Clam substrate

W Haymaker

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
137
Reaction score
136
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking many months ahead here but looking at a tank that focuses on clams as the first priority. The question I have is what substrate works best for maxima and squamosa? Possibly crocea.

I'd prefer to have a bare bottom, maybe travertine tile even. Maybe even coral rubble? I'm not a fan of sand long term however I would not be opposed if that is the best choice.

Anyone currently doing something similar with success? Maybe even some photos of current set ups?
 
Squamosa and derasa will do fine on substrate or bare bottom. I prefer to keep maxima and crocea on a rock, especially since crocea are rock boring. People have kept maximas and crocea on the bottom I'm sure, I prefer them higher in the tank. Heres a few clams we've kept over the years.
Screenshot_20181118-194939_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20181118-195402_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20180911-155433_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20180911-155747_Gallery.jpg
 
Squamosa and derasa will do fine on substrate or bare bottom. I prefer to keep maxima and crocea on a rock, especially since crocea are rock boring. People have kept maximas and crocea on the bottom I'm sure, I prefer them higher in the tank. Heres a few clams we've kept over the years.
Screenshot_20181118-194939_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20181118-195402_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20180911-155433_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20180911-155747_Gallery.jpg
I guess that takes care of that question. [emoji106] Thanks for that.
 
Be careful putting clams on rocks. If they aren’t happy they will move. They will push themselves off of rock work. I’ve had losses from this. I always like to start them on something at the bottom of the tank. Just my preference!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 35 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new