Clam closed up more after T5 change?

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had a very healthy 6" maxima for about a year now that has always had it's mantle fully open for my entire lighting cycle from about 8am- 9pm (I run long low light ramp up and down periods with peak lighting only lasting from about 12-3). However, since changing my T5s recently the clam stays mostly closed up until peak lighting at which time it fully extends it's mantle through the duration of peak lighting and for an hour or two thereafter.

I'm running T5 / LED hybrid lighting so not a huge change as the LED cycles have stayed constant. Does this sound normal following a lighting change for a clam?

Thanks

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds normal, an adjustment to the increase in par. As long as your getting growth then I wouldn't worry to much since the clam doesn't stay completely retracted the entire day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I know the answer but just want to confirm with the clam experts before I pull it. Mantle is progressively sinking in. Is it a goner?

This clam has been super happy and growing for a year or so now in my tank so I'm really shocked a T5 lighting change took it out especially since they can handle high light. Water parameters have remained very good so the lighting was the only thing off. I did also lose a long time hammer and pink nepthea that was growing really well post T5 switch. Lesson learned to not burn in T5's over a tank. I figured since I had a hybrid fixture changing only 2 bulbs at a time and burning them in at 100% power over the tank wouldn't be that big of a deal (I think what really did it was the 8 hours of 100% for burn in vs. my ramp up schedule that only runs about 4 hours at 100% on the T5s). Looks like I was wrong. :(

Actually, one other possibility here is that the elegance next to it stung it and caused issue. But they have been next to each other and touch here and there for the past year with no issue. However maybe since they both have grown and are a bit closer now that could be a culprit as well. Are clams known to be effected by neighboring coral stings?

IMG_20190406_122356.jpg

campaign000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to say but it's a goner.
Lighting shock can absolutely kill a heathy clam in a very short time. You can't tell how much does the lighting change until you have a par meter.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light shock is real but I just can't see 2 T5 bulbs doing this but anything is possible. I would replace both halides on a 75 and never saw an issue with squamosa and derasa.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

In terms of clams I had a similar issue, sorta but mine wasn’t light change. My clam has stayed in the same spot for a good 15 months, and I then moved a large leather that was kinda growing over the top of the clam. (Like big shade tree). Before the move the clam was happy, it had normal response to movement of light, always had the mantle out but it never has opened wide up. The Shell ends were nice and shiney white showing growth etc. Two days after the change my clam didn’t throw his mantle out in full. Third day he was gone. Not sure what I did but it seems maybe moving the leather away from it either changed the flow or he had way too much light. Any thoughts?

campaign000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

In terms of clams I had a similar issue, sorta but mine wasn’t light change. My clam has stayed in the same spot for a good 15 months, and I then moved a large leather that was kinda growing over the top of the clam. (Like big shade tree). Before the move the clam was happy, it had normal response to movement of light, always had the mantle out but it never has opened wide up. The Shell ends were nice and shiney white showing growth etc. Two days after the change my clam didn’t throw his mantle out in full. Third day he was gone. Not sure what I did but it seems maybe moving the leather away from it either changed the flow or he had way too much light. Any thoughts?

IMO u probably hurted the byssal when moving the leather, to which some clams are very sensitive. In fact I believe byssal damage is the only way can kill a heathy clam within three days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light shock is real but I just can't see 2 T5 bulbs doing this but anything is possible. I would replace both halides on a 75 and never saw an issue with squamosa and derasa.

Sorry to say but it's a goner.
Lighting shock can absolutely kill a heathy clam in a very short time. You can't tell how much does the lighting change until you have a par meter.

Thank guys. I do have a good par meter and the par increase really wasn't that much - maybe 50 par. The big change was going from 4 hours at 100% to 8 hours per day at 100% for burn in on the bulbs. I don't think it was the par increase as much as the length of peak lighting since I was trying to get through the burn in quickly.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank guys. I do have a good par meter and the par increase really wasn't that much - maybe 50 par. The big change was going from 4 hours at 100% to 8 hours per day at 100% for burn in on the bulbs. I don't think it was the par increase as much as the length of peak lighting since I was trying to get through the burn in quickly.
Sorry to hear man. I wouldn't remove the clam just yet

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO u probably hurted the byssal when moving the leather, to which some clams are very sensitive. In fact I believe byssal damage is the only way can kill a heathy clam within three days.

Hello,

My clam never attached he was close to 4 inches when I first bought him. The only reason I know this is because sometimes turbo snails or other critters use to move him slightly. Several times coming home from work one side would be closer and I would have to move him back. But I did this daily for over a year and never had s problem.

I know small clams attach because they fall over easy but some that are 3 inches and larger usually do not and they seal that opening to keep anything else out. I guess anything is possible but I wouldn’t suspect that was it.

campaign000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My clam never attached he was close to 4 inches when I first bought him. The only reason I know this is because sometimes turbo snails or other critters use to move him slightly. Several times coming home from work one side would be closer and I would have to move him back. But I did this daily for over a year and never had s problem.

I know small clams attach because they fall over easy but some that are 3 inches and larger usually do not and they seal that opening to keep anything else out. I guess anything is possible but I wouldn’t suspect that was it.

Size doesn't matter. I have 20 clams now and almost all attached including 5" tihitian maxima, two 6"Squamosas and 12" derasa.
Frequent movement isn't a good idea, sometimes u hurt it but u don't know.
Believe it or not.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back