Chromis red spot

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey y’all woke up today did my daily routine for the tank and I was going to feed my tank i saw one of my chromis back portion has a line of red almost. I zoomed in and got multiple pictures. Any idea what this can be from?
i do have a goby that nips at it when it comes close to its cave but nothing too over protective and attacking it.
And it’s only on one of them, I believe the female chromi.

FCE8336C-90EC-46C1-8A26-6FC2E4CEB378.jpeg E7A69F73-1262-4F08-BC07-0ED31BC618C6.png 56586E45-D05C-476F-B173-3A5543C7AED4.jpeg

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks scarily similar to Uronema. Hate to be the bearer of bad news. Your tank looks very clean. Have you been testing for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate ?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d agree - that unfortunately does look like uronema, which is extremely common in chromis and has no cure. It doesn’t always spread, but the infected fish always dies.

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it weird that only one of my chromis have it?

and yes ammonia and nitrite are 0. Nitrate is elevated at 30ppm
Looks scarily similar to Uronema. Hate to be the bearer of bad news. Your tank looks very clean. Have you been testing for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate ?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a given school of chromis, only a few might get it. There is no treatment or fallow, but it often only shows up on the immediately infected fish - just be careful with anthias, chromis, and certain wrasses - all of which are highly susceptible. If it spreads you have a bigger problem (then again, they also will kill each other off eventually).

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No its not weird that only one has it, Its just common among anthias and chromis alot.
Hey y’all appreciate all the support. Is there anything I can do to make sure it doesn’t spread to the other chromi??? Also I plan on adding clownfish in two weeks I read they can get these too any advice to help me out?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a given school of chromis, only a few might get it. There is no treatment or fallow, but it often only shows up on the immediately infected fish - just be careful with anthias, chromis, and certain wrasses - all of which are highly susceptible. If it spreads you have a bigger problem (then again, they also will kill each other off eventually).
+1 to this.

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Best you can do is separate the infected one into a qt - not much else can be done.
Uro rarely infects clownfish so I wouldn’t be too worried there.
Thank you brother so I read a water change woudont do much would it still be helpful?
And how quick does this disease kill I just noticed it today

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Water change won’t do much (other than the usual benefits of one).
When the red sores appear, it usually is a matter of a few days before the fish dies.
That sucks man these chromis are the first fish I added to my tank 2 months ago, they have been growing on me every day :,(

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Water change won’t do much (other than the usual benefits of one).
When the red sores appear, it usually is a matter of a few days before the fish dies.
So besides qt there is nothing I can do to make sure disease doesn’t have a outbreak to other fish. I do have a anthias and one more chromis. Worrried for those guys

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Best you can do is separate the infected one into a qt - not much else can be done.
Uro rarely infects clownfish so I wouldn’t be too worried there.
Do you think this can be from me over feeding the tank and leading glass algae build up. I have hair like small white algae and I only
Feed ONE full frozen cube a day!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a protozoan illness that typically affects fish internally, the only way for it to get in is via fish. Some diseases flare up when fish are stressed, but I don’t think this is one.
@Jay Hemdal could answer about whether or not it will spread better than me.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think this can be from me over feeding the tank and leading glass algae build up. I have hair like small white algae and I only
Feed ONE full frozen cube a day!
This has nothing to do with feeding, or any other factor you can or could have controlled. It would have died at the store you bought it from, or in your tank in this case. Sometimes it just happens.

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you think I should qt my leather filefish? Or just close monitoring these next few days ?
This has nothing to do with feeding, or any other factor you can or could have controlled. It would have died at the store you bought it from, or in your tank in this case. Sometimes it just happens.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back