Cipro testing on hammer coral

Dcloser12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a branching hammer retract, bleach and was pretty bad off. It looked moments away from death. It didn't extend at all for almost a week, when It extended slightly It was bleached on every head. It had 3 heads. Woke up one day and one head had BJD. In a panic I ordered some cipro online only to realize it would be 2 weeks. I did some research. Cipro is in most pink eye meds over the counter at every drug store. I bought some. Squirted the entire contents In a bowl of tank water along with some iodin dip. Soaked the hammer for about 10 minutes and did a rinse in another bowl of tank water and placed it back in its original spot. The hammer 2 days later and I have 2 heads, half extended, partially bleached. They lost almost all green on the tips except a few but it's coming back. Today both heads were fully extended and puffed up. Who would have thought that 7$ at Walmart and some pink eye meds could have actually saved this hammer. I'll add photos tomorrow

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had a branching hammer retract, bleach and was pretty bad off. It looked moments away from death. It didn't extend at all for almost a week, when It extended slightly It was bleached on every head. It had 3 heads. Woke up one day and one head had BJD. In a panic I ordered some cipro online only to realize it would be 2 weeks. I did some research. Cipro is in most pink eye meds over the counter at every drug store. I bought some. Squirted the entire contents In a bowl of tank water along with some iodin dip. Soaked the hammer for about 10 minutes and did a rinse in another bowl of tank water and placed it back in its original spot. The hammer 2 days later and I have 2 heads, half extended, partially bleached. They lost almost all green on the tips except a few but it's coming back. Today both heads were fully extended and puffed up. Who would have thought that 7$ at Walmart and some pink eye meds could have actually saved this hammer. I'll add photos tomorrow
GoPro generally used for anemones have been known to work with many soft corals such as euphyllia, Duncan and candy cane

OP
OP
D

Dcloser12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. It wasn't an original idea by far. How ever many people on herehave issues and do not know where to get it, they also worry about needing it on demand. Not many people know it is used for pink eye treatments. Someone had to be a test goat and here is what I used. Hopefully this knowledge helps someone else who needs cipro immediately and can't afford to wait to order some.

Attachments

• 20220123_224229.jpg
    20220123_224229.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 75

juarec0201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just treated a nice orange wall hammer I got from reef lounge. It had shipping damage and started to bjd. Treated 3 days with cipro then doxycycline,amox with cipro on the last day. Figured why not. I had it in its own quarantine if it died then oh well. I sucked out the bjd when I saw it. Well it went from retracted to fullly puffed out and beautiful. Next step was surgery which I wasn’t sure if it would have made it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 34 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back