CIPROFLOXACIN: IN CURING ANEMONES.

Have you ever used ciprofloxacin to treat anemones?

• Total voters

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 4: morning required an additional change in water... turns out my pump stopped working. It resulted in the water turning almost milky white and the anemone not looking its best, still very responsive to touch but I fear the worst right now...I did the water change this morning and left for work. I also dropped my dosage to 250 mg of Ciprofloxacin.
I am hoping I come home to improved conditions with the new pump running.

Also, be careful when you administer the medication...light degrades the Cipro, so it's recommended that you put medication in before lights out. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn't stop the meds...continue the treatment. It's not looking good, but IMO, continued doses of medication can only help. How many days have you been treating? I think 7 straight is ideal and don't end treatment early. Good luck!

We are on day 4 today.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through the same thing last year with two Blue haddoni's. May I ask where you got it? just wondering if it is the same place? one was dieing before I got it in the tank and the other looked good for a day or two.
Anyway Cipro did not save mine. I am on the fence on if it helps or actually stresses the anemone more. Some people swear it helps. Once they start the decline I see no reason not to treat it though, might save it, might not but without it they die anyway.

Hope it saves yours.

There are 3 antibiotics studied to help, Cipro was deemed most effective but like with people there are many other factors and there can be variations in efficacy between specimens. I’d say it generally helps depending on:

- proper diagnosis
- medication purity (big issue for many fish meds)
- infection stage
- environment

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 3 antibiotics studied to help, Cipro was deemed most effective but like with people there are many other factors and there can be variations in efficacy between specimens. I’d say it generally helps depending on:

- proper diagnosis
- medication purity (big issue for many fish meds)
- infection stage
- environment
+1

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm thinking too far ahead BUT wouldn't it be convenient if R2R creates a dedicated "Medication" forum (has to be proven and positive method) with brief description(s) of proper ID of medication etc. involved? And without going into too much in depth details, there would be links to read and learn on top of that?

Makes it a whole lot easier than creating clusters of threads after threads of the same questions but titled differently? Just saying .... don't shoot me ;Blackeye

Livestock: Anemone
Symptom: Gapping mouth syndrome (just a figure of speech ...)
Medication: Ciprofloxacin (Fish Flox)
Where to Buy/Order: Amazon, Ebay, local pharmacy etc.
Quarantine Period: Approximate 10 Days
Read Thread links(s): https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ciprofloxacin-in-curing-anemones.353347/#post-4394877
Reefer Reviews?: :D or ;Vomit

Good idea if it can be implemented

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn't stop the meds...continue the treatment. It's not looking good, but IMO, continued doses of medication can only help. How many days have you been treating? I think 7 straight is ideal and don't end treatment early. Good luck!

I'd generally agree but for 3 considerations to keep in mind: 1) pump failure caused the deterioration not the treatment, so in some sense it wouldn't be unlike stopping say pneumonia treatment to remove a ruptured appendix; 2) Cipro barely biodegrades in both soil and water (up to 29 days in freshwater and longer, could be slightly shorter in saltwater), giving the nem a short break shouldn't make a difference; 3) the treatment protocol is largely anecdotal, we don't know if the treatment period should last 3-6-9 or 12 days or for that matter if 100-250-500mg of cipro are equally effective

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd generally agree but for 3 considerations to keep in mind: 1) pump failure caused the deterioration not the treatment, so in some sense it wouldn't be unlike stopping say pneumonia treatment to remove a ruptured appendix; 2) Cipro barely biodegrades in both soil and water (up to 29 days in freshwater and longer, could be slightly shorter in saltwater), giving the nem a short break shouldn't make a difference; 3) the treatment protocol is largely anecdotal, we don't know if the treatment period should last 3-6-9 or 12 days or for that matter if 100-250-500mg of cipro are equally effective

I agree about the unknown and it being anecdotal. Most of the success stories have treated for 7 days and generally if treated again, the lower the efficiency of the meds. I'd just be worried about stopping treatment and infection gaining a stronger hold. Great discussion! The best thing is that we're all trying to help and hope the nem pulls through.

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well #%^* observing now... looks like my heater was unplugged. :( 2 strikes the water didn’t get super cold but I feel it got cold enough... brought the temp slowly back up. Not looking good starting to fear the worst.
Still sticky to the touch. Mouth is closing slowly.

55281241-51AA-47F6-A7E5-AE53FD932915.jpeg

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the DNA Topoisomerase of the algae must be different enough that the drug does not bind... Interesting

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well #%^* observing now... looks like my heater was unplugged. [emoji20] 2 strikes the water didn’t get super cold but I feel it got cold enough... brought the temp slowly back up. Not looking good starting to fear the worst.
Still sticky to the touch. Mouth is closing slowly.

55281241-51AA-47F6-A7E5-AE53FD932915.jpeg

Is this pic after a water change?

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is still a possibility of the antibiotic causing stress to the animal - running some carbon for a day should not hurt as cipro lasts in tissue for quite some time - I think the reaction is caused by the waterborne cipro as it can activate sensory receptors

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 90 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 71 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 32 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back