ck stag odd circumstances

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed a couple small spots in strange locations on my ck stag, where it basically rtn'd. I've had no swings, no changes of any sorts, nothing out of the ordinary. I noticed this same thing happen to this coral several months ago as well where the under side of a branch basically lost the skin for no apparent reason. I also had no swings or odd ball parameters last time either. That time it healed right away with no issue & kept growing.

This time the area is much smaller, but I also see some skin flapping at the base, also in a shaded spot. I looked very good with a flash light & see no signs of red bugs or aefw. I find it odd as I have had some big alk swings in the past that this coral was basically unaffected by, so I'd more or less put it on my bullet proof acro list.

Just wondering if others have noticed this with theirs. I'm sure there has to be quite a few with this coral in the club. I'm attaching a pic, you can see a spot about half way down, & another on the lower right branch. & the edge of the base under that branch.

20141029_203834.jpg

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked around for anything that might sting it and saw nothing. Its surrounded by monti and green slimer but thats it. The only thing I just thought of is I was working that side of the tank a little yesterday and broke a bunch of pieces of the green monti by accident. I know that thing slimes pretty excessively maybe some stray slime floated away onto the acro? I don't know I would doubt that would do anything.

I don't have any fish or inverts that would attack coral. Sometimes I see the tangs peck at the tips of the sps but I never saw them damage anything.

chriskid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this yongi for over 10 years and only found when nitrates are extremely high, or a piece of shrimp or squid gets stuck in the branch's. Other then that I do consider it bulletproof .

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you consider extremely high? I haven't tested in a really long time. Po4 is about 0.2

I'll have to go test the nitrates.

chriskid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you consider extremely high? I haven't tested in a really long time. Po4 is about 0.2

I'll have to go test the nitrates.
when my wedding wuz going on a snail got in my ETSS drive pump:( my trates got around 140!!!!

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I'm sure mine's not nearly that high. It's generally less than 5.

So some more of the skin peeled away, basically all the shaded parts. All the rest looks good still & the stn seems to have stopped for now. Didn't get a second to test the nitrates yet.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the nitrates were at an all time high. 12ppm. I did find that my Ca dropped down to 340. I'm thinking that probably is the problem.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back