clam acclimation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chrisz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Chrisz

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 20, 2009
Messages
373
Reaction score
104
Location
Duluth, MN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you drip acclimate Maxima clams or treat them like a coral and temp acclimate only?
 
I treat them like inverts, so I give about 30-45 minutes acclimation.
 
I do a very long drip acclimation, possibly overkill, but I do think clams count as some of the most sensitive inverts (for water chemistry). I put the bag with the clam inside of a 5g bucket, and then slow drip (1-2 drops per second) for 1.5-2.5 hours, with a small heater in bottom of bucket (outside the bag) to keep it near tank temp if ambient temp is much different. Basically enough to flush the bag volume a couple times over.

Then if it's a sufficiently healthy clam, I take out of water, and toothbrush the shell staying clear of the byssal opening and hinge, covering byssal opening with finger if need be. Also inspect for pyramid snails or other pest looking things. If it's not healthy (byssal opening looks sunken in which means its body isn't full / it's starving or injured, or seems to have a hard time holding itself tightly shut), I just visually inspect without brushing.
 
I usually drip for hours, as there is no harm in doing so, but going too fast can definitely cause stress. Salinity and pH swings are the biggest factor when acclimating them (and most inverts), so slow is preferred.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new