Chromis acting weirdly

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 3 chromis 4 days ago. 2 of them started eating today but spits food out sometimes. One of them is always at the bottom of the tank they are in a quarantine tank. The chromis are quite big and one of them keeps having seizures today usually around the one that doesn’t eat. Are they mating ?. Is it killing the other one ? What should I do

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a disease may be at play. Uronema comes to mind simply because they are chromis, though none of the classic symptoms are appearing.
It might also be aggression related, if the dominant one is forcing the other two not to eat. The quivering next to the subdominant fish can also be an aggressive/territorial display.

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a disease may be at play. Uronema comes to mind simply because they are chromis, though none of the classic symptoms are appearing.
It might also be aggression related, if the dominant one is forcing the other two not to eat. The quivering next to the subdominant fish can also be an aggressive/territorial display.
Well 2 of them are eating and the other one doesn’t even look at the food and now has a few red dashes on his body he didn’t have any until an hour ago

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like this?
1642541996219.jpeg

Might have uronema then…
@Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 2 of them are eating and the other one doesn’t even look at the food and now has a few red dashes on his body he didn’t have any until an hour ago
Oh, when I hear new green chromis with red marks, it is almost always uronema - sorry.
This protozoan starts off in the fish internally, so by the time you see the red external marks, it is too late.

Here is an article I wrote about it:https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/uronema-red-band-disease-hemdal.788/

Jay

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, when I hear new green chromis with red marks, it is almost always uronema - sorry.
This protozoan starts off in the fish internally, so by the time you see the red external marks, it is too late.

Here is an article I wrote about it:https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/uronema-red-band-disease-hemdal.788/

Jay
That’s what I was thinking. I still have the 2 others in quarantine that I will be treating with copper. After 2 weeks in copper and no sign of uronema will they be ok to go in my display tank?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin is best on uronema. Since you can’t fallow for it, I definitely wouldn’t risk it getting to the dt until 100% sure it’s gone.

Bxr126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you by chance get these fish through live aquaria?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is why i tend to stay away from green chromis... i do want to have a large shoal in the future if i upgrade to a 300+ but it just seems impossible with these guys and their chance of infection

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was thinking. I still have the 2 others in quarantine that I will be treating with copper. After 2 weeks in copper and no sign of uronema will they be ok to go in my display tank?
Personally, as long as the two chromis are stable, I would treat them with prazi as well, and then hold them for two more weeks just to ensure they are healthy. Uronema isn't super contagious, and it is found naturally in many aquariums, but you still want to play it safe. As said, formalin is the better treatment for Uronema, but nothing can treat it when it is inside the fish.

Jay

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, as long as the two chromis are stable, I would treat them with prazi as well, and then hold them for two more weeks just to ensure they are healthy. Uronema isn't super contagious, and it is found naturally in many aquariums, but you still want to play it safe. As said, formalin is the better treatment for Uronema, but nothing can treat it when it is inside the fish.

Jay
Another one died the biggest one started attacking it. But I’ll try prazipro thanks I appreciate it

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can other fish get uronema other than chromis? If so can they get it if they are healthy

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can other fish get uronema other than chromis? If so can they get it if they are healthy
The fish most at risk are: wrasses, anthias, chromis and sometimes butterflyfish. It isn't super-contagious, but it sometimes does spread fish to fish. Once a fish has been in captivity for a few months, it is less likely to develop Uronema. Prazi won';t help with this though.

Jay

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish most at risk are: wrasses, anthias, chromis and sometimes butterflyfish. It isn't super-contagious, but it sometimes does spread fish to fish. Once a fish has been in captivity for a few months, it is less likely to develop Uronema. Prazi won';t help with this though.

Jay
Got it thank you for all you help

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back