CIPROFLOXACIN: IN CURING ANEMONES.

Have you ever used ciprofloxacin to treat anemones?

• Total voters

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been in the hobby many years now and I can confidently say That I have lost one too many anemones once before. As hobbyists not only is it our responsibility and duty to look after the creatures we care for but provide additional support when something has gone wrong. You could say that every anemone and every specimen is different, in terms of collection and handling and what aquariums they go to. There is unfortunately so much death in this industry... for anemones.
I recently acquired a haddoni Blue carpet anemone, but with this I have had to go above and beyond to try and save This specimen so far. Countless hours of research has ultimately led me to create this thread.
I first discovered the use of ciprofloxacin during this research. And the credit goes to OrionN, from reef central. Thread below
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2271385

So let’s get on with it... my blue carpet did what I thought to be was excellent in my DT tank (display tank), however one week later I was faced with the dreaded deflating and gaping mouth conundrum. This simply wasn’t going to cut it for me I knew I had to do something as this anemone came with a price tag. After reading the protocol for OrionN, I made it my number one priority to source ciprofloxacin! And I was able to do so. Before we get too far here I’m going to Tell you this is not a 100% guarantee... as I am just starting this myself this is more or less a follow along with me. As I treat this anemone! I am hoping that I am successful in this treatment and that through this thread we can have a great discussion and try to save some creatures in this hobby doing so. They truly are magnificent and deserve a thread dedicated to trying to save them.
Tonight I went through the steps of sourcing out yet another quarantine tank” yes I set another because one is never enough!
I went with what the protocol called for standard 10 gallon that I picked up from Petsmart for about 70 bucks.... I know what you’re thinking I spent 70 bucks on a 10 gallon aquarium am I crazy?! Yeah I felt the same way trust me but I had no other choice given the time I had to react.
However I do have a kessil over that aquarium so it’s pretty cool looking...
I ordered my ciprofloxacin from an online dealer.
http://www.fishmoxfishflex.com/
Took me all of about two hours to get everything set up and prepped for the ten day period. I dose tonight right before lights out and jump right into a 500 mg dosage, I went with this high of a dose because my medicine came three days delayed and my carpet started decking pretty severely since then.
About one hour into the treatment my carpet has regained foothold and perked up quite a bit, now it’s much much too early to tell if this is an effect of the medicine.
This is going to be a 10 day long thread of me actively engaged throughout the entire treatment process of treating this carpet.
Below are a few pics of my set up and my carpet. Pics are from day one currently see below, And it begins!!!

965866F4-EE59-4190-B664-50869B4C9C40.jpeg

8E0AFF26-EF92-4222-8CB4-7B386D085671.jpeg

0BAD41D2-5EAC-4D97-9E9D-4CCC371D7CD2.jpeg

D38E52EF-3D8C-414F-9AE1-27AC0EFE7AF5.jpeg

753049C8-8A17-4D82-B76B-189622B84C64.jpeg

B476EAE3-7D84-49C7-BE1B-4994EF534F37.jpeg

440AE3E8-1A12-45B9-AE5B-57EF8ADAD763.jpeg

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also get cipro on Ebay, search "fish flox". It's cheaper than the link provided but probably won't get to you as quick.

Good luck with treatment. Keep an eye out for waste and remove as you see it.

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also get cipro on Ebay, search "fish flox". It's cheaper than the link provided but probably won't get to you as quick.

Good luck with treatment. Keep an eye out for waste and remove as you see it.
Yes! I saw that but the shipping time was to slow for my immediate requirements! I have removed quite a bit so far.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried it twice, it worked once most likely due to my error. The second time I changed 100% water every day. Good luck! Following

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My memory may be wrong, but I think mine had its mouth open throughout the treatment and a few days after. I didn’t have any protocol to follow though.
Good information, perhaps it’s their response to the meds? I read it’s supposed to close up?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good information, perhaps it’s their response to the meds? I read it’s supposed to close up?

It’s definigely a response to stress and yes the meds filled water would be “weird” to an anemone. They can also keep the mouth open before splitting.

You can see if it’s responding to touch and just before doing a water change try to feed a piece of mysis or something tiny. I stopped treatment when it tried to eat. Not recommending you stop before 10 days though, sounds like this protocol has worked well.

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I have changed some things, I don’t like dissolving the meds directly in the powerhead, I found it to be time consuming. Instead I used a frag cup 1/4th full of saltwater to dilute, stirring with a pipet and poring into powerhead instead.

I have removed what looks to be 4 or 5 cups of slime and mucus so far. It’s averaging out to be 2 cups a day of what looks to be extruded mucus and waste using a pipet. The anemone is responsive to touch today! And stuck to me!

Still going with 500mg Ciprofloxacin daily.

Note: when I do the 100% water change the before adding the ciprofloxacin the mouth shrinks up. When the ciprofloxacin is re added the anemones mouth gapes once again. I’m thinking stress response.

28D7B385-6A46-45A1-B029-FE750B18C632.jpeg

BA06E3BD-D9F6-441C-B6EA-95FA5E462DD9.jpeg

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck...it is a pain in the rear to have to change water daily, but it will be worth it if it pulls through. Beautiful nem! I did the treatment a few years ago with a Gigantea(still with me today) and changed 5 gallons daily using 250 mg of Cipro.
Here's my thread and hopefully there's some useful info you can use...
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-gig-progress-treatment.181492/

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck...it is a pain in the rear to have to change water daily, but it will be worth it if it pulls through. Beautiful nem! I did the treatment a few years ago with a Gigantea(still with me today) and changed 5 gallons daily using 250 mg of Cipro.
Here's my thread and hopefully there's some useful info you can use...
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-gig-progress-treatment.181492/

Throughout this whole process I agree the biggest pain is Definitely the water changes... honestly I think the thing that’s really going to benefit the most is my 75 gallon, I will do almost the complete water change on it over the course of 10 days doing 10 gallons daily. My SpS sure do love it. The negative thing is the cost of Salt nobody really talks about that.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I have changed some things, I don’t like dissolving the meds directly in the powerhead, I found it to be time consuming. Instead I used a frag cup 1/4th full of saltwater to dilute, stirring with a pipet and poring into powerhead instead.

I have removed what looks to be 4 or 5 cups of slime and mucus so far. It’s averaging out to be 2 cups a day of what looks to be extruded mucus and waste using a pipet. The anemone is responsive to touch today! And stuck to me!

Still going with 500mg Ciprofloxacin daily.

Note: when I do the 100% water change the before adding the ciprofloxacin the mouth shrinks up. When the ciprofloxacin is re added the anemones mouth gapes once again. I’m thinking stress response.

28D7B385-6A46-45A1-B029-FE750B18C632.jpeg

BA06E3BD-D9F6-441C-B6EA-95FA5E462DD9.jpeg

Yup definitely stress response, good sign the mouth closes when you change water. It’s getting enough light right? Keep us posted, great thread and hope the treatment works!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back