Choosing a medium size aquarium: Is a 70-gallon, 100-gallon, or a 130-gallon the best mid-sized reef tank?

Is a 70-gallon, 100-gallon, or a 130-gallon the best mid-sized reef tank?

• 70-gallon is the best mid-sized reef tank.

Votes: 73 28.0%
  • 100-gallon is the best mid-sized reef tank.

Votes: 93 35.6%
  • 130-gallon is the best mid-sized reef tank.

Votes: 73 28.0%
  • Other

Votes: 22 8.4%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Choosing a medium size aquarium: Is a 70-gallon, 100-gallon, or a 130-gallon the best mid-sized reef tank?

There have been discussions about the best size of aquarium for a reef tank. Of course, there is the bigger-is-better perspective. The large size tanks (and all the related equipment) come with a larger cost and requires more space, and a larger supporting system. Other reef keepers thoroughly enjoy the benefits and challenges that are part of keeping a nano tank and those also come with their own limitations. If you had to choose a tank in the middle, would you recommend a 70-gallon, 100-gallon, or 130-gallon tank? Please share your opinion about the pros and cons of these aquarium sizes.

Mariner-Flyer-Back online-view.jpg

ESHOPPS just introduced the Mariner Aquarium System which comes in the three sizes listed above. The display tank options are 70-gallons, 100-gallons, and 130-gallons plus the size of the related sumps. R2R is currently hosting a giveaway of a newly-release Mariner Aquarium System so we welcome you to enter for a chance to win!

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I iterated through this for a couple weeks and went with a 100. I would have went larger, but the footprint was too big for my target location. I also don't have an easy way to do AWC, and the idea of changing 15-20 gallons of water a week or two didn't seem to fun either.

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of things get easier once you get to 120 gallons. You can comfortably fit tangs, you can sustain a pod population for something like a mandarin without having to constantly add pods. You can’t mess up parameters as quickly.

I went for 130 gallon because it makes things simple and gives a new reefer the ability to get everything they wanted.

This is assuming they are not price limited. On a tight budget a smaller tank will be cheaper.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rectangle vs cube also plays a roll. mixing a few more gallons isn't a big deal. But the expense of filling it with coral could be an issue. for my 32 I think I might try a pitcher to swap water and see if that's easier.

still locked down here in ME.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of things get easier once you get to 120 gallons. You can comfortably fit tangs, you can sustain a pod population for something like a mandarin without having to constantly add pods. You can’t mess up parameters as quickly.

I went for 130 gallon because it makes things simple and gives a new reefer the ability to get everything they wanted.

This is assuming they are not price limited. On a tight budget a smaller tank will be cheaper.
I would pick the same.

I had a 65 as a reef, pretty tight for the roaming bigger fish. I also had a 120 6 foot FOWLR, much better place for tangs/foxface/wrasses.

Greenm4ch1ne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank was a 90gl cube because thats what fit in my living room. I gotta say the cube was an awesome choice I think as a newbie. It has really allowed me to experiment with a mixed reef right away and has made it easy to create different par and flow areas for a variety of coral. Its been kind of the test tank before i get what is hopefully a 150 or 200 for my office.

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
48x24x24 is the best size or 72x18x24 if you want any tangs that swim more... the 24" wide is the best though

if budget is a concern nothing beast a standard 75 with a external modular marine ghost overflow.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said other because I have a 56 gallon column tank with a 30 gallon sump. It's a tank I downsized from a 125 gallon with a 70 gallon sump. It's true I now have to forego the bigger fish and that can be a big concession for some folks. I am learning to appreciate a lot of the small gobies and blennies and the tank is still big enough for cardinalfish, clownfish, basselets and even some dwarf angelfish. I have a nice amount of Coral, macroalgae and inverts but maintenance is very manageable. Also the 56 gallon display fits in my living room.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
135g Oceanic was one of the best mid sized tanks ive ever owned.

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
130, IMO. Given how large most reef fish are anything 100G or less needs a lot of compromise.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Besides advertising the giveaway - not sure how this poll helps. Since the only choices are the ones available from the company promoting a new aquarium system. That said - 100.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back