Choices in wood for DIY stand

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on building the stand for my new tank build. I've got it skinned in Oak. I'm having a hard time sourcing trim for the border around the top in oak locally. All I can find local is pine. I can get the corner trim I plan to use no issue, but the stuff I want to use up top which will wrap around the top of the stand partially hide some of the bottom glass of the tank not gonna happen local. I'm worried about the difference in grain ruining what I have planned. So I thought I'd see if I could get some feedback from some experienced with work working. I plan to stain all the wood on the exterior of the stand which is why I'm concerned about it. I do plan to do a two tone stain. What I'm wanting to do is dark stain like a walnut for the trim around top and the rest golden oak Minwax 210B. Really like to get some feedback on it. Thanks in advance.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert wood worker bit got some advice from a cabinet maker friend when I was building my stand. My original plan was to stain and I had used different woods on the stand and was worried about the same thing. He told me to use a "stain sealer" on everything prior to staining. He also said use a darker stain. I hope this helps.

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert wood worker bit got some advice from a cabinet maker friend when I was building my stand. My original plan was to stain and I had used different woods on the stand and was worried about the same thing. He told me to use a "stain sealer" on everything prior to staining. He also said use a darker stain. I hope this helps.

I do intend to use a sealer after I've stained the wood. Never heard of sealing prior to staining. What did you use to seal it before you stained?

Badfish83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stand is maple with pine trim.
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1382351940.863842.jpg

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sealer I am talking about is different from a polyurethane. It's specifically for use before staining. It's also known as a sanding sealer.

Culater94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is called a pre-stain conditioner. It helps eliminate blotches certain woods are known to show once stained. Sometimes it works better than others. You could also use an aniline dye such as transtint, http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?filter=transtint%20dyes&site=ROCKLER&page=11448 to match colors, when dealing with different woods. Regular stain won't do it, as different woods, even same family such as red oak vs white oak take stain differently and have a naturally different color to start with. Hope this helps. As far as finding oak to trim it out, any local cabinet maker and most lumber yards should have it available depending on what dimensions you are looking for.

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is called a pre-stain conditioner. It helps eliminate blotches certain woods are known to show once stained. Sometimes it works better than others. You could also use an aniline dye such as transtint, http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?filter=transtint%20dyes&site=ROCKLER&page=11448 to match colors, when dealing with different woods. Regular stain won't do it, as different woods, even same family such as red oak vs white oak take stain differently and have a naturally different color to start with. Hope this helps. As far as finding oak to trim it out, any local cabinet maker and most lumber yards should have it available depending on what dimensions you are looking for.

Very much appreciated

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back