Choosing Controller

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great are those devices considered current cutting edge, does your iphone like the 5g? how bout radiums, those connected 5 g no issues at all here. cheap power strip, yep it has an app and connects. $450 computer thats supposed to make reefing easier, no it doesnt just connect .

as far as distance you think 5g is worse than 2.4g over the what 4-5 feet this device is from the probes, or maybe the 9 feet of cord they give you to power the collective? doesnt seem to be a huge issue since none of its set up to run without a hardwire in a collective when people really want the hardwire part to be about the actual connection.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2.4 and 5G horse has been beat to death already. 5G is not needed or even wanted in this situation.
When I see a statement like this it just reaffirms that a lot of people see this as a problem and are voicing their opinions about it. It does not however show that the feature is not needed or even wanted. For some it is needed. Obviously some want it. For others it is not an issue. Blanket statements do not make something true. Just my $0.02.

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
why cant they just make thier controller work out of the box with everyones 5G networks? , everyone runs a mesh network these days. Seems silly to make thier latest and greatest hi tech computer not capable of doing what a $25 wifi power strip can do.
I will say you do have a point. Not giving them a pass what’s so ever. I also think it’s stupid that I had to change the way my WiFi was set up for this. When I have 10 dollar smart bulbs with better WiFi chips. I did not know this before I preordered it. I do sometimes regret not getting the apex again for the trident

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
great are those devices considered current cutting edge, does your iphone like the 5g? how bout radiums, those connected 5 g no issues at all here. cheap power strip, yep it has an app and connects. $450 computer thats supposed to make reefing easier, no it doesnt just connect .

as far as distance you think 5g is worse than 2.4g over the what 4-5 feet this device is from the probes, or maybe the 9 feet of cord they give you to power the collective? doesnt seem to be a huge issue since none of its set up to run without a hardwire in a collective when people really want the hardwire part to be about the actual connection.

What?

2.4ghz vs 5ghz range is drastically different. I can pick up my 2.4ghz wifi a couple houses down from me. My 5ghz barely makes it out of my house. They have a very different range to them.

Having 5ghz is about convenience but that's it. For the purpose of a controller, it is inferior technology. Mesh technology is also terrible for something like this unless your mesh system allows you to lock the controller to one specific point at all times.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will say you do have a point. Not giving them a pass what’s so ever. I also think it’s stupid that I had to change the way my WiFi was set up for this. When I have 10 dollar smart bulbs with better WiFi chips. I did not know this before I preordered it. I do sometimes regret not getting the apex again for the trident

The Apex wifi chip is known to be super cheap and unreliable. I hardwire my Apex for this reason.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have no issues with 2.4Ghz connections if they work properly, but I don’t know of any controllers that have stable connections.

I’ve only used GHL and Hydros and both have issues with my network, and it seems like rtparty is suggesting that Apex isn’t much better.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no issues with 2.4Ghz connections if they work properly, but I don’t know of any controllers that have stable connections.

I’ve only used GHL and Hydros and both have issues with my network, and it seems like rtparty is suggesting that Apex isn’t much better.
Seams thst rtparty is advocating hardwired connections for controllers (both Apex and Hydoros) while also touting the benefits of 2.4ghz connections. Call me confused.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seams thst rtparty is advocating hardwired connections for controllers (both Apex and Hydoros) while also touting the benefits of 2.4ghz connections. Call me confused.

I'd much prefer hardwired if that's an option. It's a much better and safer way to run a mission critical system.

Since CoralVue doesn't offer that, 2.4ghz is much more reliable and better than 5ghz.

Not that confusing or difficult

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

To clarify, I don’t mind 2.4Ghz over 5Ghz. I still prefer hardwired.

I'd much prefer hardwired if that's an option. It's a much better and safer way to run a mission critical system.

Since CoralVue doesn't offer that, 2.4ghz is much more reliable and better than 5ghz.

Not that confusing or difficult

Coralvue does now offer the hard-wired XP8, but I think it’s overpriced.

Edited to add. They still need Wi-Fi for the Hydros, but at least they now have a hard-wired PowerBar option, albeit too expensive for me.

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

You aren’t lying my Red Sea doser always has connection errors

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralvue seamed to listen to the feedback on the XP8 for features. Way better then the first cheap rebranded power strip. Seams like a higher build quality (I have not seen one in person yet), and hardwired. The price is steep though.

ajdavis402

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think more of the issue here doesn't lie with CoralVue or any manufacturer of these systems, but rather the rapidly evolving wireless tech market and the range of users. 95% of new routers STILL have a 2.4ghz band for cross-compatibility. It runs to allow older devices (like original iPads, older laptops, some cheaper smart devices) to connect using the older N-band. Most newer devices are AC, some higher-end ones are AX and now AY is rolling out (AD was in there too). The 5GHz wifi isn't needed for these at all. The 5GHz band just trades out range for bandwidth, but these controllers don't need 4K streaming bandwidth. So at the end of the day, its tough to find 1 single WiFi approach that works for all users easily.

So for manufacturers they are making the device the most likely to be compatible at the most homes. Hardwiring is always the best if its an option. I think from a manufacturer standpoint it would be costly, as it requires the plug to be on a larger item like a power bar and limits options. At the end of the day, 5GHz would be tough as it would always rely on a customer's router to be fairly close to the tank. Magnets within pumps, motors, and the LED drivers would likely cause some decent interference on that 5GHz band which is already susceptible to degradation due to the wavelength.

Aside from that super geeky talk, I personally would love to see some company take the entry-level controller place. I had a RK Elite on my first reef tank and I liked it. Obviously it didn't have the features of the Apex, but it was less than half the price, easier to use, and reliable. Currently, the Coralvue is available at $450, but still needs modules and add-ons to function. I would be eager to see a good monitor-only setup for simple light control, temp/ph, and timers. I was out of the hobby for 2 years and got back in this year. I found an old RKE system for $180 which is so much cheaper than any current offerings. Looking forward to some good old-fashioned competition so the consumers can benefit. :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back