www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Reef submitted a new Article:

Chloroquine Phosphate

Fellow Reefers.

Now I have already written a guide on cupramine and how to use it to rid ich and for a lot of reasons if someone does not want to try copper then Hypo is another solution or Tank Transfer. These 3 methods are proven over time.

A new study/method is being practiced with success by using a chemical called Chloroquine Phosphate. In this guide I will try to explain as much as I can in detail how to perform this treatment with much success.

Please respect this guide as my personal experience and treatment method and NOT by any means a 100% guarantee. This has worked for me few times so please use caution and improvise if something is not mentioned and use this guide as knowledge and not as set in stone.

First off have a QT setup.

If you don't have a QT setup please look up threads explaining how a QT is setup. There are different ways to setup a QT. More than one way works the same for Hypo.

One you have a QT setup:

I strongly recommend use of a very reliable refractometer and ATO (auto top off system)

A tang with marine ich (and possibly other things).
IMG_8198-1.jpg

Ich2_zps8rzr4sfy.jpg

Photos are from the Reef2Reef archives. ©2019, All Rights Reserved.

Day 1: Buy your fish from a well established/reputable source.

After bringing the new fish home, do not open the bags. Acclimate them by letting the bags float for 15-20 min. Check the salinity of the incoming water and adjust the QT to that setting. Once bags are opened acclimate new arrivals using drip method. Once acclimated transfer to QT. Leave lights off for the first day and let the fish adjust to new environment.

Day 2: Turn lights on and observe for any signs of disease.

On second day, observe for disease. If everything looks normal proceed to prevention mode. Use Prazipro according to manufacturer’s recommendation for 1 week. After first week do 25% water change then dose Prazipro again according to manufacturer’s recommendation. Wait another week do a 50% water change.

Day 15-16: Water change.

After 15 days of observation and prevention medication, CP is ready to be administered. We have already performed 50% water change previous day so I recommend another 50% before starting CP.

Day 17: Chloroquine Phosphate CP.

CP is a white powder chemical that is used in a class of drugs called antimalarials and amebicides. It is used to prevent and treat malaria. It is also used to treat amebiasis.

The most common dosage for CP is 40mg/Gal.

Mix the dose according to your tank size and let it do its job for 30 days. After 30 days do 50% water change. Next day or two follow up with another 50% water change and use of carbon to rid all CP out of the system. Now observe for another 2 weeks and if there are no signs of ich then you are ready to move fish to main tank.

Note: In some rare situations and in some fish you may notice around 15-20 days, Fish might act lethargic and may lose appetite. If that happens, Pull the fish from CP tank to a sterile tank for observation and recover for at least 2 weeks. At the end of 2 weeks you may have to run CP again if symptoms exist.

Ich Emergency.

This guide is prevention and method explained above is with assumption that fish are new to your setup and may or may not be infected with ich parasite.

If you have fish that is known and confirmed of infection then don’t follow the steps above. Jump directly into placing the fish in QT doing proper transfer (acclimation etc) and dose tank with CP. Once treatment is over after 15-20 days do 50% water changes over few days and then use Prazipro for 2 weeks and observe for another 2 weeks.

I hope I have provided a good enough procedure for people to follow and wishing everyone Good Luck and Safe reefing.

Note: if there is an error or I left out something or you would like to add on to this please feel free to post.

