Cipro testing on hammer coral

Dcloser12

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 5, 2021
Messages
219
Reaction score
203
Location
Marion
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a branching hammer retract, bleach and was pretty bad off. It looked moments away from death. It didn't extend at all for almost a week, when It extended slightly It was bleached on every head. It had 3 heads. Woke up one day and one head had BJD. In a panic I ordered some cipro online only to realize it would be 2 weeks. I did some research. Cipro is in most pink eye meds over the counter at every drug store. I bought some. Squirted the entire contents In a bowl of tank water along with some iodin dip. Soaked the hammer for about 10 minutes and did a rinse in another bowl of tank water and placed it back in its original spot. The hammer 2 days later and I have 2 heads, half extended, partially bleached. They lost almost all green on the tips except a few but it's coming back. Today both heads were fully extended and puffed up. Who would have thought that 7$ at Walmart and some pink eye meds could have actually saved this hammer. I'll add photos tomorrow
 
I had a branching hammer retract, bleach and was pretty bad off. It looked moments away from death. It didn't extend at all for almost a week, when It extended slightly It was bleached on every head. It had 3 heads. Woke up one day and one head had BJD. In a panic I ordered some cipro online only to realize it would be 2 weeks. I did some research. Cipro is in most pink eye meds over the counter at every drug store. I bought some. Squirted the entire contents In a bowl of tank water along with some iodin dip. Soaked the hammer for about 10 minutes and did a rinse in another bowl of tank water and placed it back in its original spot. The hammer 2 days later and I have 2 heads, half extended, partially bleached. They lost almost all green on the tips except a few but it's coming back. Today both heads were fully extended and puffed up. Who would have thought that 7$ at Walmart and some pink eye meds could have actually saved this hammer. I'll add photos tomorrow
GoPro generally used for anemones have been known to work with many soft corals such as euphyllia, Duncan and candy cane
 
True. It wasn't an original idea by far. How ever many people on herehave issues and do not know where to get it, they also worry about needing it on demand. Not many people know it is used for pink eye treatments. Someone had to be a test goat and here is what I used. Hopefully this knowledge helps someone else who needs cipro immediately and can't afford to wait to order some.
 

Attachments

  • 20220123_224229.jpg
    20220123_224229.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 109
Good tip!
 
I just treated a nice orange wall hammer I got from reef lounge. It had shipping damage and started to bjd. Treated 3 days with cipro then doxycycline,amox with cipro on the last day. Figured why not. I had it in its own quarantine if it died then oh well. I sucked out the bjd when I saw it. Well it went from retracted to fullly puffed out and beautiful. Next step was surgery which I wasn’t sure if it would have made it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new