteria or both?
I've been using both daily for the last few days but it's not really bringing the ammonia back down to zero, any suggestions?

How are you testing? CP in the water will cause false positives with most liquid ammonia test kits. IME; only the Seachem ammonia alert badge (or test kit) works when meds are in the water.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back