Chromis Tank

NSS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a new and bigger tank for a school of blue-green chromis. I've watched the recent BRS chromis tank build, but that is a huge tank and I'm not prepared to get a big grouper to balance out the chromis school. I do need a slightly aggressive tank mate though to encourage the schooling behaviour and keep the inter chromis aggression in check.
It is a 60 gallon rectangular with lots of flow, sand bottom and an aquascape designed to provide a habitat for the chromis. Lots of small branches in the aquascape and overhanging. I also have some larger collonies of SPS (besides a bunch of other corals) that will be part of that.
My existing fish that will definately go into that tank are:
2x Banggai Cardinals
1x Long Nose Hawkfish
1x Diamond Goby
1x Coral Banded Shrimp

was thinking about adding 7 new Chromis.
Any suggestions on the "predator" fish to balance this?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a great suggestion for you, I would however urge you to consider this one more time. It is a fair lot of fish stock for a small tank considering what you already have and what you want to add as well.

I don't think there's a hard right or wrong here- just sharing my opinion with you! :)

One thing to consider is that while your chromies might be somewhat happy with the small tank, whatever predator you will end up adding will most certainly not.

For compatibility, if you don't know it already, have a look here.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a new and bigger tank for a school of blue-green chromis. I've watched the recent BRS chromis tank build, but that is a huge tank and I'm not prepared to get a big grouper to balance out the chromis school. I do need a slightly aggressive tank mate though to encourage the schooling behaviour and keep the inter chromis aggression in check.
It is a 60 gallon rectangular with lots of flow, sand bottom and an aquascape designed to provide a habitat for the chromis. Lots of small branches in the aquascape and overhanging. I also have some larger collonies of SPS (besides a bunch of other corals) that will be part of that.
My existing fish that will definately go into that tank are:
2x Banggai Cardinals
1x Long Nose Hawkfish
1x Diamond Goby
1x Coral Banded Shrimp

was thinking about adding 7 new Chromis.
Any suggestions on the "predator" fish to balance this?
I have six Green Chromis in a 75 gallon tank, no other fish. They hang around each other and have for 2+ years.

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my chromis. I have four left from the 11 or so that I’ve put in my tank over the years. I’m hoping these four last, they add so much movement and interest to the tank.

Mine are in a 5 foot 155 gallon tank, but don’t school together much. I don’t have a predator, maybe the Lunar Wrasse could be considered one, but it is fairly docile.

Maybe use some Anthias to help keep the chromis from picking on each other?

Good luck with this!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back