Chromis with red spot

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Cosmo254, May 16, 2019.

1. Cosmo254

Cosmo254 New Member

0E6E0108-3799-4AD7-8296-AB9E310FB450.jpeg I have a Chromis with red sore behind it’s gill. It keeps going to shrimp for cleaning. It acts otherwise normal but I’m worried it has a parasite. This photo isn’t very good but if you enlarge it you can see the sore.

hdsoftail1065 likes this.

2. hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Big G likes this.
  3. BestMomEver

BestMomEver Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

4. drstardust

drstardust Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Chromis are very prone to uronema, and even though that's a distant picture, that would be the most likely explanation. Cannot rule out a bacterial infection either, technically. What's the story behind your chromis? Did you just get them? or have them for a while? Did they get quarantined?

HotRocks, Big G and ngoodermuth like this.
  5. ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

^ This exactly, here is the thread on uronema if you’d like to compare, but that would be my biggest suspect.

Uronema marinum
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...?threads/Uronema-marinum.247940/&share_type=t

HotRocks and Big G like this.
  6. HotRocks

HotRocks Fish Fanatic! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Expert Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I agree with the uronema diagnosis. It's almost always Uronema on chromis it you have red open sores.

ngoodermuth and drstardust like this.
  7. Cosmo254

Cosmo254 New Member

I had him 2 weeks when I noticed the red mark. I've got him in my hospital tank by himself. Nothing seems to have changed, the spot is the same size that it's been. He is eating and swimming fine. Could he just have gotten cut on something? How long would it take before he gets worse or dies? Or better yet when can he go back to the larger tank?

8. jsvand5

jsvand5 Well-Known Member

I definitely would not put it back in the tank until it’s completely healed. With chromis it’s always best to assume it’s uronema until you are 100% sure it’s not.

9. Mjrenz

Mjrenz Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

The link that was shared above tells you how it needs to be treated. He can't go back to the DT, uronema is a parasite that can survive without a host and he'll get it again. If you can save him he'll have to live in another tank

Draft saved Draft deleted