Clam surrounded by Monti Cap

divetoday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0785.jpg

I imagine that I can probably file this under bad ideas, but it occurred to me that it might be really cool to have my red monti cap frag grow up and around my clam. Since I've never seen that done before I'm guessing that's probably not a good idea, but a wonder if anyone else has had experience with that, or just an opinion?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some clams are found in the wild in corals. As long as the clam can still move its valve freely, I don't see an issue. If it becomes a problem then the monti can be broken away. I know with some tridacna, the underside of the mantle can actually erode away rock and coral.

Last edited:

Gexx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some clams are found in the wild in corals. As long as the clam can still move its valve freely, I don't see an issue. If it becomes a problem then the monti can be broken away. I know with some tridacna, the underside of the mantle can actually erode away rock and coral.
Ive had a maxima high up in the rocks for about a year, it have maneuvered itself so that i can see its byssal threads attached to the rock, can confirm it has eroded a bit away

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't have a problem at all. I've done this many times with Maxima and Derasa. Caps function as a great way to bring your clam closer to the light without losing tank realestate. The only issue is when the weight of the clam causes the Caps to collapse.
By the way that is a beautiful clam!

Here was my derasa clam in 2007
Aquarium2 008.jpg

aquarium 013.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back