Christmas Tree Worm Coral

Thoms_here

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept them a few times over the years. Host coral is usually porities, but it is sometimes cyphastrea (the one in the video). Neither coral is particularly difficult to keep as long as your system is SPS friendly. The fan worms do need fine particulate foods. If you have fan worms thriving in your system already, then you are probably already good. Most systems with a decent fish population would 'qualify'. If not, some regular addition of foods will be required. The bigger problem, particularly with the aforementioned fish, is that the frilly worm heads are irresistible to angels and even some tangs. The worms will shed the head if it is sufficiently irritated. That won't immediately kill the worm. but if it happens repeatedly the worm will starve and die. The worms also don't like a ton of flow.

I am not able to keep them in my main display, but they do very well in my frag tank. I have one there that is almost 5 years old and both the coral and worms continue to thrive. Tank in the video looks pretty new, so that's potntially a problem. You'll need to be adding fine particulate foods.
Yep what you said. Great advice. I got into reefing back in the early 90's and these were relatively cheap back then. I used to get them from a wholesaler for $10 a pound and sometimes $8 depending on how many worms and life on them.

Thoms_here

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I purchased this amazing Christmas Tree Worm Coral. It's truly one of the coolest animals/corals I have ever kept. It looks great from a distance but when you come closer you start seeing so much more. Small hermit crabs, the numerous Bisma worms, the coral, and so many other critters. Full of life!

Have you ever kept a Christmas Tree Worm Coral? What was your experience and do you have any tips?

GORGEOUS! I kept them successfully for years and target fed them the same homemade blender food as all the other corals and fish but I would blend their part and my Hawaiian feather duster's down to what looked like a liquid almost. I always believed in feeding a tank, just not enough not to pollute it. I just fed them what ever I had at the time with a turkey baster. I also changed up the food every time so they would have a varied diet. I never used frozen fish or shellfish Etc. from a grocery store I only bought fresh and really gave it a good rinse plus I soaked it in in Selcon also.

Good luck to you so far you really look like a pro. :)

Thoms_here

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BA1DD68D-FD22-4768-9624-0925D1BA1D4B.jpeg
Ive had mine for over a year.
Amazing, so beautiful!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back