Christmas Tree Worms

120Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have read, the do only live on this type of coral.
The worms can live on any coral type that encrusts. The worms start by burrowing into a rocky mass and then get covered over by the corals. However, it is usually a slower growing coral that they thrive in allowing the worms to build their tubes to compete with the corals growth. Otherwise, they could be grown over. Here are a few Google images for example. Some are brain corals, pavona and I believe I saw a pic of them also on a chalice or something similar. Also 1 of my very favorite captive specimens.

Creature-Xmas-Tree-Worm-02.JPG

xmastreewormsdebbie_4.jpg

christmas-tree-worm-rock-porites1.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's mine that I've had for almost 2 years now. They can be tricky and I'll tell ya what I've learned. They are apparently harvested from 2 types of areas. 1 being higher light then the other. It also depends on what type of corals they are hosted by. Porities are the most common from what ive seen. Porities usually prefer more shaded areas areas. The worms alone can usually be sustained by strong flow but supplementing with a phytoplankton or even the smallest variety of copepods. If you can get a hold of an aussie specimen, it's worth it. They always seem to have more mature worms with larger crowns. If I can find an aussie, I would buy it in a 1/2 a heartbeat. Best of luck to ya

View attachment 20161209_160830.jpg

Wow, I've never seen them on a such a pretty coral! That's outstanding!

I've seen lots of them on brown, dull brown corals when diving.

Mazecoralccocoaworm1of1_zpsf8df657b.jpg

Monkeytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a softball sized rock with them in it for over a year. They weren't as brightly colored as I had hoped. The worms seem to do fine. The porites they are living in have never looked too great. I have definitely seen they lose to other corals most of the time if anything brushes up against them. I was extemely disappointed not to find a single present under them this Christmas. I was ripped off.

120Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a softball sized rock with them in it for over a year. They weren't as brightly colored as I had hoped. The worms seem to do fine. The porites they are living in have never looked too great. I have definitely seen they lose to other corals most of the time if anything brushes up against them. I was extemely disappointed not to find a sing present under them this Christmas. I was ripped off.
LOL. The only presents I ever find under mine are hoards of bristle worms. So I stopped looking

120Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess now that I thought about it, I'll mention something else to look out for if/when you get yours. Sometimes the porities will get a slight film over them. Not to be concerned about but do try to lightly blow it off either by forcing water strongly over the coral or carefully suck it off with airline tubing. The rock usually looks a bit brighter from my experience after the film is removed

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess now that I thought about it, I'll mention something else to look out for if/when you get yours. Sometimes the porities will get a slight film over them. Not to be concerned about but do try to lightly blow it off either by forcing water strongly over the coral or carefully suck it off with airline tubing. The rock usually looks a bit brighter from my experience after the film is removed
yes, it "sheds"
yes, I though i killed it!

OP
OP
bump3rb33tl3

bump3rb33tl3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a softball sized rock with them in it for over a year. They weren't as brightly colored as I had hoped. The worms seem to do fine. The porites they are living in have never looked too great. I have definitely seen they lose to other corals most of the time if anything brushes up against them. I was extemely disappointed not to find a single present under them this Christmas. I was ripped off.
Lol!

OP
OP
bump3rb33tl3

bump3rb33tl3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone seems to have had positive esperiences with them, aside from the phyto and zooplex, has anyone ever done a blanket feed of oyster feast? Only reason I ask is my LFS guy recommended it as that is what he uses.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone seems to have had positive esperiences with them, aside from the phyto and zooplex, has anyone ever done a blanket feed of oyster feast? Only reason I ask is my LFS guy recommended it as that is what he uses.
uh my tank is kinda a planktonic play ground. Tunze comline skimmers on both, big fuge on one. lots of dissolved organics. Bought my first socks two months ago. Varied diet of Phytos, rotifers oyster eggs etc.
And a mussel I've owned for about 5 years, among MANY others.

120Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't target feed mine or do anything special for it but I've been told my tank is a bit of a freak. I do use phytoplex and other phyto products but nothing specifically to feed these. I kinda just squirter or drop it in. I would say the biggest thing you could do for its success is to keep it in strong flow and shaded light.

StephO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! I have some of the bright red ones seen in the 2nd picture. Wish I had other colors as well because the colors in the tank are stunning.

StephO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My xmas worm rock actually fueled a new obsession for porities with the thought of how cool it would be to have theven worms grow on some Darth maul porities!!! Can we say amazing?!

They look cool on anything

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back