Clam recommendation

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a stable system. I have 2 tanks connected to one sump. In total about 200 gallons. I want a very large clam. I have setup the second tank mainly to display the clam. It is bare bottom. I have flat rock to put the clam on. Maxima seem more colorful but doesn't grow as big.

I am think of getting a squmosa. What would someone with experience recommend?

OP
OP
rcpalmer1

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Derasa or squamosa would be great. Derasa grows fast but the squamosa looks nice with a larger extended mantle, IMO. Looking forward to see whichever you choose.
I am going to a Frag swap next weekend. I hope to find a nice 6+ inch clam. I know any will be a muliti year wait but about how much slower would it be. Say if there was one of each the same size, About 6 in. around how big would you expect each to be in 2 years under the same condition.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's hard to answer to be honest. You can have the same exact species and in the same tank grow at different rates. Derasa will grow quicker than the squamosa but mantles on the squamosa will also add to that size. Our squamosa shell was about 12" or more but with the mantle extended it looked way bigger. Let's say you get one of each, the derasa may have a bigger shell in 2 years but the squamosa could appear just as large due to mantle extension. Our squamosa grew from around 3" to 12" in a 6 plus year span.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can grow at a rate up to 4-5 inches a year with enough light. 2-3 inches is probably more common.

Both deresa and squamosa might prefer to be placed in a dish of sand/substrate.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can scrub the shell with a toothbrush if you want. This only takes 10 seconds and some people find it more satisfying than just dropping it in after inspection. I usually hit the shell pretty good around the foot, but I take care to stay away from the soft tissue.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC nailed it, absolutely make sure you see some growth on the shell and ask how long they have had the clam for. Ideally it's a month or more. If you can get a healthy clam that is 70% of the battle right there.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back