Cipro treatment- Calling all Mushroom Guru's

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a few questions and wanted some feedback on a cpl things before I began my Cipro treatment on a batch of Jawbreakers.

I've read some good things on Cipro treatments for anemones as well as @Reefer1978 success with getting shrooms to re attach using Cipro treatment with success!

Theres just not alot of info or methods of success involving shrooms. And direct methods I've ran across where a bit confusing and want to make sure I have it right before I lock in and begin treatment.

I plan to fully record and document my treatment whether success or failure. Many of these Jawbreakers where bigger than a quarter and beginning to show great color before I Nitrate nuked them.

Before Nitrate Nuke:
20200518_175133.jpg
20200515_175046.jpg
20200515_172526.jpg
20200513_153601.jpg
20200513_153503.jpg
20200513_153452.jpg

I'm at the point I need the room. I dont have the time or space in my system to continue to nurse them back for months on end.
They are trying to recover. Some are showing signs of recovery but something feels wrong.

And I have nothing more to lose other than counting my losses now and just moving on if this treatment doesnt work honestly.

First I dont believe I have any unusual kind of overload of bad bacteria in my system itself.

What I believe happened is I recently Overdosed my system with undetectable high levels of Nitrates due to faulty test kit. Which stressed them and made them susceptible to some kind of bacterial infection in the process.

I know for sure that my Jawbreakers took the overdose the hardest as they shriveled up to nothing some barely bigger than eraser tip and detached from plugs.
I have been nursing them back to health and they are showing signs of improvement however they will not re attach no matter how many times I bury them and get them to attach they detach eventually and wont fully open back up. I'd say they are preceded at least 60-70% 2 months after the Nitrate Nuke now.
Although they are bouncing back none of them have fully opened back up and have remained in a constant state of recession.

I plan on using the 250/10 gallon treatment that has proven successful from what I've read.
I will likely cut that dose down and ramp up to 250/10 in 1st week and ride full dose for another week or 2 until treatment is complete or I completely fail.

I plan on doing 2 hour dips in treated water after lights out daily. From what I've read this is when the treatment is most successful as bacteria severely degrades over this time period especially when exposed to light.

Rinse place back in system until treatment is complete.

My questions are this.
Have you ever used this treatment on shrooms and how did you apply it and for how long?

Did you use established tank water from system or did you mix fresh SW mix?

Should have Cipro tomorrow. If you have any pointers please chime in.
If your along for the ride welcome aboard.
Any and all comments welcome.

Let the Cipro treatment begin!

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been super busy here with work.
Had to pick up digital scale to weigh smaller doses using less water but same mix strength going to try to get to it tonight. I have what I need just need to make the time.

I'm curious what you think about using established tank water as opposed to fresh salt mix that's been mixing for a few days?
I want to run this experiment giving best odds.
I'm feeling like if I use established tank water it's going to kill everything good and bad in the water either way?
Or should I run established tank water because it has some good?

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this experiment/treatment has started.
Decided to take it easy and go with my mostly damaged shroom. Which happened to be one of the nicest shrooms before Nitrate Nuke showing some of the best colors.
Heres a quick picture of shroom before nuke a couple months ago.
Was about the size of quarter or a little bigger.
Lower left hand corner-
20200513_153452.jpg

Heres a quick picture of same shroom before treatment. Dont let picture fool you. It's a little bigger than full size pencil eraser. Hasn't opened more than this since being nuked.
20200723_152648.jpg

All I have done here is take a 10th of total pill weight and mix into gallon of fresh pre-mix water. Decided not to use established tank water on this guy.
Dont worry I have a couple more I plan on experimenting with if this goes well.

I'm going with 2hr dip every night for a week to see if I see any improvements.

Peace all

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following to learn. Fingers crossed for you!
You and us both:)

I probably wouldnt have ever tried this. And wouldnt reccomend to anyone until I see how it plays out. There are reasons i have taken this route and I'll get better pictures tomorrow lights on.
My concern is not only in the shrooms have stayed receded but the foot also has on a few as well.
It's been a couple months. And getting my nutrients back in check has helped greatly.

I just have a feeling a couple of them has something holding them back and hoping this helps.

Shot in the dark really just going with gut feeling here:)

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For a bath that dose is too low. I am using a full pill on a gallon of water. Also using established tank water is better than brand new, mixed water. Less stress on the coral.

@LRT post some pics of the treatment and can you get into more details on your Nitrate Nuke? What happened?

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a bath that dose is too low. I am using a full pill on a gallon of water. Also using established tank water is better than brand new, mixed water. Less stress on the coral.

@LRT post some pics of the treatment and can you get into more details on your Nitrate Nuke? What happened?
Right on man thanks for that. It Definitely seemed like it wasn't enough medication.
I'll try 125 mg tonight and bump it up to full pill next few days. As well as use water from system.
I'll post some pictures later when I begin new treatment. Nothing fancy though all I'm doing is placing in Tupperware bowl and floating in my sump for cpl hours.
I am going to take pictures before I start nightly treatments to show progression.

Far as Nitrate Nuke I overdosed my Nitrates beyond readable levels due to faulty test kit. Probably sat that way for a good week before I realised what was happening. Took me a couple weeks and about 125% water change to get them back down to 15-20 ppm.
Almost lost my whole garden man.

Fingers crossed this works out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treatment #2 has began.
Went with 125 mg/half gallon from my system this time.

