Christmas tree rock care

r33fertank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, just bought a christmas tree rock from my lfs and was wondering if anyone has one and what sort flow/light/feeding/tank placement etc they seem to do best in?
I know they need filter feeder food like phytoplankton and i am currently drip acclimating it with lights off. Any help appreciated. Thanks
IMG_5086.JPG

jmerideth1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, just bought a christmas tree rock from my lfs and was wondering if anyone has one and what sort flow/light/feeding/tank placement etc they seem to do best in?
I know they need filter feeder food like phytoplankton and i am currently drip acclimating it with lights off. Any help appreciated. Thanks
IMG_5086.JPG
Sorry can't help.... but had too say that is gorgeous!

OP
OP
r33fertank

r33fertank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing! I want one...

Looks like a bunch of worms (feather dustsers, small coco variants, etc). Phyto and zooplankton floating in your tank should be good enough. How mature is your tank?

Sure is, its one of the more intresting things iv seen in the hobby and yeh thats exactly what they are plus the rock actually has sps growing it and there is also little shrimp that live some of the holes occasionally coming out just enough to grab some food. Really cool. My tank is about 5 months old but was pre cycled.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are tough if not impossible to care for long term.

The coral they live in is porites which is a photosynthetic sps and the worms are non-photosynthetic which need lots of micro food. The conditions in the tank to keep the porites alive don't match the conditions to keep the worms alive. The porites needs high light, nutrients under control and the worms need food and lots of it to filter feed which can pollute the tank causing decline of the porites.

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are tough if not impossible to care for long term.

The coral they live in is porites which is a photosynthetic sps and the worms are non-photosynthetic which need lots of micro food. The conditions in the tank to keep the porites alive don't match the conditions to keep the worms alive. The porites needs high light, nutrients under control and the worms need food and lots of it to filter feed which can pollute the tank causing decline of the porites.

Do all porites have these worms?

I ask because I have an unidentified sps (it is yellow and looks a lot like a porites) in my tank and am having an hard time keeping it happy...

Sorry, I do not mean to hijack this thread...

Last edited:

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do all porites have these worms?

I ask because I have an unidentified sps (it is yellow and looks a lot like a porites) in my tank and am having an hard time keeping it happy...

Sorry, I do not mean to hijack this thread...

No they don't all have worms.

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They range, ones I have seen are about baseball size, spherical shape, costing between $60-$80. Not a common coral as they can be finicky, depending where they were grown.

OP
OP
r33fertank

r33fertank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well so far so good. All worms and shrimp seem happy. Mines a bit larger than a baseball and yes supposedly they can be hard to keep but not impossible at all. A freind has had one for over 2 years and is as healthy as ever. His is in low/med light, low flow and he adds Phytoplan and reefroids to feed it which is the approach i have taken as its worked for him but i thought there might be a few more people with different opinions. I will update after a few weeks on progress.

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds about right on the price if just larger than a baseball. Yea they don't enjoy high light or high flow IMO. Good choice on food mix, they need smaller particle foods.
Wait is Australian money different lol

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine, with five guys in it is doing well after six months. I have it on the sand. The worms seem to like moderate flow as they are filter feeders (their mouths are on the bottom opposite the gills) I've noticed my green porites are starting to fill in again as it was almost dead when I got it. The porites need light, but don't seem to need a lot.

My worry with these are you can't dip them because worm, so be very careful about hitchhikers. This would be a good candidate for a quarantine tank I'd imagine.

I don't spot feed. I broadcast Reef chili and Reef Roids a few times a week and Marine Snow on occasion. I have a clam, so I believe they eat the same grub.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back