Cirrhilabrus brunneus

declanisadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone keeping these guys? I've only seen them available a few times, and I've always thought they were super unique/interesting wrasses. I would love to see some pics, and get some feedback on how they do in our tanks. Thanks!

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont keep one, but had one included in my recent order until the last second.

Interested in the responses

OP
OP
declanisadog

declanisadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen them for sale several times, but never see them in anyone's tank. I suppose for some reason they may be more difficult to keep alive than some of their more prolific close relatives?

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have one that came from DD. He can be a butt head and will chase the bigger wrasses around the tank at times. Mine gets along with my Pintail as well, even with them being from the same wrasse complex.

They aren't any more difficult to keep then any other wrasse.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How good looking is it? Glad to know it does ok with pintail, I was choosing between the two.

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How good looking is it? Glad to know it does ok with pintail, I was choosing between the two.

I think he looks unique and clearly different from all the Reds/Orange we see so much of. The black/brown and gold blotch on the side makes him very different. I will see if I can get some pics tomorrow of him. I've not taken any photos since originally putting him in the tank. Now I did start with a nice sized male as well. Plus I don't recommend what I did either. I didn't QT him. I acclimated him in my bucket and then did a drip to bring up Salinity and put him directly into my Display. Then over the next 10+ days I did multiple Metro/General Cure + Focus rounds mixed with frozen food. Then just kept an eye on him to make sure that he didn't have parasites.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture would be great!

OP
OP
declanisadog

declanisadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he looks unique and clearly different from all the Reds/Orange we see so much of. The black/brown and gold blotch on the side makes him very different. I will see if I can get some pics tomorrow of him. I've not taken any photos since originally putting him in the tank. Now I did start with a nice sized male as well. Plus I don't recommend what I did either. I didn't QT him. I acclimated him in my bucket and then did a drip to bring up Salinity and put him directly into my Display. Then over the next 10+ days I did multiple Metro/General Cure + Focus rounds mixed with frozen food. Then just kept an eye on him to make sure that he didn't have parasites.
Yeah, that’s what is drawing me to them. I love the unique colors. Thanks for the input, and pics would be great!

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a juvi for a couple months now in my grow out tank. It’s in with a pintail, a cresant, a Katherine’s and a black leopard. Although they all get along now I know as they mature and get more aggressive they’ll make there way into the DT.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9e210d3fae9315c5a5887849dac8dd70.jpg

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Great fish

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a juvenile by any means, and has nice coloration as well. When I got him he was probably just around 2”. In the time I’ve had him he has grown another 1/2” I would say. Will have to see if I can get a better pic of him flashing. He was against the black towards the top and wasn’t very photogenic.
EF1C2F30-ABFE-49BF-A13F-443FC0ED2901.jpeg

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had mine about 5 months, no problems, gets along with other wrasses including pintail and crescent tail... (shows less red and darker in person)

How much $ do they go for ? I think that I paid about $40 at LFS

B0BF616C-A7F2-4A1D-AA38-1D6E6999ABAF.jpeg

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice wrasse! I'm liking this one, thanks for the pictures

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had one for about 2 yrs and it is one my favorite fish. Ate out of my hand. They are in the same sub family as Pintail and Lunatus but they are all very docile. Based on my experience they would be fine together in tank of 80 gallons and over. I have seen some with black upper body and all yellow bottom. Mine was more of a black and red upper and yellow lower.

With all of the "orange" wrasses it provides great contrast. Some choose the Exquisite for that contrast but Brunneus would be my choice 100% of the time. I believe collection is greatest from late December and January to May.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not the best pics but two prior to move over to the 93 cube and one after. This was in January last year. My LFS has had one in one of their display tanks for over a couple of years now and he is jet black with yellow. Has nice lyretail.

Bruno.jpeg

Bruno 2.jpeg

Bruno 3.jpeg

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best pics but two prior to move over to the 93 cube and one after. This was in January last year. My LFS has had one in one of their display tanks for over a couple of years now and he is jet black with yellow. Has nice lyretail.

Crescent Tail. ;)

I took a look at your build thread, sorry to hear you had to deal with velvet. Do you still have your Lineatus, Rhomboid, and Pintail in your open top tank? Playing Roulette doing that if they are still with you. I have a rimless and had way to many carpet surf, so I built a canopy. Couldn't stand losing my wrasses all the time.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Crescent Tail. ;)

I took a look at your build thread, sorry to hear you had to deal with velvet. Do you still have your Lineatus, Rhomboid, and Pintail in your open top tank? Playing Roulette doing that if they are still with you. I have a rimless and had way to many carpet surf, so I built a canopy. Couldn't stand losing my wrasses all the time.
I have always had mesh top and have never had a carpet surfer. I have heard others lose wrasses with just a canopy.

I lost the Rhomboid at the end of QT with a stubborn intestinal issue and lost the Pintail to what I have narrowed down to head injury. For wrasses I currently have Lineatus, Jordani and Attenuatus.

ghstrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres my Brunny flashing. Just got his deeper colors recently and now flashes at night. I just put a huge super male Pintail in the tank so hopefully they will get along.

Attachments

• IMG_5555.MOV
    74.6 MB

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back