Cipro as a dip (not tank treatment)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Empire
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Empire

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2014
Messages
439
Reaction score
232
Location
Charlotte, NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all - I’m coming off a nasty bacteria infection that killed all my tenius. I did a cipro treatment and the tank bounced back. I’m building my collection back up but I’m really paranoid about adding tenius back to the tank. I wanted to ask - has anyone done a cipro dip for sps? I’ve seen threads for lps but not much for sps. If so, how did you do it?
 
Hey y’all - I’m coming off a nasty bacteria infection that killed all my tenius. I did a cipro treatment and the tank bounced back. I’m building my collection back up but I’m really paranoid about adding tenius back to the tank. I wanted to ask - has anyone done a cipro dip for sps? I’ve seen threads for lps but not much for sps. If so, how did you do it?
I personally would use
Coral RX
Revive
Seachem DIP
Brightwell
 
I have for frags losing tissue post shipping and it has been successful. Arcobacter has been implicated recently as a likely causative organism and is sensitive to ciprofloxacin (and possibly doxycycline depending on strain). I would recommend a 30-90 minute isothermal bath.

Using cipro as a preventative dip is uncharted waters. I would consider that for wild and maricultured colonies with a high risk of RTN. Not sure I would do that for aquacultured corals.

https://humble.fish/community/index...and-corals-disease-and-treatment.10881/page-2
 
Hey y’all - I’m coming off a nasty bacteria infection that killed all my tenius. I did a cipro treatment and the tank bounced back. I’m building my collection back up but I’m really paranoid about adding tenius back to the tank. I wanted to ask - has anyone done a cipro dip for sps? I’ve seen threads for lps but not much for sps. If so, how did you do it?
I would refer to this article for something like this https://kungfucorals.com/blogs/news/the-kfc-dip-a-game-changer-in-keeping-healthy-euphyllia . They outline how to to the cipro dip. I have done it multiple times with excellent results. I would assume that a dip for SPS would be very similar if not the exact same as it is with LPS.
 
As a human doctor I can only state that antibiotic dips can potentially lead to bacterial resistance as not enough antibiotic gets absorbed.
I think it would be preferable to use disinfectant dip, like iodine solution Or similar.
For antibiotics to take proper effect, they have to stay in tissues for few days, not just few minutes.
 
As a human doctor I can only state that antibiotic dips can potentially lead to bacterial resistance as not enough antibiotic gets absorbed.
I think it would be preferable to use disinfectant dip, like iodine solution Or similar.
For antibiotics to take proper effect, they have to stay in tissues for few days, not just few minutes.
The KFC dip must be done for at least two hours, but preferably longer. The purpose of the in tank cipro treatment is not to necessarily help the coral tissue, but to kill off the bacteria that causes brown jelly disease, arcobacter.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new