Choosing the Corallivore Butterflies to Train

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers, this weekend I'm headed over to the market to pick up a couple juvenile obligate corallivore butterfly species but haven't made up my mind which I want. I'm going to be training them to eat more traditional foods (no coral). Before anyone tells me how impossible this is, I've done it before with success. And no, I don't think of myself as some kind of "fish savior" or anything like that, I just have developed a strong interest in these fish and my actual purpose is to study these fish in regards to husbandry requirements, any negative habits they may carry out in a DT (apart from eating coral before being weaned onto another diet), and to carry out research in order to learn more about the individual species so that one day they may be available commonly in the hobby.

Here's a video of one of the shops carrying a variety of obligate corallivores near me here in Bangkok.
I have done research on the topic and past failures and partial successes and aim to continue that research where it was left.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be documenting everything I can think to record and share it with anyone who is interested.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know if you did get it
In the morning I'll get one...it's night time here Screenshot_2022-02-28-15-34-15-154_com.facebook.orca.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pakistan looks beautiful! That could be a good pick up if you ever see one again, forgotten the scientific name of most these fish, I have also had the same interest spike up as what you have.
The circled guy is the one I’ve forgotten the name of but he would be a great move if you do see it in the future!
713A7C5E-9F3E-4A91-B527-04161F7B1187.jpeg

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pakistan looks beautiful! That could be a good pick up if you ever see one again, forgotten the scientific name of most these fish, I have also had the same interest spike up as what you have.
The circled guy is the one I’ve forgotten the name of but he would be a great move if you do see it in the future!
I didn't notice him when I was at that shop but the reason I shied away from that group was because they had been there for a week or so and a few were scratching themselves so I was trying to avoid any possible ich...I know a week isn't long to be at a shop but that shop isn't the best...she just throws some artemia pellets in there and that's all the effort she puts into feeding them for however long they're there... lately there have been fresh batches of juveniles that size every couple weeks

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing a ton of research into these fish in scientific papers and anywhere else online I can to try to piece together what it is they need to thrive...I also have a Peppered Butterfly if you're interested in those guys...I guess you'd call him a facultative corallivore IMG_20220218_173451.jpg

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm doing a ton of research into these fish in scientific papers and anywhere else online I can to try to piece together what it is they need to thrive...I also have a Peppered Butterfly if you're interested in those guys...I guess you'd call him a facultative corallivore IMG_20220218_173451.jpg
If I remember right, these are fairly easy to get eating

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is some info here that may interest you. If you can contact him he's done quite a bit with Butterflyfish.
He occasionally is on R2R. If I can remember his handle I'll pass on to you.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some info here that may interest you. If you can contact him he's done quite a bit with Butterflyfish.
He occasionally is on R2R. If I can remember his handle I'll pass on to you.

I've been in contact with him! And those guys are pretty easy to get eating!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I held off on getting the Bennetti because I was worried my other butterfly was sick and was concerned he would get the Bennetti sick...turns out he's fine though...btw, if you like Pakistani butterflies check out this video the same shop posted a couple days ago!...btw, around what do Pakistani butterflies cost in the States these days? Please tell me the liveaquaria.com price isn't on par...

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I held off on getting the Bennetti because I was worried my other butterfly was sick and was concerned he would get the Bennetti sick...turns out he's fine though...btw, if you like Pakistani butterflies check out this video the same shop posted a couple days ago!...btw, around what do Pakistani butterflies cost in the States these days? Please tell me the liveaquaria.com price isn't on par...

I have no idea - In the UK I haven’t even seen a pakistan butterfly, or actually most butterflies. We seem to be more into the tangs, angels, anthias, wrasse ect…

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Pakastanis are around $140-150 for the 3-4" size from most sites

Live Aquaria Divers Den can have smaller ones for 90 all the way to 170 depending on size These are all from Indonesia.

There also some sites that will QT and condition for this same price. They will sell them for 60 if you just want Indo ones not conditioned.

The ones that are more expensive come from Fiji or Sri Lanka

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys, I said I'd keep you updated and I will...another shop got a couple C. Bennetti butterflies in stock and I plan to get one this time

Back