Clam ID

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scored this clam today. it was labeled as Maxima but I'm not sure of the ID. Looking at the very short scutes (more like scales) and also how fat the clam looks compared to usual Maximas.
Any thoughts on the ID for this one?
IMAG3291.jpg

IMAG3293.jpg

IMAG3295.jpg

IMAG3303.jpg

IMAG3304.jpg

Thanks.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crocea.

Last edited:

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scored this clam today. it was labeled as Maxima but I'm not sure of the ID. Looking at the very short scutes (more like scales) and also how fat the clam looks compared to usual Maximas.
Any thoughts on the ID for this one?
IMAG3291.jpg

IMAG3293.jpg

IMAG3295.jpg

IMAG3303.jpg

IMAG3304.jpg

Thanks.
Nice clam.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to say it's T. crocea, the scutes aren't as defined or large as maximas usually are. Also, it's gorgeous!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i could totally be wrong

image014.jpg

Figure 7: The underside of a Tridacna squamosa specimen with a very small byssal opening.

Tridacna maxima
— shell typically has 5 distinct ribs
— ribs have numerous very tightly-spaced, but light scutes; however, these are typically eroded away by the burrowing activities of this species when in their natural habitat. Thus, specimens that have been collected "in the wild", typically have numerous scutes present only on the upper portion of the shell. Those raised in captivity are not provided the opportunity to burrow into substrates and thus retain most, or all of the scutes.
— upper margin is strongly curved and each valve is symmetrical to the other*

— byssal opening is variable in size, being moderate to relatively large
— mantle extension can be well past the margin, completely hiding the shell and scutes
— incurrent siphon is ringed with numerous small, simple tentacles*

Tridacna maxima is occasionally confused with T. squamosa. However, the overall elongation/asymmetry of the shell, the closely spaced nature of the smaller scutes, and the presence of small, simple siphonal tentacles of T. maxima help in differentiating the two.

image016.jpg

Figure 8: Two Tridacna maxima shells showing strong asymmetry, distinct ribs, and closely-spaced scutes.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tahitian Maxima, seems like this time of year we get a crop of them for a couple months. Look around at the local common vendors on line and you can pretty much find them any where. Unfortunately they have a bad rap of looking like they are thriving for months and then a quick decline, I have found this to be true as well and stopped buying them about a decade ago. :(

The mantle hangs off/droops the margins of the shell much like a Crocea.

Not my image of Tahitian Maxima.

clamtih.jpg

BrettMallette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is Crocea.
Screenshot_20170514-155642.png

From an article by James Fatherree on Reefkeeping.com about shell appearance im crocea. Its size and number of ribs makes me thinks its a Crocea.

needbiggertanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good points, but I just dont think crocea when i also take into account the mantle... hmm. Could be, but i still wanna say maxima.

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tahitian Maxima, seems like this time of year we get a crop of them for a couple months. Look around at the local common vendors on line and you can pretty much find them any where. Unfortunately they have a bad rap of looking like they are thriving for months and then a quick decline, I have found this to be true as well and stopped buying them about a decade ago. :(

The mantle hangs off/droops the margins of the shell much like a Crocea.

Not my image of Tahitian Maxima.

clamtih.jpg

Thanks for all the replies.
Indeed chexked with LFs and is Tahitian as he says. Grreat catch. Can u plz elaborate on how you knew it was Tahitian ?
I hope u are not right about the quick decline thing :(
Being Tahitian can it still be a croccea or other or is it confirmed maxima ?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a maxima for sure.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies.
Indeed chexked with LFs and is Tahitian as he says. Grreat catch. Can u plz elaborate on how you knew it was Tahitian ?
I hope u are not right about the quick decline thing :(
Being Tahitian can it still be a croccea or other or is it confirmed maxima ?

Tahitians have the broad and wide base, they appear rounded. The mantle of most maxima flares over the margins of the shell, with the Tahitian the mantle draping the shell margin much like Crocea. Coloration of the mantle tends toward shades of green, turquiose, with some black areas, smattering of blue, occasionally you'll see the stunning Tahitian Maxima in a pink coloration.

As for the concerns of longevity, it's probably best to provide a high par, ideally metal halide. The consensus among hobbyist appears to center around these clams being maricultured, in the aquarium lighting may be insignificant even though adequate for other clam types. Clams are finicky, there is no real literature regarding what protozoa they may have that may lead to PMD.

If I had the finances to acquire another Tahitian Maxima I would, and I hope your does very well. Look round, I believe RC just had a thread on maricultured Maximas.

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info Tahoe, indeed it is Turquoise or green when seen from above. Its the first Time I get a Tahitian one Its currently in my cube in Dubai lit by radion G4 but I'm taking it back to my tank in Lebanon when I travel this week end there it will be under halides and LEDs so much more par.
Thanks for all the info.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 119 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back