Thanking You

Mike
Dr. Reef

Note: A prescription CP is better but in case your vet does not want to write a prescription there are few legit places online i can recommend that dont require prescription.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Note from the Editor: Please note that chloroquine phosphate typically requires a prescription from a veterinarian or a medical doctor.

~~~~~~~~~~~

We encourage all our readers to join the Reef2Reef forum. It’s easy to register, free, and reefkeeping is much easier and more fun in a community of fellow aquarists. We pride ourselves on a warm and family-friendly forum where everyone is welcome. You will also find lots of contests and giveaways with our sponsors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author Profile: @Dr. Reef

Dr. Reef is a valuable member of the forum and #reefsquad who often helps with fish disease issues. Dr. Reef is a real doctor who has been keeping reefs for 30 years now and practicing medicine on fish for last 15-18 yrs.

He has a 300-gallon in-wall display tank and several other tanks for experimenting with treating sick fish.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ooh thanks for the great info!

Gilbert50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been treating with CP for almost 30 days....so far so good! Thank you for the info!!

Gilbert50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have an issue due to having a juvenile dusky wrasse. I've read that they do not do well with CP. I have him and the following in a 20gal long: Bicolor angel, flamehawk, Tomini tang, Midas blenny, and scissor tail damsel. My pair of clowns and Chromis referenced above are in a separate 10gal with CP. I would like to treat the entire 20 gal if possible...if not, I will have to wait until mid April to treat. That is when my display will have been without fish for 80 days and I can transfer the clowns and chromis to my DT...which will free up my 10gal for the wrasse. I will then treat the 20gal with CP and the 10gal with Copper Power. That will be around 115-125 days in quarantine. Am I on the right track??? Thanks guys!!!

Gilbert50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will be treating the 20gal with Copper Power for 30 days. I believe all the fish respond well to Copper Power. Any suggestions welcomed!

OP
OP
Dr. Reef

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper power is gentle on fish compared to other copper medication available. Although the fish you mentioned above can all go through CP very well.
If you are treating them philosophically just to avoid unknown then go with copper but if fish is known to have ich then go with CP.

Gilbert50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper power is gentle on fish compared to other copper medication available. Although the fish you mentioned above can all go through CP very well.
If you are treating them philosophically just to avoid unknown then go with copper but if fish is known to have ich then go with CP.

I started all this because I lost my female clown a month or so ago. I'm not sure if it was brook or ick. My display went fish only back in June through Aug 2018, so was hoping to have cured my tank of ick. My biclor was flashing a lot and getting cleaned by my cleaner shrimp when the clown died. No other fish showed symptoms, but we're all exposed to whatever it was in my DT. So I need to treat with CP from what you are suggesting? Will the Dusky Wrasse be ok??

OP
OP
Dr. Reef

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses general dont handle cp well I guess copper will be you best bet at this point given the difference fish and their tolerance to CP.

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses general dont handle cp well I guess copper will be you best bet at this point given the difference fish and their tolerance to CP.
Can you expand on this? I'm in the process of choosing some wrasses which will be QT'd. Was planning on using either Cupramine or Copper Power in the QT system.

Badguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of Chloroquine Phosphate, but I have had so much trouble dosing that I reverted back to Copper Power and GC combo . I've had great luck with Tangs and Wrasse .

JamesS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting, here's a dumb question...I understand CP requires an Rx but how are you guys getting the patient to the vet??? Taking photos and calling the vet? Does the vet ever require the patient come for an office visit??? :)

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting, here's a dumb question...I understand CP requires an Rx but how are you guys getting the patient to the vet??? Taking photos and calling the vet? Does the vet ever require the patient come for an office visit??? :)

There are places that sell tested CP that don't require a Rx. It may not be 99.9% Grade/purity like getting from a Rx-required place, but it has apparently been tested.

https://www.fishchemical.com/ is who I bought from recently. I believe HumbleFish told me it was tested at 95% pure. I picked up 100 grams, cost me $50.

Re: Vet, I presume it is people using their longtime pet vet. I am pretty sure mine would happily write a Rx for me if I explained to him the situation. He otherwise wouldn't be able to diagnose what my fish had.

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To get a script from my vet I provided a pile of articles linked to in the CP section of treatment options. I also included clarification from Humblefish. This is the vet we used for our dog, and still our cat. He was happy to prescribe anything he HAD on hand, but this took a little more work. After the documents he asked for some pictures and a short video. I think the best thing that helped was Diamondback. He uses them for other things, and a call to them verifying the use seemed to resolve remaining concerns.

All that said, I still love CP but I apparently had velvet make it through 40mg/gal last time I used it. I did 14 days and then to a new sterile QT. It was still QT, so no huge harm, but from other posts from Humblefish and others I think 40mg/g is too low.

OP
OP
Dr. Reef

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you expand on this? I'm in the process of choosing some wrasses which will be QT'd. Was planning on using either Cupramine or Copper Power in the QT system.

Wrasses generally do not tolerate CP and die when exposed to CP. I would use copper power and use hanna checker to correctly monitor the levels of copper.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses generally do not tolerate CP and die when exposed to CP. I would use copper power and use hanna checker to correctly monitor the levels of copper.

Any idea why? and do you know if it is related with concentrations - I.e - they tolerate lower concentration?

Sincerely Lasse

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back