Chromis and Uronema or Bacterial..?

taimarain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I was wondering what the "death sentence" is for Uronema. I keep reading about uronema killing fish but how long does it take? (Not that I'm waiting or anything lol) I have a chromis who had this "bruise" he's been in quarantine and since he's been in qt, other fish have come in with him.. he's been through a full 14 day copper treatment as the clowns he was with had something, I'm thinking brook, they died. (that's when the bruise appeared) and he's been through a Paraguard dip in case it was brook. He was one of my original fish that survived the velvet outbreak an ich outbreak then brook... this guy is a survivor. He managed to survive most of this with his little bruise on his side. Looking at it, looks like uronema... however it's been about a month since it's appeared. He's eating, he's swimming...he's depressed cause alone again.. everyone else keeps dying. There's no LFS here so I have to order online and none of the reputable places ship fish until May now cause its too cold...

Because of the outbreak, my DT is fallow. It's been fallow for about 6 weeks at this point. In about 2 weeks I can put him back into the DT as long as everything is fine. I want to make sure that he doesnt' have his bruise or uronema before I put him in it, in 2 weeks. I've added antibiotics to his water and it's helped a little, so what else can it be? Can it still be uronema if its been over a month and he's still eating...?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper will not offer a cure to uronema or brook. Since already in qt i would begin dosing and feeding metroplex. This will also treat brook.

if its in your display there is not fallow period. If there are no corals in the dt you can treat a display in metro, then run carbon.

i would probably also give the fish an immune boost, with a vitamin supplement like vitachem or selcon, or fish v.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper will not offer a cure to uronema or brook. Since already in qt i would begin dosing and feeding metroplex. This will also treat brook.

if its in your display there is not fallow period. If there are no corals in the dt you can treat a display in metro, then run carbon.

i would probably also give the fish an immune boost, with a vitamin supplement like vitachem or selcon, or fish v.
+1

OP
OP
taimarain

taimarain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my DT has both corals and crabs, so I want to be careful what happens there. The last order of fish were the ones that brought everything in, that was 5 weeks ago and never went near the display, so I don't have to worry about that being infected. (The first order went directly in and that's where the ich/velvet episode happened, hence the fallow period)

I literally live in the middle of nowhere (rural town in Northern China) everything I get saltwater related has to be ordered online. I can order the Metroplex (and I will even if it's to keep it on hand) I know what steps to take to cure uronema, there's lots of tutorials online. However, I don't want to load him up on metroplex and do another round of copper if I don't need too as he's been through allot already.

What I want to know, is he's had this for over a month at this point. If it was Uronema, wouldn't he of died by now? He's acting healthy other then this "bruise" on him. How long do fish have uronema for before they die?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its very dependent on how profusely it has has spread internally. If you see no signs of velvet or ich, do not have to do another round of copper.

A picture will help to diagnose :)

OP
OP
taimarain

taimarain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a month.. how can you tell if it's uronema vs a bacterial infection? I have a broad spectrum antibiotic in the water now, it's helped a bit... not sure exactly which antibiotic is in it, but it's helping a bit... metro would help either way tho right?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you upload a pic? It sounds like uronema in your description. Hard to tell for sure without seeing it.

The thing with uronema is, it can kill very quickly. However some fish including some chromis are resistant to it for whatever reason. Sounds like your little guy is a fighter. I would add metro to the other antibiotic you are using and see if that takes care of it. Dose metro at the full strength dosage for 10 days.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you upload a pic? It sounds like uronema in your description. Hard to tell for sure without seeing it.

The thing with uronema is, it can kill very quickly. However some fish including some chromis are resistant to it for whatever reason. Sounds like your little guy is a fighter. I would add metro to the other antibiotic you are using and see if that takes care of it. Dose metro at the full strength dosage for 10 days.
+1!

OP
OP
taimarain

taimarain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can try and get another pic, he's actively swimming around, I took a few pics these were the best ones. His mouth is open as I took it while he was eating something in the water... That's why I'm so confused. He's doing great if it wasn't for that mark on him

234101322.jpg 1193906645.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back