Picture before I started 2nd treatment. No noticable changes one way or the other at the moment but is it just me or can you see the red a little better today?
20200724_131604.jpg

As said nothing fancy or crazy. Just floating in Tupperware in sump with light off.
20200724_135607.jpg

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@LRT looks great. I do see a little more red, but it's also possible the original picture wasn't the best. Give it time, it will look much better. Most important thing to keep note of - is it opening up more - is it stretching out. If it is - you are doing awesome.

Please don't forget to tell us about the Nitrate Nuke. Still very curious what happened and how it impacted the mushrooms.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LRT looks great. I do see a little more red, but it's also possible the original picture wasn't the best. Give it time, it will look much better. Most important thing to keep note of - is it opening up more - is it stretching out. If it is - you are doing awesome.

Please don't forget to tell us about the Nitrate Nuke. Still very curious what happened and how it impacted the mushrooms.
Hey Reefer I edited my last post and tried to explain what happened. I believe you may have missed it.
You can also find some info on it in link below as well. I started a thread on the overdose as it unfolded here.

I started dosing Nitrates after finding my Nitrates to be bottomed out at 0. Started dosing sodium Nitrates to bring them up but didnt realise my test kit was bad. I ended up dosing Nitrates to undetectable levels until I caught it with new red sea kit.
In the interim all my Jawbreakers ended up shriveling up and detaching from plugs. Not only my Jawbreakers but my bounces started deflating as well.
I was able to bring the rest of the shrooms back with the water changes.
Was the craziest thing. Hit my JB's first is when I realised I had a problem and concluded I must have bad test kit.
But I literally watched all my shrooms begin to deflate and shrivel up before I was able to bring them back.
Was a super close call. Mostly everything has bounced back besides my Jawbreakers which is where we are now a couple months later.

Last edited:

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Reefer I edited my last post and tried to explain what happened. I believe you may have missed it.
You can also find some info on it in link below as well. I started a thread on the overdose as it unfolded here.

I started dosing Nitrates after finding my Nitrates to be bottomed out at 0. Started dosing sodium Nitrates to bring them up but didnt realise my test kit was bad. I ended up dosing Nitrates to undetectable levels until I caught it with new red sea kit.
In the interim all my Jawbreakers ended up shriveling up and detaching from plugs. Not only my Jawbreakers but my bounces started deflating as well.
I was able to bring the rest of the shrooms back with the water changes.
Was the craziest thing. Hit my JB's first is when I realised I had a problem and concluded I must have bad test kit.
But I literally watched all my shrooms begin to deflate and shrivel up before I was able to bring them back.
Was a super close call. Mostly everything has bounced back besides my Jawbreakers which is where we are now a couple months later.

Ahh thank you. I usually read the posts right as they are posted, so I missed the edit.

How high did the nitrates get? I saw in your thread 15-20, was that after you lowered them or before? 20ppm is nothing for mushrooms. I keep my systems at 20 all the time. I store with some of the hottest mushrooms around in central NJ keeps all of theirs at 90.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh thank you. I usually read the posts right as they are posted, so I missed the edit.

How high did the nitrates get? I saw in your thread 15-20, was that after you lowered them or before? 20ppm is nothing for mushrooms. I keep my systems at 20 all the time. I store with some of the hottest mushrooms around in central NJ keeps all of theirs at 90.
Honestly couldnt tell you how high they got. It took a few 30 gallon water changes just to get it to register on the red sea kit. So astronomical high I'd imagine.
Over the course from a few weeks from there I went through several more water changes to get it to 15-20 ppm which is where it has been locked in since.

What's interesting to me is some of the shrooms where not bothered by it. In fact some of them starting popping better color as well as one of them started bouncing!
I think my Phosphates bottoming out due to my Nitrates sky rocketing played a huge part in things.
Since I've gotten my phosphates back up to about .15 everything is starting to settle back in.
My whole intent was to just get things balanced and try to get it back to where it was before the overdose it seems to be working.

Where do you run your phosphates @Reefer1978 ?

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly couldnt tell you how high they got. It took a few 30 gallon water changes just to get it to register on the red sea kit. So astronomical high I'd imagine.
Over the course from a few weeks from there I went through several more water changes to get it to 15-20 ppm which is where it has been locked in since.

What's interesting to me is some of the shrooms where not bothered by it. In fact some of them starting popping better color as well as one of them started bouncing!
I think my Phosphates bottoming out due to my Nitrates sky rocketing played a huge part in things.
Since I've gotten my phosphates back up to about .15 everything is starting to settle back in.
My whole intent was to just get things balanced and try to get it back to where it was before the overdose it seems to be working.

Where do you run your phosphates @Reefer1978 ?

I aim for 0.08 for P. I think I already know the answer, but figured I will ask. On Red Sea test - you ran the high range? not the low range?

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Red Sea
20200725_175403.jpg
test kit I have.
Please do tell about low and high range testing. I did not know it was possible with this kit if it is.

Is there another kit I can get Nitrates further dialed in?

Last edited:

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Red Sea
20200725_175403.jpg
test kit I have.
Please do tell about low and high range testing. I did not know it was possible with this kit if it is.

Is there another kit I can get Nitrates further dialed in?
do you have a link for cipro? i did a 100 percent water change and the moma just shiveled up to nothing, and deattached free floating in my pico , maybe i shud give this a try i feel liek if i dont do anything it WILL die

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 45.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back