Chromium and Cobalt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

McPikie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@McPikie had you used a Triton ICP-OES test you wouldnt have to ask @Randy Holmes-Farley for dosing advice

Completely appreciate that. I didn't realise which section this was in as I had just searched for threads on Cobalt issues. I'd been given the Marinlab ICP test by a friend of mine so couldn't really turn it down.

At the moment, I am balling light by the Fauna Marin suggestions, to keep Kh in check mainly, as I still do weekly water changes. Does Triton advocate never doing water changes?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too, Cobalt seems to be high in my tank and I wondered where this comes from? Could it be a screw somewhere, or would that show up as Fe? Or have I overdosed the FaunaMarin Balling liquids to my Kh supplement?

results by Phil Cookson, on Flickr

Also, Phosphorus showing high, but so is phosphate. I guess these two are interlinked or could the P be from elsewhere?

@Randy Holmes-Farley I also see strontium is low. Could you advise how much I would need to add to a 225l tank to get it back to where I should be?

I'm not sure what this company does, but Triton does not measure phosphate (last i was told, anyway). They calculate it by assuming all phosphorus detected by ICP is in the form of phosphate.

I doubt you'll see any benefit from boosting strontium, but how much to add depends on what you use, and its a fine experiment to try.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too, Cobalt seems to be high in my tank and I wondered where this comes from? Could it be a screw somewhere, or would that show up as Fe? Or have I overdosed the FaunaMarin Balling liquids to my Kh supplement?

results by Phil Cookson, on Flickr

Also, Phosphorus showing high, but so is phosphate. I guess these two are interlinked or could the P be from elsewhere?

@Randy Holmes-Farley I also see strontium is low. Could you advise how much I would need to add to a 225l tank to get it back to where I should be?

I don't think double the natural level of cobalt (0.0006 ppm) is a concern. Not sure where it is coming from, but on your iron question, iron does not usually show up from metals because it is rapidly consumed and precipitated.

Back