Chromium and Cobalt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

McPikie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@McPikie had you used a Triton ICP-OES test you wouldnt have to ask @Randy Holmes-Farley for dosing advice

Completely appreciate that. I didn't realise which section this was in as I had just searched for threads on Cobalt issues. I'd been given the Marinlab ICP test by a friend of mine so couldn't really turn it down.

At the moment, I am balling light by the Fauna Marin suggestions, to keep Kh in check mainly, as I still do weekly water changes. Does Triton advocate never doing water changes?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too, Cobalt seems to be high in my tank and I wondered where this comes from? Could it be a screw somewhere, or would that show up as Fe? Or have I overdosed the FaunaMarin Balling liquids to my Kh supplement?

results by Phil Cookson, on Flickr

Also, Phosphorus showing high, but so is phosphate. I guess these two are interlinked or could the P be from elsewhere?

@Randy Holmes-Farley I also see strontium is low. Could you advise how much I would need to add to a 225l tank to get it back to where I should be?

I'm not sure what this company does, but Triton does not measure phosphate (last i was told, anyway). They calculate it by assuming all phosphorus detected by ICP is in the form of phosphate.

I doubt you'll see any benefit from boosting strontium, but how much to add depends on what you use, and its a fine experiment to try.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too, Cobalt seems to be high in my tank and I wondered where this comes from? Could it be a screw somewhere, or would that show up as Fe? Or have I overdosed the FaunaMarin Balling liquids to my Kh supplement?

results by Phil Cookson, on Flickr

Also, Phosphorus showing high, but so is phosphate. I guess these two are interlinked or could the P be from elsewhere?

@Randy Holmes-Farley I also see strontium is low. Could you advise how much I would need to add to a 225l tank to get it back to where I should be?

I don't think double the natural level of cobalt (0.0006 ppm) is a concern. Not sure where it is coming from, but on your iron question, iron does not usually show up from metals because it is rapidly consumed and precipitated.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back