Christmas Flatworm surprise

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polishing my tank up before Christmas guests arrived and found some small flatworms!! This is the 1st time I've seen them and the odd part is it's been about 6 months since I've added anything.

I've found 4 so far. Think I should siphon and flatworm exit asap or just pull them out and wait?

20221225_141030.jpg
20221225_140844.jpg

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a wrasse I’m surprised hasn’t been mentioned yet. If your tank is low on stocking (1-2 fish currently) then I would try get a Pseudocheilinops ataenia. These are much less aggressive than sixlines are.
And their look is just as beautiful, my 3 (in your tank I would only grab one) helped with Monti Eating Nudibranchs a while ago.
95F462FA-08FE-458E-9AB3-4B82704B4A3D.jpeg
Yeah and if you've never a pinkstreak, sixline, or one of the halichoeres wrasses, they're truly amazing to watch hunt all day

Upvote 0

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the fish from the genus of the pink streaked are very mean, but they seem to be the exception. They all are great for pests. I've also heard good things about possum wrasse, but I can't think would know much better than I lol

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That's horrible!! I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm scared to go either way at this point to be honest. Worried about the chemicals hurting anything but also worried about them taking over. My tank is a 25g with 2 clowns already so hesitant on introducing more fish right now.

Thanks for the help everyone!! I'm going to debate it over of seeing how many I still find after sucking out the first few. Last night I didn't find any so hopefully it only correlates with the pod boom I had. I may let it run for a little and consider the damsel. Thanks!
Adding a fish suggested or siphoning them with tube gets no easier

Upvote 0

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a wrasse I’m surprised hasn’t been mentioned yet. If your tank is low on stocking (1-2 fish currently) then I would try get a Pseudocheilinops ataenia. These are much less aggressive than sixlines are.
And their look is just as beautiful, my 3 (in your tank I would only grab one) helped with Monti Eating Nudibranchs a while ago.
95F462FA-08FE-458E-9AB3-4B82704B4A3D.jpeg
I’ve recently started dosing life phyto in my nano and am now seeing red planarian when I’ve never seen them before. Maybe my pink streak was keeping them under control before, but I watch him glide right over a coral with half a dozen of them on it. I’m gonna cut the fish food for a week and see if that encourages him.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve recently started dosing life phyto in my nano and am now seeing red planarian when I’ve never seen them before. Maybe my pink streak was keeping them under control before, but I watch him glide right over a coral with half a dozen of them on it. I’m gonna cut the fish food for a week and see if that encourages him.
If not, springieri damsel will

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you see them glide over the rock, it doesn’t mean they aren’t hunting them. Mine went right over a coral with Monti Eating Nudibranchs and then the next day the main ones vanished, I’ve never seen them since eradicating the last one.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back