Clam PM Help

TommyGo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My maxima clam (size ~3") has had what looks to me like pinched mantle since December 13th. I though it might be agitated from the algae growing on its shell so I brushed it off. It doesn't seem to be getting better. What can I do to remedy this? Thanks in advance for the help.

Tank Parameters are generally as listed below:
Alkalinity: 8.4dkh
Calcium: 400ppm
magnesium: 1325ppm
nitrate: <1ppm but still traceable
Phosphate: 0.05ppm
Ph: 8.2
Salinity: 1.025

D3A5822A-356F-4E88-A9DD-37549C25597B.jpeg

Mopar reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything change from the 13th until now that you can think of? Does the clam respond when you wave your hand above it? Does the clam close up at night?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost looks like nipping but if it gets worse or doesn't improve then I'd recommend a freshwater dip. I'm not seeing any new white shell growth either so that could be a bad sign.

OP
OP
TommyGo

TommyGo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything change from the 13th until now that you can think of? Does the clam respond when you wave your hand above it? Does the clam close up at night?
I can't think of anything changing... But it does respond when I wave my hand and disrupt the light source. It is not fully closing at night.

OP
OP
TommyGo

TommyGo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost looks like nipping but if it gets worse or doesn't improve then I'd recommend a freshwater dip. I'm not seeing any new white shell growth either so that could be a bad sign.

I haven't seen anything nipping it. I have a purple tang, clownfish, cleaner shrimp, and watchman goby. I could only suspect the shrimp if any were bothering it. There has been some new white growth since I got the clam a couple months ago, but not much recently.

I'm hesitant on a FW dip because I've seen others do it and lose their clam.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the fish can nip the clam, the mucous the mantle produces can be very appealing to fish. Even tangs. I'd give it some time, hope it does better for you.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 FWD is not a problem for healthy clams, the sicker the clam the less likely they can tolerate 30 mins FWD.
That clams looks like he has PMD.
How long have you have him? How long has he been sick?
If it is PMD, the sooner you treat the better. If you wait too long then treatment is useless. If it is PMD, treatment with FWD absolutely help cure the problem, and the longer you wait, the less likely he will survive.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 64 46.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back